Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It’s time to talk about what’s going on with Donald Trump’s cognitive abilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Nothing but a feeble attempt to distract attention away from the fact that the left is trying to foist someone who is undeniably brain addled [...]
    You know that whataboutism is originally a Russian propaganda tactic, right?

There's no attempt to distract anyone from anything. Whatever problems Biden may have, Trump is no better - and THAT is what this thread is discussing. Barring any attempts by the right to distract it from that subject...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      We should vote for Kanye West for President!

Ooh! Ooh! And then we can accuse liberals of being racist if they oppose him!
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        This thread is the first time I've ever heard of it. After a few minutes of poking around it, I've concluded it's a relatively small media-blog that's pretty strongly anti-Trump. I'm surprised by the number of comments some of the articles get, though, so just how small it is I can't be sure.

---

Back on topic: I've been questioning Trump's mental acuity since the first time I heard him speak in front of a crowd. When left to his own devices, he has difficulty expressing thoughts coherently, and tends to drift from one idea to another without completing any of them.

I hate to keep bringing him up, but I love John Oliver's show. A few years back, he did a segment on Trump's speeches, noticing that Trump sounded exactly like what you'd get if you typed an entire paragraph on your iPhone, using only predictive text to complete each word.

Here's the two and a half minute clip from that episode (brief language warning close to 1:20):

You might find this interesting. https://www.amazon.de/Dangerous-Case...s%2C732&sr=8-1
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          Ha! I will buy that once I have some spare cash to invest in entertainment :)

Comment

Ha! I will buy that once I have some spare cash to invest in entertainment :)
            "Entertainment" is about all a book like that is good for since any medical professional worth his license will tell you that it is irresponsible at the very least to attempt to diagnose someone you have not personally examined. Meanwhile, the physicians directly responsible for the President's health say that he is physically and mentally fit. I'll take their word over 27 quacks any day.

quacks.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              "Entertainment" is about all a book like that is good for
              As are most of the sources you get your news/information from - yet that doesn't slow you down in thinking that maybe entertainment isn't a good place to get news/information from.

Does it?

Why some other person's entertainment should be less credible than yours is a head-scratcher...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                We should vote for Kanye West for President!

Maybe Trump could bump Pence and hit up Kanye! Aren't they buds?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As are most of the sources you get your news/information from - yet that doesn't slow you down in thinking that maybe entertainment isn't a good place to get news/information from.

Does it?

Why some other person's entertainment should be less credible than yours is a head-scratcher...
                  So, no comment regarding the fact that it is widely considered a bad practice among medical professionals to attempt to diagnosis or comment on the health of someone they have not personally examined?

Comment

So, no comment regarding the fact that it is widely considered a bad practice among medical professionals to attempt to diagnosis or comment on the health of someone they have not personally examined?
                    That doesn't apply when a conservative is the object of the scrutiny.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've read the book's description at the link. If you had done the same, you would have found the "comment" you're looking for.

The New York Times bestseller! More than two dozen psychiatrists and psychologists offer their consensus view that Trump's mental state presents a clear and present danger to our nation and individual well-being.
                      This is not normal.
                      Since the start of Donald Trump’s presidential run, one question has quietly but urgently permeated the observations of concerned citizens: What is wrong with him? Constrained by the American Psychiatric Association’s “Goldwater rule,” which inhibits mental health professionals from diagnosing public figures they have not personally examined, many of those qualified to answer this question have shied away from discussing the issue at all. The public has thus been left to wonder whether he is mad, bad, or both.
                      In THE DANGEROUS CASE OF DONALD TRUMP, twenty-seven psychiatrists, psychologists, and other mental health experts argue that, in Mr. Trump’s case, their moral and civic “duty to warn” America supersedes professional neutrality. They then explore Trump’s symptoms and potentially relevant diagnoses to find a complex, if also dangerously mad, man.

Comment

I've read the book's description at the link. If you had done the same, you would have found the "comment" you're looking for.
                        Right... they acknowledge that what they're doing is unethical and against the rules of their own profession but then hand wave all that aside because "Orange Man Bad!"

Like I said, they're quacks. Thank you for the confirmation.

Comment

Right... they acknowledge that what they're doing is unethical
                          Does putting your opinion into their mouths make you feel better?

I imagine it's certainly easier than talking about the thread subject :)
                          Last edited by Whateverman; 07-05-2020, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Comment

You know that whataboutism is originally a Russian propaganda tactic, right?
                              I just knew the Russians were hiding around here somewhere.

Comment

Does putting your opinion into their mouths make you feel better?
                                Yeah, do you even know what the Goldwater Rule is? Wikipedia has a good summary.

The Goldwater rule is Section 7 in the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) Principles of Medical Ethics, which states that it is unethical for psychiatrists to give a professional opinion about public figures whom they have not examined in person, and from whom they have not obtained consent to discuss their mental health in public statements.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldwater_rule

So, no, I'm not putting my opinion in their mouths. They admit that they are violating the Goldwater Rule, meaning they admit that what they are doing is unethical.

Sorry about your ignorance.

Comment