Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BLM and MLK - not so much

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It does matter if elections officials are racist because that casts a pall over the legitimacy of elections. In North Carolina, the state Republican Party was caught discussing their gerrymandering specifically aimed at black voters... to say that this doesn't matter because there will always be racism is cynicism that I don't see a reason a Christian should accept.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    No, I simply mean MLK understands why riots happen,
    He's dead, you know.

while you seem to be threatened by it.
    I really wish you guys would stop this dishonest debate crap. I am not "threatened" by riots, but I can't see any justification for burning and looting, PARTICULARLY when the burning and looting is against the very people that should be upset.

I expect pastors
    The gratuitous dig

to be a little more informed about what happens when the consequences of evil national acts carry over to the next generation and sick societies crumble.
    Left unchecked, it leads to anarchy.

Isn’t this what you were expecting as a pastor who preaches on eschatology?
    Well (time to brag again ) I don't just talk, I do.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

3. Amen whag amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    People shouldn't feel threatened by riots?
    I'm not - so far - cause our community doesn't do that. yet
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It does matter if elections officials are racist because that casts a pall over the legitimacy of elections. In North Carolina, the state Republican Party was caught discussing their gerrymandering specifically aimed at black voters... to say that this doesn't matter because there will always be racism is cynicism that I don't see a reason a Christian should accept.
    The fact that he had the gall to ask why it mattered says much about why the problem of brazen racism persists.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The fact she made it public makes it doubtful she'll do anything underhanded. And if she does, that just makes her culpable. But the fact she's racist doesn't validate BLM and their lie that racism is nationally systemic. That was whag's point posting it in this thread. Racism is a thing. Systemic racism is not a thing. You guys are confusing the two.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    The fact she made it public makes it doubtful she'll do anything underhanded. And if she does, that just makes her culpable. But the fact she's racist doesn't validate BLM and their lie that racism is nationally systemic. That was whag's point posting it in this thread. Racism is a thing. Systemic racism is not a thing. You guys are confusing the two.
    Do you believe systemic racism was ever a thing? How about in the 50s?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    Do you believe systemic racism was ever a thing? How about in the 50s?
    Definitely, up to the 70s even when Biden was working with southern white supremacists to oppose desegregation. That's when actual racist policy was being instituted.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In North Carolina, the state Republican Party was caught discussing their gerrymandering specifically aimed at black voters... to say that this doesn't matter because there will always be racism is cynicism that I don't see a reason a Christian should accept.
    Do you think they would try to gerrymander those districts if blacks voted mostly Republican? Of course not, again, it is not about race but politics. And BTW both sides gerrymander when they are in power.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Some in the Left-leaning media are starting to come to their senses. They're actually looking at (gasp) the statistics!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/3235072001/

There is no epidemic of fatal police shootings against unarmed Black Americans
    Ideally officers would never need to take anyone's life. But the data on police killings doesn't support reducing or abolishing law enforcement.
    Heather Mac DonaldOpinion contributor
    The video of George Floyd’s tragic death under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer has led many to ask whether it represents the tip of an iceberg of police brutality. For centuries, United States law enforcement was interwoven with slavery and segregation, and that memory cannot be easily erased. But the evidence does not support the charge that biased police are systematically killing Black Americans in fatal shootings.

Much of modern policing is driven by crime data and community demands for help. The African American community tends to be policed more heavily, because that is where people are disproportionately hurt by violent street crime. In New York City in 2018, 73% of shooting victims were Black, though Black residents comprise only 24% of the city’s population.

Nationally, African Americans between the ages of 10 and 34 die from homicide at 13 times the rate of white Americans, according to researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Justice Department.

Community requests also determine police deployment, and the most urgent requests often come from law-abiding residents of high-crime neighborhoods.

An elderly resident in the Mount Hope neighborhood of the Bronx once described to me her fear of entering her building lobby, since it was so often occupied by trespassing youth hanging out and selling drugs. The only time she felt safe was when law enforcement was around: As long as she saw the police, she told me, everything is OK. You can come down and get your mail and talk to decent people...
    ... more ...

11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    Some in the Left-leaning media are starting to come to their senses. They're actually looking at (gasp) the statistics!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/3235072001/

There is no epidemic of fatal police shootings against unarmed Black Americans
    Ideally officers would never need to take anyone's life. But the data on police killings doesn't support reducing or abolishing law enforcement.
    Heather Mac DonaldOpinion contributor
    The video of George Floyd’s tragic death under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer has led many to ask whether it represents the tip of an iceberg of police brutality. For centuries, United States law enforcement was interwoven with slavery and segregation, and that memory cannot be easily erased. But the evidence does not support the charge that biased police are systematically killing Black Americans in fatal shootings.

Much of modern policing is driven by crime data and community demands for help. The African American community tends to be policed more heavily, because that is where people are disproportionately hurt by violent street crime. In New York City in 2018, 73% of shooting victims were Black, though Black residents comprise only 24% of the city’s population.

Nationally, African Americans between the ages of 10 and 34 die from homicide at 13 times the rate of white Americans, according to researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Justice Department.

Community requests also determine police deployment, and the most urgent requests often come from law-abiding residents of high-crime neighborhoods.

An elderly resident in the Mount Hope neighborhood of the Bronx once described to me her fear of entering her building lobby, since it was so often occupied by trespassing youth hanging out and selling drugs. The only time she felt safe was when law enforcement was around: As long as she saw the police, she told me, everything is OK. You can come down and get your mail and talk to decent people...
    ... more ...
    Facts are racist.