Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Washington Redskins May Finally Change Their Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    Oh yes the irony....

In Minnesota, thousands of Native Americans protest Redskins’ name:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...b67_story.html
    Across every demographic group, the vast majority of Native Americans say the team’s name does not offend them, including 80 percent who identify as politically liberal, 85 percent of college graduates, 90 percent of those enrolled in a tribe, 90 percent of non-football fans and 91 percent of those between the ages of 18 and 39.

Even 9 in 10 of those who have heard a great deal about the controversy say they are not bothered by the name. What makes those attitudes more striking: The general public appears to object more strongly to the name than Indians do. In a 2014 national ESPN poll, 23 percent of those reached called for “Redskins” to be retired because of its offensiveness to Native Americans — more than double the 9 percent of actual Native Americans who now say they are offended by it. A 2013 Post poll found that a higher proportion of Washington-area residents — 28 percent — wanted the moniker changed.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...-redskins-name

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The irony is that actual American Indians aren't actually bothered by the name. It's just white privileged liberals being offended on their behalf.
      Ummm....actually many of the ones I know are bothered by the name. There is a lot of stereotyping. I'm not opposed to the name change. I used to just shrug it off, but the more I read , and listen, the more I think it needs to be done.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The irony is that actual American Indians aren't actually bothered by the name.
        How unfortunate for you that search engines exist.

Comment

Across every demographic group, the vast majority of Native Americans say the team’s name does not offend them, including 80 percent who identify as politically liberal, 85 percent of college graduates, 90 percent of those enrolled in a tribe, 90 percent of non-football fans and 91 percent of those between the ages of 18 and 39.

Even 9 in 10 of those who have heard a great deal about the controversy say they are not bothered by the name. What makes those attitudes more striking: The general public appears to object more strongly to the name than Indians do. In a 2014 national ESPN poll, 23 percent of those reached called for “Redskins” to be retired because of its offensiveness to Native Americans — more than double the 9 percent of actual Native Americans who now say they are offended by it. A 2013 Post poll found that a higher proportion of Washington-area residents — 28 percent — wanted the moniker changed.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...-redskins-name

Barstoolsports.com

Comment

Barstoolsports.com

Hey, now, who knows sports better than them what occupy barstools?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Barstoolsports.com

The link to the poll goes to the Washington Post. From there I couldn't follow as it is behind a paywall.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                The link to the poll goes to the Washington Post. From there I couldn't follow as it is behind a paywall.
                So, did you ever tend bar?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  So, did you ever tend bar?
                  No, that's something I never did. You?

Comment

No, that's something I never did. You?
                    Never - but I was in quite a few bars in another official capacity.

Comment

Barstoolsports.com

It's actually a well known website in the sports world but it has a bad reputation for blatantly stealing content.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The irony is that actual American Indians aren't actually bothered by the name. It's just white privileged liberals being offended on their behalf.
                        Except for

1. Hoh Indian Tribe
                        2. Penobscot Nation
                        3. Samish Indian Nation
                        4. Shoshone-Bannock Tribes
                        5. Inter Tribal Council of Arizona
                        6. Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians Gun Lake Tribe
                        7. Native American Finance Officers Association (NAFOA)
                        8. Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians
                        9. Poarch Band of Creek Indians
                        10. Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians
                        11. The Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation
                        12. The Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes
                        13. The Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation

Source: https://www.changethemascot.org/supporters-of-change

Comment

Oh yes the irony....

In Minnesota, thousands of Native Americans protest Redskins’ name:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...b67_story.html
                          And yet two years later the WaPo conducted a poll of Native Americans concerning the team's name and lo and behold they found that 90% of the respondents were "not bothered" by the team's name. That 2016 poll confirms the results of an earlier Annenberg poll in 2004 which likewise found that 90% were not bothered by the name and only 9% found it offensive.

To say the least the MSM was not pleased with the results proclaiming that Native Americans just MUST be as offended and outraged as they are so in 2019 the WaPo conducted a second poll which addressed most of the concerns expressed about their first one. Guess what. They still found that the overwhelming majority, just under 70% aren't offended by the name.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Barstoolsports.com

Did you bother to click the link? Because they're actually quoting a Washington Post story.

So now watcha gonna do?

Comment

Yep, which is why I linked to the source I did.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                And yet two years later the WaPo conducted a poll of Native Americans concerning the team's name and lo and behold they found that 90% of the respondents were "not bothered" by the team's name. That 2016 poll confirms the results of an earlier Annenberg poll in 2004 which likewise found that 90% were not bothered by the name and only 9% found it offensive.
                                That's precisely the story being quoted by Barstoolsports.com which whag chose to laugh off.

So I guess liberals no longer consider the Washington Post to be credible.

Comment