Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is Mount Rushmore Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Mount Rushmore Next?

The cultural cleansing rolls on....

How Mount Rushmore Became Mount Rushmore

The South Dakota landmark has drawn criticism over the land it occupies, the main sculptor behind it and the legacies of the men it memorializes...

...The sculpture features the faces of four American presidents — Washington, Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Lincoln — carved into a granite slope over the Black Hills of South Dakota. In the eight decades since the carving was completed, it has never been without controversy.

So when President Trump announced in May that he would attend the festivities there, it invited even more scrutiny of the monument’s history, the leaders it celebrates, the sculptor who created it and the land it towers over.

Native Americans have long criticized the sculpture, in part because it was built on what had been Indigenous land. And more recently, amid a nationwide movement against racism that has toppled statues commemorating Confederate generals and other historical figures, some activists have called for Mount Rushmore to close.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/u...-rushmore.html
    On a positive note:

FBI: Record-shattering surge in gun checks as BLM, 2020 election, virus boost sales

The FBI recorded its highest-ever number of background checks for gun sales in June, a 70% jump over June 2019 and the latest evidence that more guns will be sold in 2020 than ever in American history.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...s-boosts-sales
    We are stocking up at my house...
    Last edited by seer; 07-02-2020, 06:39 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Practically speaking I don't anything can be done about Mount Rushmore. They have the advantage of size.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Practically speaking I don't anything can be done about Mount Rushmore. They have the advantage of size.
      Well they want to close the park, so I assume, that people can't come in.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

It's interesting to hear the anti-monument crowd talk so poorly about someone who "took up arms against the United States federal government to fight against encroachment by Northerners on Confederate territory and to preserve the traditional way of life of the South"

https://www.ilive4travel.com/crazy-h...-south-dakota/

Crazy Horse was born in the Black Hills of South Dakota in 1842 and was a native American. He fought against the US Government who were taking the land and changing the way of life of the native American people.
        He is one of the most famous native Americans and helped lead the assault against Custer leading to Custer’s death in 1876. He has honoured by the US Postal Service and appeared on a stamp in 1982.

Crazy-Horse.jpg
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I can tell you if someone were to damage Mt Rushmore, that could set off the country for real. Right now conservatives are just shaking their heads and complaining about the left's derangement, but if someone were to actually attack or destroy Mt Rushmore, I think people would have had enough of these terrorists and fight back. In the end the Democrat party would lose support of America and be disbanded.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I can tell you if someone were to damage Mt Rushmore, that could set off the country for real. Right now conservatives are just shaking their heads and complaining about the left's derangement, but if someone were to actually attack or destroy Mt Rushmore, I think people would have had enough of these terrorists and fight back. In the end the Democrat party would lose support of America and be disbanded.
            Because some fruitcake defaced Rushmore???

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
              Because some fruitcake defaced Rushmore???
              No, because that would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Well they want to close the park, so I assume, that people can't come in.
                Bah!

Comment

Right like the Lakota weren't warring with their neighboring tribes long before the white man showed up...

Sioux leaders call for Mount Rushmore to be 'removed'

'Lakota see the faces of men who lied, cheated and murdered innocent people'

https://www.theblaze.com/news/sioux-...-to-be-removed

There were many Native American tribes living on the Great Plains, competing for scarce resources. Of course, the various tribes came into conflict with each other.

The Lakota (or Sioux) is actually a broad group of people that includes the seven bands of the Western (or Teton) Lakota, the Dakota (Yankton and Yanktoni) and the Nakota (Santee). This group of tribes lived in the Plains for only a part of their known history. The Lakotas originally lived in the northern woodlands. They struggled with the Anishnabe (who were called Chippewa by the Lakota). The Anishnabe were armed with guns they had from trading with trappers.

The Lakota slowly migrated south and westward and pushed aside the Omaha tribe in this early migration. At first, they didn’t have horses, but horses were spreading throughout the Plains from Spanish settlements in the Southwest. By 1742 the Tetons had gotten horses and they became more and more like horse-riding nomads. In the Central Plains the Lakota came into conflict with the Pawnee, a village tribe that held the rich hunting lands of the Republican River Valley until the Lakota entered the region. The Pawnee war parties usually made their trips on foot, unlike other tribes. Because the Lakota were mounted on horses, they had an advantage.

http://nebraskastudies.org/1850-1874...ng-the-tribes/

https://www.oxfordreference.com/view...5071986-e-0618

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Right like the Lakota weren't warring with their neighboring tribes long before the white man showed up...
                    IIRC that area traded hands about every century.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The same thing can be said about the Buddhas of Bamyan

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        IIRC that area traded hands about every century.
                        We just happen to be the bigger more clever tribe....

Comment

Stop the lies! The Native Americans were all peaceful farmers and all of the tribes lived in peaceful harmony with each other and nature, without capitalistic greed and strife.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Stop the lies! The Native Americans were all peaceful farmers and all of the tribes lived in peaceful harmony with each other and nature, without capitalistic greed and strife.
                            I forgot - and they didn't enslave each other either...

Comment

If we all get together and push real hard, maybe we can topple it?

Comment