Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BLM and MLK - not so much

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I absolutely agree - ya got no argument here! Or, the three police officers recently fired (no, four) for "reenacting" 'the choke hold'.

I think MLK hit the right tone, and BLM is throwing him under the desegregated bus.
    I think that if conservatives hadn’t flipped their lid at Kaepernick taking a knee, which in comparison to rioting is the most peaceful of stances, things wouldn’t have accelerated. Surely, the right has been doing some rethinking on the threat of kneeling vs. the threat of rage boiling over in the streets.

I think Trump, in an attempt to placate the outraged anti-Kaepernick demographic, which is—let’s be honest—most of his base—unwittingly revealed he and Pence deep down don’t appreciate peaceful protests.

D1FFC997-AE28-4EDB-B8BC-129F417C3D8F.jpeg

Keeping in mind, of course, that Obama brutalized peaceful protesters of an energy pipeline.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I absolutely agree - ya got no argument here! Or, the three police officers recently fired (no, four) for "reenacting" 'the choke hold'.

I think MLK hit the right tone, and BLM is throwing him under the desegregated bus.
    Right, who here wouldn't agree with this...

One day the South will know that when these disinherited children of God sat down at lunch counters, they were in reality standing up for what is best in the American dream and for the most sacred values in our Judeo-Christian heritage, thereby bringing our nation back to those great wells of democracy which were dug deep by the founding fathers in their formulation of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence…. We will reach the goal of freedom in Birmingham and all over the nation because the goal of America is freedom … and our destiny is tied up with America’s destiny.”
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Right, who here wouldn't agree with this...

One day the South will know that when these disinherited children of God sat down at lunch counters, they were in reality standing up for what is best in the American dream and for the most sacred values in our Judeo-Christian heritage, thereby bringing our nation back to those great wells of democracy which were dug deep by the founding fathers in their formulation of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence…. We will reach the goal of freedom in Birmingham and all over the nation because the goal of America is freedom … and our destiny is tied up with America’s destiny.”
    He also said riots are the language of the unheard, hence The riots after he was assassinated and Hong Kong.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    I think that if conservatives hadn’t flipped their lid at Kaepernick taking a knee, which in comparison to rioting is the most peaceful of stances, things wouldn’t have accelerated. Surely, the right has been doing some rethinking on the threat of kneeling vs. the threat of rage boiling over in the streets.
    Meh.... It's not the peaceful protesters who are driving this thing. It's the extreme leftists nutters, and the 'moderate' left doesn't know what to do with them.

I think Trump, in an attempt to placate the outraged anti-Kaepernick demographic, which is—let’s be honest—most of his base—unwittingly revealed he and Pence deep down don’t appreciate peaceful protests.

D1FFC997-AE28-4EDB-B8BC-129F417C3D8F.jpeg

Keeping in mind, of course, that Obama brutalized peaceful protesters of an energy pipeline.
    I think you're off base on this one, but...
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    He also said riots are the language of the unheard, hence The riots after he was assassinated and Hong Kong.
    But our idiots have been heard, they won't shut up about the lie of systemic police racism.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But our idiots have been heard, they won't shut up about the lie of systemic police racism.
    That you’re dismissing a racist election commissioner as not racist is evidence they haven’t been heard.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In context, MLK had said....

Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years.

He was very clearly citing riots as a last resort, not as a main strategy.

The George Floyd thing was universally condemned. No need to riot.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

8. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years.

Riots aren’t a main strategy. As a pastor, you should have figured out that the riots are an expression of economic abuse and frustration—hence the participation of aimless white youth. All these are hallmarks of a crumbling fiscal system (the end times, perhaps), so you might wanna rethink always essentially saying “the problem has been solved, so you can all go home now.” That doesn’t sound very revolutionary. It sounds naive and safe.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

And he was saying that he understood why people rioted, not that he was actually endorsing it.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    And he was saying that he understood why people rioted, not that he was actually endorsing it.
    I didnt say he endorsed it, to be clear. I was saying that seer and people like rogue, CP, and MM don’t understand why people are rioting.