Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Reawakening a Vista Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reawakening a Vista Computer

Just fun info...

My desktop computer died this week. It seems the cpu overheated. I had tried to slow the processing down because I had a problem of overheating for awhile. I will try another CPU so I can retrieve stuff from the drive before i decide what to do next.

I activated a Vista computer and, haha, was seeing the CPU running at 100%. I started killing various services: old printer support, Zend tools, update utilities, Symantec, windows installer ... It seems like the final things that worked were the deactivation of the BITS Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Windows Update. These certainly are of little benefit after so many years.

It is always fun to see what services can be removed without losing stuff that is still needed. I didn't list the things I was disabling until half way through this process.

What CPU was it that was overheating? What kind of cooler were you using for it?
    Sometimes all that's wrong is that the thermal paste needs to be cleaned off and replaced.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
      What CPU was it that was overheating? What kind of cooler were you using for it?
      Sometimes all that's wrong is that the thermal paste needs to be cleaned off and replaced.
      Yes. It was an i7-4790 That could have been the problem here. I have another CPU on the way and will see if the computer comes up okay

Comment

If the new one overheats too, you might have a faulty motherboard. On the other hand, if you habitually push your CPU to its limits, you might want to look into an AIO liquid cooler. Super easy to install and you can get an inexpensive one for around $65. Make sure you have room in the case for the radiator though. I'm not as familiar with Intel CPUs (I have an AMD Ryzen) but I think most of them nowadays will automatically throttle your speed if it gets too warm. Keep it cool and you'll get better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          If the new one overheats too, you might have a faulty motherboard. On the other hand, if you habitually push your CPU to its limits, you might want to look into an AIO liquid cooler. Super easy to install and you can get an inexpensive one for around $65. Make sure you have room in the case for the radiator though. I'm not as familiar with Intel CPUs (I have an AMD Ryzen) but I think most of them nowadays will automatically throttle your speed if it gets too warm. Keep it cool and you'll get better performance.
          I'm hoping that the computer will come alive long enough to move the content from the user directory to an unprotected location.

I had set slower performance options so I could keep the CPU cooler. We'll see if the motherboard survived this. If so, I can decide whether to add water cooling. The case has feed-holes for coolant lines -- maybe Liquid Nitrogen haha.

I briefly saw some of the prices for AMD CPUs. They used to be the low priced CPUs. I noticed one, in passing, that was about $3300. I'm curious what is available nowadays. I would like to go to instances of a virtualized operating system for internet access -- and restore the clean session afterwards.

Comment

I bought a Ryzen 7 3700x in December for $330. They are about $275 now. The more expensive ones are, IIRC, for things like servers and not a desktop computer.

A note on liquid cooling: you probably don't need the feed holes unless you're doing a custom loop, which is IMO more trouble than it's worth. Just stick with all-in-one (AIO) and be done with it. Install the radiator in the case where the case fans go, and the pump on the CPU itself, plug it in and viola, done. The tubes on mine go directly to the radiator with a little slack and aren't routed through anything.
            Here's a post with pictures: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post691922

Comment

Any update?

Comment