Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

I started growing peppers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started growing peppers.

I've been putting them in pots and growing them. It takes a little bit of care every day to really get it. So far, I'm growing big berthas, lunchbox peppers, habaneros, bell peppers, and poblanos. I picked three big berthas two days ago and one had a hole eaten through it. I have no idea what got it. But at least the others are okay. The habaneros are growing the best right now. There are a lot of them on the plant, but they're not orange yet, so still waiting there. The other plants are going more slowly and barely starting to produce. I've especially had to put a lot of TLC with the poblano plant since it was sick and yellow. It's doing better now, but has no peppers on it yet.

I'll get pics at a later time.
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

I love peppers. And pepper. Even coursrly ground black pepper. And they do pretty good in the Vitamin C department.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
      I've been putting them in pots and growing them. It takes a little bit of care every day to really get it. So far, I'm growing big berthas, lunchbox peppers, habaneros, bell peppers, and poblanos. I picked three big berthas two days ago and one had a hole eaten through it. I have no idea what got it. But at least the others are okay. The habaneros are growing the best right now. There are a lot of them on the plant, but they're not orange yet, so still waiting there. The other plants are going more slowly and barely starting to produce. I've especially had to put a lot of TLC with the poblano plant since it was sick and yellow. It's doing better now, but has no peppers on it yet.

I'll get pics at a later time.
      Wonderful. We have some peppers which are coming along very well . We did not grow chillies this year as we had a glut last year - we even had to give some away. But they were gorgeous - really fiery. I made some chilli relish - just oil and mustard seed - but somewhat "atomic". I expect you know this tip but when watering they prefer slightly warmed water rather it coming straight from the butt or whatever water saver you use.

N.B. The hole might well be caused by molluscs. Look under the pots or any nearby stones.

Good luck
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I have been growing peppers for 40 years; I love them. Now, I mostly grow banana peppers to chicken fry. Cut off stem end, deseed, cuts in half, coat in egg, then flour, and fry. Put them on a cookie sheet on paper towels. Cover them with rotel/velvetta dip and go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Stranger View Post
          I have been growing peppers for 40 years; I love them. Now, I mostly grow banana peppers to chicken fry. Cut off stem end, deseed, cuts in half, coat in egg, then flour, and fry. Put them on a cookie sheet on paper towels. Cover them with rotel/velvetta dip and go for it.
          I'm going to have to try that with Hatch chiles when they're back in season.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Stranger View Post
            When we visited Santa Fe, New Mexico years ago, we discovered venders who had these big rotating drums over a fire, and they'd throw a bunch of peppers into the drums and roast them --- wow, was some good stuff!

Like these....

chili roaster.jpg

Only home-made.
            Attached Files
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

When we visited Santa Fe, New Mexico years ago, we discovered venders who had these big rotating drums over a fire, and they'd throw a bunch of peppers into the drums and roast them --- wow, was some good stuff!

Like these....

chili roaster.jpg

Only home-made.
              HEB has those during Hatch pepper season. They sell the roasted peppers by the tub. I usually buy a bunch and freeze them, and use them in enchiladas year-round.
              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment