Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Washington Redskins May Finally Change Their Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Washington Redskins May Finally Change Their Name

You knew it was coming.

We've been here before, but this time, it will probably come about.

For years, Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder has been asked to change the controversial name of the NFL team, though he's always met the suggestion with refusal until now. The push for change comes on the heels of nationwide protests that erupted after the killing of George Floyd by police on May 25 calling to end systemic racism. The Washington Redskins may finally change their name after years of being called out, and there's no time like the present.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You knew it was coming.

For years, Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder has been asked to change the controversial name of the NFL team, though he's always met the suggestion with refusal until now. The push for change comes on the heels of nationwide protests that erupted after the killing of George Floyd by police on May 25 calling to end systemic racism. The Washington Redskins may finally change their name after years of being called out, and there's no time like the present.
    And in other news

Source: ‘It’s a literal insect’: Eyerolls all round as Virginia university pledges to examine wasp mascot over fears it’s ‘exclusive’

A university in Virginia has taken political correctness to extraordinary extremes with a pledge to examine whether its wasp mascot (yes, the insect) is hampering “inclusion and diversity” on campus.
    In the fraught atmosphere of America in 2020, Emory & Henry College has promised its students that it’s doing its part to address “systemic oppression.” As part of this noble endeavor, the powers that be in the liberal arts college have trained their sights on the ferocious insect that has been the university’s mascot for around 100 years.

The university’s president, Dr John Wells, explained in an email to students that, while the bug itself is OK, it’s also an acronym for America’s traditional privileged class, and some people might not feel welcome at the institution.

“The little wasp itself isn’t offensive, but the acronym WASP stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestant… it stands to make us seem exclusive of those not in that category,” Dr Wells wrote in emails to students that were published by the Young America’s Foundation.

The crest worn by the college’s sports teams clearly shows that the mascot is an insect so the abundance of caution displayed by the institution prompted an outpouring of disbelief on social media.

One mystified commenter wrote: “I’m so confused. Aren’t mascots normally removed because people claim they’re offensive to the group of people they may represent? But this one is offensive because it’s offensive to the people it supposedly doesn’t represent?”

Many others shared the article while specifically noting that it is not a parody. “The mascot is a literal insect,” Kara Zupkas of Young America’s Foundation stressed.

Emory & Henry’s website explains that the college football team was bestowed with the nickname in 1921 because of its ferocious defensive unit. Since then all the university’s teams have adopted the moniker. Prior to being called the Wasps, the team was known as the Whitetoppers, a name that definitely wouldn’t fly in 2020 America.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The irony is that actual American Indians aren't actually bothered by the name. It's just white privileged liberals being offended on their behalf.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        The irony is that actual American Indians aren't actually bothered by the name. It's just white privileged liberals being offended on their behalf.
        Back in 2014 Sen. Elizabeth Warren was among several Senators who demanded that the team change it's name.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Back in 2014 Sen. Elizabeth Warren was among several Senators who demanded that the team change it's name.
          Because she was 1/1024th offended?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think that describes about half of the outrage we're experiencing today.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              You knew it was coming.

I really don't care one way or the other. Admittedly, Dallas and Washington games won't be the same if they do change their name.

How about the Washington Gridlocks? It's more accurate and describes Washington these days.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                I really don't care one way or the other. Admittedly, Dallas and Washington games won't be the same if they do change their name.

How about the Washington Gridlocks? It's more accurate and describes Washington these days.
                I just posted it for info. I really don't care - I'm not a football fan. I think it's a bit silly, but it is what it is.

Comment

I vote for

Washington Partisans
                  Washington Weasels
                  Washington Bureaucrats
                  Washington Gridlock
                  Washington Hypocrites
                  Washington Overpaid Tax-Suuking Free Cadillac Medical Care And Vote Ourselves Huge Pay Increases Every Couple Of Years

Comment

Obviously they're not a monolithic group. I used to play poker with a guy from the local Indian college who was not only profoundly offended by it, he was also offended by the Kansas City Chiefs to the point of being involved with activism aimed at getting the team to change their name.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Then, when they're playing the Bills, when the team is on defense, the fans can chant VE-TO! VE-TO!
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Obviously they're not a monolithic group. I used to play poker with a guy from the local Indian college who was not only profoundly offended by it, he was also offended by the Kansas City Chiefs to the point of being involved with activism aimed at getting the team to change their name.
                        Which begs the question, are we obligated to change something just because someone has their nose out of joint?
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Which begs the question, are we obligated to change something just because someone has their nose out of joint?
                          Have you been hiding under a rock?

And not watching the news about Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima??

Etc.?

In other news, the Edmonton Eskimos is once again under fire in order to get them to change their name, as well.

I don't know what to.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            I vote for

Washington Partisans
                            Washington Weasels
                            Washington Bureaucrats
                            Washington Gridlock
                            Washington Hypocrites
                            Washington Overpaid Tax-Suuking Free Cadillac Medical Care And Vote Ourselves Huge Pay Increases Every Couple Of Years
                            Washington Bloodsuckers

Comment

Oh yes the irony....

In Minnesota, thousands of Native Americans protest Redskins’ name:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...b67_story.html

Comment