Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Washington Redskins May Finally Change Their Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    Probably not a good idea to compare legitimate opposition to a racist team name (would you call a Native American a redskin?) to AIGish cartoonish propaganda.
    Funny how a majority of Native Americans polled said they are proud of rather than offended by the name "Redskin". I guess they didn't get the memo from white elitists like you.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...common-answer/
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Funny how a majority of Native Americans polled said they are proud of rather than offended by the name "Redskin". I guess they didn't get the memo from white elitists like you.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...common-answer/
      I’ll make sure to address all Native Americans as redskins, then. This will go over very well.

Comment

Funny how a majority of Native Americans polled said they are proud of rather than offended by the name "Redskin"
        This article is still citing the Washington Post poll, but do you know where they published the data and methodology of it? I'm still trying to find it.

Comment

"The whole issue is so silly to me," says Bob Burns, my wife's father and a bundle holder in the Blackfeet tribe. "The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

And I definitely don't know how I'll tell the athletes at Wellpinit (Wash.) High School -- where the student body is 91.2 percent Native American -- that the "Redskins" name they wear proudly across their chests is insulting them. Because they have no idea.

"I've talked to our students, our parents and our community about this and nobody finds any offense at all in it," says Tim Ames, the superintendent of Wellpinit schools. "'Redskins' is not an insult to our kids. 'Wagon burners' is an insult. 'Prairie n-----s' is an insult. Those are very upsetting to our kids. But 'Redskins' is an honorable name we wear with pride. … In fact, I'd like to see somebody come up here and try to change it."

Boy, you try to help some people …

And it's not going to be easy telling the Kingston (Okla.) High School (57.7 percent Native American) Redskins that the name they've worn on their uniforms for 104 years has been a joke on them this whole time. Because they wear it with honor.

"We have two great tribes here," says Kingston assistant school superintendent Ron Whipkey, "the Chicasaw and the Choctaw. And not one member of those tribes has ever come to me or our school with a complaint. It is a prideful thing to them."

"It's a name that honors the people," says Kingston English teacher Brett Hayes, who is Choctaw. "The word 'Oklahoma' itself is Choctaw for 'red people.' The students here don't want it changed. To them, it seems like it's just people who have no connection with the Native American culture, people out there trying to draw attention to themselves.

"My kids are really afraid we're going to lose the Redskin name. They say to me, 'They're not going to take it from us, are they, Dad?'"

Too late. White America has spoken. You aren't offended, so we'll be offended for you.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ot-easy-sounds

Comment

I found an article on the methodology of the Washington Post survey here https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...8c8_story.html, I'm still investigating it.

Comment

"The whole issue is so silly to me," says Bob Burns, my wife's father and a bundle holder in the Blackfeet tribe. "The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

And I definitely don't know how I'll tell the athletes at Wellpinit (Wash.) High School -- where the student body is 91.2 percent Native American -- that the "Redskins" name they wear proudly across their chests is insulting them. Because they have no idea.

"I've talked to our students, our parents and our community about this and nobody finds any offense at all in it," says Tim Ames, the superintendent of Wellpinit schools. "'Redskins' is not an insult to our kids. 'Wagon burners' is an insult. 'Prairie n-----s' is an insult. Those are very upsetting to our kids. But 'Redskins' is an honorable name we wear with pride. … In fact, I'd like to see somebody come up here and try to change it."

Boy, you try to help some people …

And it's not going to be easy telling the Kingston (Okla.) High School (57.7 percent Native American) Redskins that the name they've worn on their uniforms for 104 years has been a joke on them this whole time. Because they wear it with honor.

"We have two great tribes here," says Kingston assistant school superintendent Ron Whipkey, "the Chicasaw and the Choctaw. And not one member of those tribes has ever come to me or our school with a complaint. It is a prideful thing to them."

"It's a name that honors the people," says Kingston English teacher Brett Hayes, who is Choctaw. "The word 'Oklahoma' itself is Choctaw for 'red people.' The students here don't want it changed. To them, it seems like it's just people who have no connection with the Native American culture, people out there trying to draw attention to themselves.

"My kids are really afraid we're going to lose the Redskin name. They say to me, 'They're not going to take it from us, are they, Dad?'"

Too late. White America has spoken. You aren't offended, so we'll be offended for you.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ot-easy-sounds
              “Since Choctaw means ‘red people,’ let’s call Asians ‘yellow people.’”

Comment

You’re not outraged but others are, seeing it as some kind of a commie plot. Changing a team name is pretty mild.
                It's silly.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  It's silly.
                  It’s an opportunity to rebrand. It’s silly to cling to a name.

Sports are mostly silly, when you really think about it.

Comment

Does Asian mean "yellow people", and do Asians refer to themselves that way and consider it a term to be said with pride?

No? Alrighty then...

Comment

Does Asian mean "yellow people", and do Asians refer to themselves that way and consider it a term to be said with pride?

No? Alrighty then...
                      Which is why from henceforth you’ll refer to Native Americans as “redskins”?

No? Alrighty then....

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        I found an article on the methodology of the Washington Post survey here https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...8c8_story.html, I'm still investigating it.
                        Which WaPo survey?

The left were outraged at the results refusing to accept them since, after all, they know better. So there was a great deal of criticism by folks who felt it their duty to be outraged for Native Americans since they just weren't smart enough to be angry. So they did a second one a few years later that addressed these complaints. Instead of using upset as a response, they lessened to whether or not the name wasn't appropriate or something like that. Even so nearly 70% still had no trouble with it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If that is how they refer to themselves then who are you to complain?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            If that is how they refer to themselves then who are you to complain?
                            Asians don’t refer to themselves as “yellow people,” Archie.

Comment

You’re not outraged but others are, seeing it as some kind of a commie plot. Changing a team name is pretty mild.
                              Or maybe they just don't like a handful of folks who have nothing to do with it dictating how everyone ought to respond. The Native Americans are anything but upset over this. It's a bunch of leftists who have decided how they should feel and have taken it upon themselves to be outraged.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Or maybe they just don't like a handful of folks who have nothing to do with it dictating how everyone ought to respond. The Native Americans are anything but upset over this. It's a bunch of leftists who have decided how they should feel and have taken it upon themselves to be outraged.
                                Hence why you’ll refer to Native Americans henceforth as “redskins” in their company?

No? Alrighty then.

Comment