Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NFL to play Black national anthem before game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Are they slaves today? We certainly did not always apply those principles universally, but that is not the fault of the ideals themselves. But again I know of no better principles to live by, do you - We hold these truths to be self-evident...

Grow up...
    Are those principles applied universally today?

How does the ‘black national anthem’ affect those founding principles? Even if it was to someday replace the current national anthem, how would that affect it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Ironically, a "black national anthem" would exclude the majority of US citizens while our traditional National Anthem excludes nobody.

Here are the lyrics. I will personally hand a $100 bill to anybody who can point to a single racist or exclusionary sentiment:

Oh, say, can you see? By the dawn's early light
      What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
      Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
      O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.
      And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air.
      Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
      Oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave?
      O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
      The full lyrics include the line: And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.', which is exclusionary to atheists.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        The full lyrics include the line: And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.', which is exclusionary to atheists.
        But it is our motto, perhaps all our atheists should move to the UK that has a state church with the queen as the supreme governor?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

But it is our motto, perhaps all our atheists should move to the UK that has a state church with the queen as the supreme governor?
          Why am I not surprised to see you throw out the ol’ “move to another country” trope? You’re as predictable as the local weather.

The rockets and bombs reference excludes the victims of the rockets and bombs:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-philadelphia

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-philadelphia
            Kevin_lol.gif
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
              Why am I not surprised to see you throw out the ol’ “move to another country” trope? You’re as predictable as the local weather.
              Loser, the point is our motto does not exclude anyone, anymore than having a State Church excludes anyone in England.

Idiot, that happened long after the song was penned. But I agree what was done in Wacko by Clinton was evil....
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

How does the ‘black national anthem’ affect those founding principles? Even if it was to someday replace the current national anthem, how would that affect it?
                It implies that there is a "black nation", not a united one. It is divisive on its face. And are they going to play the Hispanic national anthem in week 2? The Native American one in week 3? Maybe the Polynesian one in week 6?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                  Humans are flawed, so no, not always.

Because it is a lie - there is no Black Nation in the US.

Comment

That problem would go away, it would then only be known as the National Anthem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      That problem would go away, it would then only be known as the National Anthem.
                      We already have one that encompasses all Americans.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                        I honestly don’t see this seer. It seems to be a perfectly serviceable national anthem, that has been embraced by the black community.

There is nothing wrong with people composing various national anthems. It is only divisive if people choose to make it divisive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          I honestly don’t see this seer. It seems to be a perfectly serviceable national anthem, that has been embraced by the black community.
                          Then why not just call it the Black Community Anthem?

There is nothing wrong with people composing various national anthems. It is only divisive if people choose to make it divisive.
                          We have one. It has served us well for quite a while.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Healing this division would require compromise on both sides. It seems like black Americans have been historically short changed here.

From my understanding, after gaining their freedom they had continued to suffer extreme racism particularly in the south which worsened after Lincoln’s assassination. The federal department created to assist black Americans was disbanded and they were treated as second class citizens and frequently subject to severe discrimination, abuse and lynchings from white mobs that were seemingly allowed to act with impunity. To add salt on those wounds, much of the farming lands they acquired would be given back to the previous confederate owners by both legislation and force. All the while confederate statues and memorials were being erected as the north and south negotiated concessions with each other in an effort to create national unity.

That unity didn’t include considerations for the black Americans and that didn’t change as the nation grew over subsequent decades, thereby effectively assimilating this underlying racism and the administration of state affairs.

That’s the gist I got from reading several relevant Wikipedia pages for the last couple of hours.

Making the black national anthem the official national anthem may improve race relations considerably. Worst case you end up with a very nice national anthem. Sounds like a win win situation!

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

Making the black national anthem the official national anthem may improve race relations considerably. Worst case you end up with a very nice national anthem. Sounds like a win win situation!
                              Nonsense, it will not make one black life better. My plan is better...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                Then why not just call it the Black Community Anthem?
                                Names tend to stick. It is like why some people call it "Corona virus" instead of "COVID-19"

We have one. It has served us well for quite a while.
                                I've noticed you almost never sing the whole thing. After the first verse most people are on the way to sit down an then they kick into the second verse "On the shore dimly seen..." and they quickly rise up and start to mumble along. Though that can be a fault of any song I guess. Almost no one sings the part where hirelings and slaves are killed to the triumpf of the star spangled banner.

Denmark has two, Kong Christian stod ved højen mast (King Christian stood by the lofty mast), and the (in my opinion) superior Der er et yndigt land (There is a lovely country). The former was written in 1780 and hte latter in 1830. Some attempts have been made to make more national anthems but none have gotten momentum, and I doubt any attempt will succeed in the US either. Tradition has a lot of momentum, and in the end you have to make something that is even better which is a bigger challenge than people think.

I just don't see why any attempt should be viewed as a threat.

Here's the official english lyrics of There is a love country

Source: There is a lovely country

There is a lovely land
                                with spreading, shady beech-trees,
                                Near salty eastern shore :|
                                Its hills and valleys gently fall,
                                its name is ancient Denmark,
                                And it is Freya's hall. :|

There in the ancient days
                                sat armoured giants rested
                                Between their bloody frays :|
                                Then they went forth the foe to face,
                                now found in stone-set barrows,
                                Their final resting place. :|

This land is still as fair,
                                the sea is blue around it,
                                And peace is cherished there :|
                                Strong men and noble women still
                                uphold their country's honour
                                With faithfulness and skill. :|

Hail king and fatherland!
                                Hail citizens of honour,
                                who do the best they can :|
                                Our ancient Denmark shall remain,
                                as long as beech tops mirror
                                in waves of blue their chain! :|

© Copyright Original Source

And here is Bart and Lisa singing it (1:40 mark). The song sounds better in danish though.

Comment