Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hydroxychloroquine: Not so useless after all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    Your opinion doesn't prove anything. It's your opinion that the FDA is a federal agency with its own "agenda", and that doesn't prove there's anything dangerous about trusting it.

You trust the FDA each and every single time you take medicine of any kind: internal, topical, etc. The last time you took a few aspirin for a headache, you trusted the FDA. You and your family and your friends have been trusting the FDA almost since you were born.
    It turns out we have been trusting the Chinese for manufacturing on pharmaceuticals. This makes much of our cures dependent on a foreign untrustworthy country. We have to be cautious about the FDA, medical studies and journals. I've posted here one journal editor who said that half of the medical studies are not repeatable. At that point in time, we cannot make a good claim that the science of medicine gives us good reason to trust the medicine.

Comment

There are more studies showing that the effects are dubious and there are significant health risks involved. One outlier study showing otherwise doesn’t demonstrate that hydroxochloroquine is safe or a viable treatment.

At the moment that is what you have.

The only reason the drug is controversial is because the US President told people to begin taking it. This was said before the science was out as well. Now that it is out and the majority of the studies show that the dangers outweigh the benefits then it is reasonable to advice not to use it.

I’ll list the bigger studies later, right now I am typing this on a phone.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        Big surprise that MM trusts big pharma.
        That is a surprise since I never said I trust "big pharma". I take a medication if it's prescribed by my doctor and not because of a "big pharma" ad I saw on TV.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
          Manufacturers and doctors don't make the drugs you take, and they don't establish whether those drugs are safe or not.

The FDA does. So do pharmaceutical companies, who rely upon the FDA to ensure their compounds wont get them sued out of business.

You trust the FDA implicitly.
          Manufacturers don't make the medications? Really? And doctors generally prescribe what they know to be an effective and not just because the FDA approved it.

But you're right that following FDA guidelines is more about not wanting to get sued than anything else.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment