Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is Everything Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

"However, when she camps or hikes as an adult, Tariq said she still faces assumptions that she doesn't belong and a sense of "imposter syndrome" and fear -- even facing questions from rangers about whether she has followed park rules when she doesn't see white visitors asked the same questions.”
    Oh please that is just silly. Most of the state parks in my area have a good mix of races, and no one is treated differently. One of the problems is that many inner city families don't own cars, they generally use public transportation. They just don't have a way to get there. When we used to bring kids up from New York City (for a Christian camp), we had to go down and bus them up because none of the parents had cars.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It is, but nobody is making that argument either.
      Yeah, they are.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I thought it was a trivially obvious statement without any specifics. The question I would have is what kind of structural biases exist and how to do something productive about it. It might be that some of the minorities coming there experience bias against them.

Did you read the rest, it some interesting testimonies.

"However, when she camps or hikes as an adult, Tariq said she still faces assumptions that she doesn't belong and a sense of "imposter syndrome" and fear -- even facing questions from rangers about whether she has followed park rules when she doesn't see white visitors asked the same questions.”
        Paranoia is not evidence of racism.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Yeah, they are.
          No they aren’t. That argument is not made in this article and I know of no one making that argument.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Oh please that is just silly. Most of the state parks in my area have a good mix of races, and no one is treated differently. One of the problems is that many inner city families don't own cars, they generally use public transportation.
            I think that point is valid as well and wouldn’t be surprised if things were okay in many places.

Comment

I think that point is valid as well and wouldn’t be surprised if things were okay in many places.
              Maybe there is racism, but it's on the part of blacks. Maybe they consider that "white boy" or red neck activity and thus aren't interested in it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                Maybe there is racism, but it's on the part of blacks. Maybe they consider that "white boy" or red neck activity and thus aren't interested in it.
                Agreed, that's a possibility. I think it's fair game for that park to investigate it, do some research, talk to park guests. You know, all the sensible activity you'd do to find out if there is a problem and deal with it if it is there. Honestly I'm not calling for anything different and that's what I extracted from the article.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  I mean really, who is stopping brown and black people from going to parks?

America's national parks face existential crisis over race

As millions of Americans escape home quarantine to the great outdoors this summer, they'll venture into parks, campgrounds and forest lands that remain stubborn bastions of self-segregation.

"The outdoors and public lands suffer from the same systemic racism that the rest of our society does," said Joel Pannell, associate director of the Sierra Club, which is leading an effort to boost diversity in the wilderness and access to natural spaces.

New government data, shared first with ABC News, shows the country's premier outdoor spaces -- the 419 national parks -- remain overwhelmingly white. Just 23% of visitors to the parks were people of color, the National Park Service found in its most recent 10-year survey; 77% were white. Minorities make up 42% of the U.S. population

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/amer...l_twitter_abcn
                  IIRC there was a discussion about this a few years back and someone posted a couple studies showing that there just aren't very many blacks who enjoy camping. When given a choice between the mountains and the beach almost all will pick the latter every single time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    IIRC there was a discussion about this a few years back and someone posted a couple studies showing that there just aren't very many blacks who enjoy camping. When given a choice between the mountains and the beach almost all will pick the latter every single time.
                    Nah, man, that's based on facts. There is SYSTEMIC RACISM, period, and it starts with national parks!

Comment

I thought it was a trivially obvious statement without any specifics. The question I would have is what kind of structural biases exist and how to do something productive about it. It might be that some of the minorities coming there experience bias against them.

Did you read the rest, it some interesting testimonies.

That sounds more like paranoia on her part than racism on the park rangers part.

Women in general also don't like camping or hanging out in the woods compared to men. Is that sexism?

Comment

There is no biological reality to the concept of race, it remains entirely a social construction.
                        That is one crazy statement. Is that seriously what you meant to say?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                          I believe that he's saying that geneticists have conclusively demonstrated that race is an artificial construct and that genetically speaking we are remarkably homogeneous. IOW, genetic analysis has revealed that the vast majority of variation between humans correlates little, if at all, with any supposed racial boundaries[1].

In short, the fact that all humans are only one biological race has led modern biologists to conclude that race isn't a valid biological classification.

1. going back at least as far as Darwin when he observed that far larger differences could be observed within a "so-called race" (a term that he often employed) than between them. In pointing out the problems with even trying to divide humanity into separate races he emphatically stated that, "they graduate into each other, and that it is hardly possible to discover clear distinctive characters between them" as well as "It may be doubted whether any character can be named which is distinctive of a race and is constant.”

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In short, the fact that all humans are only one biological race has led modern biologists to conclude that race isn't a valid biological classification.
                            Didn't the bible tell us that?

Acts 17

God made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              I meant it exactly as I said it, the concept of race is entirely a social construction.

Comment

I believe that he's saying that geneticists have conclusively demonstrated that race is an artificial construct and that genetically speaking we are remarkably homogeneous. IOW, genetic analysis has revealed that the vast majority of variation between humans correlates little, if at all, with any supposed racial boundaries[1].

1. going back at least as far as Darwin when he observed that far larger differences could be observed within a "so-called race" (a term that he often employed) than between them. In pointing out the problems with even trying to divide humanity into separate races he emphatically stated that, "they graduate into each other, and that it is hardly possible to discover clear distinctive characters between them" as well as "It may be doubted whether any character can be named which is distinctive of a race and is constant.”

Comment