Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NFL to play Black national anthem before game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    No we haven't. Not on any sort of national scale by white folks. What BLM represents is a straight up lie, from every perspective of it.
    Not from my perspective.

72E0469D-A9DD-49F5-914E-57CF38DEFEE2.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      I understand you do not. But there are places where it's real. I am not a follower of BLM's political positions, and it's my understanding that there are two wings. The political and the moral. Sean I posted an article written by a former police chief in Detroit. Perhaps you are like me, and you grew up with a family that taught cultural interdependence. I was sheltered. Systemic racism does exist, at least it does in certain places.
      I don't deny racism exists (white liberals are as racist as they come, most just don't realize it), and it always will (there's nothing anyone can do about that), but it's not systemic or national like BLM is representing it. It's a lie, period. And the reason it's such a devastating lie is it totally takes the attention off the real systemic problem -- the black community's self-infliction on itself and black on black crime and abuse. That's the real issue.
      Last edited by seanD; 07-04-2020, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Why would we need separate national anthems in the first place. We don't have separate nations.
        I don't see it as any different from the normal process of performing other patriotic/inspirational songs separate from the national anthem, or the other ceremonies associated with the national anthem (such as the ceremonial first pitch that usually directly precedes it at baseball games). It seems too many are getting hung up on the nickname given to the song. Notably, there is no push within the sports world to actually get rid of the anthem itself (though I would be fine with that given that I don't see how staring at a flag with a hand at one's heart reverently isn't an idolatrous form of worship).

(Yes, I am aware of the professor who wants to replace the national anthem with Imagine, but I don't see any traction for such ideas within the sports world itself.)
        Last edited by KingsGambit; 07-04-2020, 01:03 AM.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The song actually seems pretty good. It is also far shorter than the National Anthem which almost universally abreviated.

Lift Every Voice and Sing

Lift ev'ry voice and sing
          'Til earth and heaven ring
          Ring with the harmonies of Liberty
          Let our rejoicing rise
          High as the list'ning skies
          Let it resound loud as the rolling sea
          Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us
          Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us
          Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
          Let us march on 'til victory is won

Stony the road we trod
          Bitter the chastening rod
          Felt in the days when hope unborn had died
          Yet with a steady beat
          Have not our weary feet
          Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
          We have come over a way that with tears has been watered
          We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered
          Out from the gloomy past
          'Til now we stand at last
          Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast

God of our weary years
          God of our silent tears
          Thou who has brought us thus far on the way
          Thou who has by Thy might
          Led us into the light
          Keep us forever in the path, we pray
          Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee
          Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee
          Shadowed beneath Thy hand
          May we forever stand
          True to our God
          True to our native land

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            The song actually seems pretty good. It is also far shorter than the National Anthem which almost universally abreviated.

Wait until the leftists find out it references God...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
              What is going on? If there are people trying to change the national anthem to something they feel is more inclusive is that really a problem? If enough people agree then it should be changed, that’s how democracies work.

The only problem I see here is that one side only seems to value their own traditions and culture to the point they get offended when the other side merely attempts to contribute or form some of their own.
              Yes, we value the principles and freedoms this Country was founded on, and see no better form of governance. Certainty not the Marxism that the founders of Black Lives Matters are pushing. And what is not inclusive about the The Star-Spangled Banner?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Wait until the leftists find out it references God...
                No kidding. That's way too much God for liberals to stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                  Not from my perspective.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46289[/ATTACH]
                  Are you a minority?

Comment

"Lift Every Voice and Sing" is hymn #964 in the Lutheran Service Book. Tomorrow at church, I think I'll make the suggestion that we sing the hymn at a future service.

"My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                      What is going on? If there are people trying to change the national anthem to something they feel is more inclusive is that really a problem? If enough people agree then it should be changed, that’s how democracies work.

The only problem I see here is that one side only seems to value their own traditions and culture to the point they get offended when the other side merely attempts to contribute or form some of their own.
                      Yes, we value the principles and freedoms this Country was founded on
                      So do "they", but this has nothing to do with the songs played before a football game

and see no better form of governance.
                      So do "they", but this has nothing to do with the songs played before a football game
                      Certainty not the Marxism that the founders of Black Lives Matters are pushing.
                      BLM isn't pushing Marxism, and BLM has no power to decide which songs are played by the NFL at a football game.

And what is not inclusive about the The Star-Spangled Banner?
                      Nothing's "not inclusive". Both songs are being played. Why is this a problem for you?

You complained about a new song being played before a football game, and then ranted about American values, governance, BLM and Marxism. Every single statement you made in your reply was irrelevant to the post you responded to. It's almost as if you didn't actually read it.
                      Last edited by Whateverman; 07-04-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                        Who is the they? The ones painting Hammer and Sickles on statues.

index.jpg

Then why are they calling it the Black National Anthem? There is no black nation here.

BLM isn't pushing Marxism, and BLM has no power to decide which songs are played by the NFL at a football game.
                        So you don't believe the founder of BLM?

Nothing's "not inclusive". Both songs are being played. Why is this a problem for you?
                        Because there is only one National Anthem.

Comment

Ironically, a "black national anthem" would exclude the majority of US citizens while our traditional National Anthem excludes nobody.

Here are the lyrics. I will personally hand a $100 bill to anybody who can point to a single racist or exclusionary sentiment:

Oh, say, can you see? By the dawn's early light
                          What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
                          Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
                          O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.
                          And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air.
                          Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
                          Oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave?
                          O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Ironically, a "black national anthem" would exclude the majority of US citizens while our traditional National Anthem excludes nobody.

Here are the lyrics. I will personally hand a $100 bill to anybody who can point to a single racist or exclusionary sentiment:

Oh, say, can you see? By the dawn's early light
                            What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
                            Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
                            O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.
                            And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air.
                            Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
                            Oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave?
                            O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
                            I’m pretty sure it excludes the victims of the rockets and bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Likewise with saying Black Lives Matter while getting upset with those who say All Lives Matter. You are excluding everyone who isn't black which is pretty darn racist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Likewise with saying Black Lives Matter while getting upset with those who say All Lives Matter. You are excluding everyone who isn't black which is pretty darn racist.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46297[/ATTACH]
                                I love how the rational Christian guy views BLM hyperliterally when it’s been explained to you time and again BLM isn’t a hyperliteral slogan.

Comment