Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Washington Redskins May Finally Change Their Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(July 2020) This is a good time to remind the world that Native Americans largely disagree with corporate America and the elite media on this issue. The most thorough poll of Native American sentiment in the past decade found that 90% of Native Americans didn’t find the team name racist. Only 9% found it offensive.

This poll was commissioned by the Washington Post, which has — before and since — been lobbying the Redskins and campaigning nonstop for the team to change its name.

"The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations."

A more recent, less scientific poll (it was conducted over the web with individuals who self-identified as Native American) found that still a clear majority were not offended. The most common emotion elicited among Native Americans by the team’s name? “Pride.”

You can see the exasperation in the writing of the Washington Post reporter who wrote up these studies.

“That finding,” she wrote, “is from a recent survey and — as you probably remember, even if you’ve tried to forget — falls in line with what a Washington Post poll found three years ago and an Annenberg Public Policy Center poll found 12 years before that.”

It’s upsetting to our liberal establishment when the supposed victims they are trying to "white-knight" don’t feel wronged in the first place. That won't stop the elites though.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...tive-americans
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      (July 2020) This is a good time to remind the world that Native Americans largely disagree with corporate America and the elite media on this issue. The most thorough poll of Native American sentiment in the past decade found that 90% of Native Americans didn’t find the team name racist. Only 9% found it offensive.

This poll was commissioned by the Washington Post, which has — before and since — been lobbying the Redskins and campaigning nonstop for the team to change its name.

"The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations."

A more recent, less scientific poll (it was conducted over the web with individuals who self-identified as Native American) found that still a clear majority were not offended. The most common emotion elicited among Native Americans by the team’s name? “Pride.”

You can see the exasperation in the writing of the Washington Post reporter who wrote up these studies.

“That finding,” she wrote, “is from a recent survey and — as you probably remember, even if you’ve tried to forget — falls in line with what a Washington Post poll found three years ago and an Annenberg Public Policy Center poll found 12 years before that.”

It’s upsetting to our liberal establishment when the supposed victims they are trying to "white-knight" don’t feel wronged in the first place. That won't stop the elites though.

Washingtonexaminer.com

Hahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Many on the left tend to believe that they need to do any given minorities thinking for them since they obviously can't do it for themselves.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          Washingtonexaminer.com

Hahahahaha
          You also laughed off the Washington Post

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            You also laughed off the Washington Post
            I’m okay with laughing off the two polar extremes. That’s the difference between you and me.

Comment

I’m okay with laughing off the two polar extremes. That’s the difference between you and me.
              secondnexus.com

Comment

The difference between us is your immediate dismissal of anything that contradicts your carefully crafted narrative.

Comment

Again I wonder why conservatives here have such high anxiety about this, or even why they see it as a problem.

Comment

Just another example of white liberals telling someone that they need to be upset and then getting mad if they don't.

Comment

Just another example of white liberals telling someone that they need to be upset and then getting mad if they don't.
                      I linked a list of Native American groups who had asked for it to be changed. I trust their word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        I linked a list of Native American groups who had asked for it to be changed. I trust their word for it.
                        That list reminds me of the Dissent From Darwin list where a hand full of persons out of a vast number are used to try to show some sort of trend.

The polls that I noted (Annenberg poll and two by the WaPo) reveal that Native Americans are just not all that worked up about it, what with two of them showing that 90% of Native Americans are not upset over it. Do you not trust their word for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          Again I wonder why conservatives here have such high anxiety about this, or even why they see it as a problem.
                          I'm a conservative, and I don't have high anxiety over it - I just think it's silly.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That list reminds me of the Dissent From Darwin list where a hand full of persons out of a vast number are used to try to show some sort of trend.

The polls that I noted (Annenberg poll and two by the WaPo) reveal that Native Americans are just not all that worked up about it, what with two of them showing that 90% of Native Americans are not upset over it. Do you not trust their word for it?
                            Probably not a good idea to compare legitimate opposition to a racist team name (would you call a Native American a redskin?) to AIGish cartoonish propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I'm a conservative, and I don't have high anxiety over it - I just think it's silly.
                              You’re not outraged but others are, seeing it as some kind of a commie plot. Changing a team name is pretty mild.

Comment

These aren't individuals, they represent various groups.

A fair point could be made here, I'm still looking into this. In general I don't trust opinion polls that much. They're easily manipulated.
                                Last edited by Leonhard; 07-05-2020, 08:50 AM.

Comment