Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Boeing to pull the plug on its 747 jumbo jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing to pull the plug on its 747 jumbo jet

Then end of an era approaching...

Boeing to pull the plug on its 747 jumbo jet

(Reuters) - Boeing Co (BA.N) is pulling the plug on its 747 jumbo jet, Bloomberg News reported on Thursday.

The 747 democratized global air travel in the 1970s but fell behind modern twin-engine passenger jets.

The last 747-8 will roll out of a Seattle area factory in about two years, according to the Bloomberg report.

When contacted by Reuters, Boeing did not confirm the Bloomberg report.

“At a build rate of 0.5 airplanes per month, the 747-8 program has more than two years of production ahead of it in order to fulfill our current customer commitments,” a Boeing spokesman told Reuters.

“We will continue to make the right decisions to keep the production line healthy and meet customer needs.”
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I am amazed that airplanes really haven't changed much at all since the 1970s. Has the design just reached it's peak? Other than making them bigger and some better computer technology, they haven't changed much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I am amazed that airplanes really haven't changed much at all since the 1970s. Has the design just reached it's peak? Other than making them bigger and some better computer technology, they haven't changed much at all.
      Remember years ago that Popular Science had said that we would have "flying wing" type commercial passenger planes, with a spacious interior for people to walk around, etc....
      If I remember correctly, one of the problems was that people have a need to "see outside", and there wouldn't be "aisle and window" seating.

Then there's this "design" from back in 1948....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The engines have changed a LOT - much much quieter, far more fuel efficient. Lots of subtle changes to the wings, as well. The wing tips used to just end, but now everything has winglets at the tips to disrupt the turbulent air flow there.

But the basic "big flying tube" design handles a lot of things well - it's aerodynamic, maximizes internal space per external exposure, provides good structural integrity, ensures that all cabin spaces have windows, etc. There may be a design that maximizes one of these better, but you lose something else in the trade offs. The only reasons i see it going are one of the following:
        We go for hyper-fuel efficient aircraft.
        We go for electric aircraft.

Either of these introduces new things to the trade offs, and might force the consideration of new designs.

The exciting prospect for me would be if we go battery for the short hauls, hyper efficient for the long hauls that batteries won't work for. So you might have radically different designs for the different types of flight, which would appeal to my general geekery.

More directly on topic - one of my most indulgent moments was taking a decade's worth of frequent flier miles and getting a business class seat to Australia, which put me on the upper deck of a 747. Very much unlike the main cabin, which is so ridiculously large you can't believe it flies.
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          The engines have changed a LOT - much much quieter, far more fuel efficient. Lots of subtle changes to the wings, as well. The wing tips used to just end, but now everything has winglets at the tips to disrupt the turbulent air flow there.

But the basic "big flying tube" design handles a lot of things well - it's aerodynamic, maximizes internal space per external exposure, provides good structural integrity, ensures that all cabin spaces have windows, etc. There may be a design that maximizes one of these better, but you lose something else in the trade offs. The only reasons i see it going are one of the following:

Either of these introduces new things to the trade offs, and might force the consideration of new designs.
          Yup - form follows function.

The exciting prospect for me would be if we go battery for the short hauls, hyper efficient for the long hauls that batteries won't work for. So you might have radically different designs for the different types of flight, which would appeal to my general geekery.
          Pretty much the top surfaces of the wings could be solar cells?

More directly on topic - one of my most indulgent moments was taking a decade's worth of frequent flier miles and getting a business class seat to Australia, which put me on the upper deck of a 747. Very much unlike the main cabin, which is so ridiculously large you can't believe it flies.
          That would be wonderful. The closest I came to that was business class on a (777 / 787?) where we each had our own cocoon - you could literally lay flat if you wanted to.

Comment

The same can be said if you've ever been aboard an empty C-5. Of course I can imagine that the amenities are very different.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              The same can be said if you've ever been aboard an empty C-5. Of course I can imagine that the amenities are very different.
              Gibbs loves the canvas seats on the cargo planes!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                That would be wonderful. The closest I came to that was business class on a (777 / 787?) where we each had our own cocoon - you could literally lay flat if you wanted to.
                Yes, this was in the pre-cocoon days. I have flown in those business class seats, but not for flights as long as the one from LA -> Sydney.
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Yes, this was in the pre-cocoon days. I have flown in those business class seats, but not for flights as long as the one from LA -> Sydney.
                  Yeah, our flight was just Houston to Boston --- just about the time you got used to your little cocoon, it was time to deplane.

I flew to Israel in a coach seat, and SHEEEEESH...... would have LOVED to have done that either your way or the cocoon.

Comment

Remember years ago that Popular Science had said that we would have "flying wing" type commercial passenger planes, with a spacious interior for people to walk around, etc....
                    If I remember correctly, one of the problems was that people have a need to "see outside", and there wouldn't be "aisle and window" seating.

Then there's this "design" from back in 1948....

Transparent floors!

yeah that is one of the problem I have with planes. Lack of room. When they make the plane bigger they still don't give you room, they just pack in more seats. maybe something good will come of all this COVID nonsense and they will implement more space for social distancing on planes permanently, but I doubt it.

Comment

I want the sub-orbital planes they kept promising us so we could hop over to Europe in a less than an hour.

Comment

Yeah, our flight was just Houston to Boston --- just about the time you got used to your little cocoon, it was time to deplane.

I flew to Israel in a coach seat, and SHEEEEESH...... would have LOVED to have done that either your way or the cocoon.
                        I flew to Germany a few years ago and we purchased the "Premium plus" class on Delta. It was a joke. It was basically the same as coach but with very slightly larger seats and leg room (we are talking inches here) and the seats only went back like 3 inches. Totally not worth it.

I have a ton of air miles saved up but have never been able to use them on an international flight. Not enough for a flight or an upgrade, or if it is, the blackout dates are ridiculous and you would have to fly in the dead of winter (American Airlines). And I don't want to fly Delta ever again if I can help it, unless it is an Air France flight (partners with Delta) - Air France is more comfortable and better service.

Comment

Transparent floors!

yeah that is one of the problem I have with planes. Lack of room. When they make the plane bigger they still don't give you room, they just pack in more seats. maybe something good will come of all this COVID nonsense and they will implement more space for social distancing on planes permanently, but I doubt it.
                          Yup - max return on the investment means packing in as many people as possible per flight. Unless, of course, you want to pay the extra $49 per person per flight for 8 more inches of leg room, or whatever it is.

Comment

Yup - max return on the investment means packing in as many people as possible per flight. Unless, of course, you want to pay the extra $49 per person per flight for 8 more inches of leg room, or whatever it is.
                            Coming soon...

Comment

Sounds like a good decision if companies are starting to have their needs for huge transatlantic airlines filled. Those 747's were magnificent though.

Comment