Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump claims 99% of COVID-19 infections are harmless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump claims 99% of COVID-19 infections are harmless

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/politics/fda-commissioner-coronavirus-trump-cnntv/index.html

FDA commissioner refuses to defend Trump claim that 99% of Covid-19 cases are 'harmless'
    CNN Digital Expansion 2018 Veronica StracqualursiSarah Westwood
    By Veronica Stracqualursi and Sarah Westwood, CNN

Updated 11:30 AM ET, Sun July 5, 2020

(CNN)The commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration on Sunday declined to defend President Donald Trump's unfounded claim that 99% of coronavirus cases are "totally harmless" and repeatedly refused to say whether Trump's remark is true or false.

"I'm not going to get into who is right and who is wrong," Dr. Stephen Hahn, a member of the White House coronavirus task force, told CNN's Dana Bash on "State of the Union."

During his remarks Saturday at the White House Independence Day event, Trump claimed without evidence that 99% of coronavirus cases "are totally harmless."
    The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 35% of cases are asymptomatic, but even people with mild or no symptoms can spread the virus to others.

While the World Health Organization has said the global fatality rate is likely less than 1%, the WHO also said about 20% of all people who are diagnosed with coronavirus are sick enough to need oxygen or hospital care.

"I totally support the CDC and the information that they're putting out with respect to this pandemic," Hahn said Sunday.

Hahn said the coronavirus pandemic is "a rapidly evolving situation" but stressed that the US "absolutely must take this seriously."

Pressed by Bash on the program whether the President's comment is true or false, Hahn again did not defend the President's claim.

"What I'll say is that we have data in the White House task force. Those data show us that this is a serious problem. People need to take it seriously," Hahn said.
    There have been more than 2.8 million cases of coronavirus in the United States and at least 129,000 people in the US have died, according to Johns Hopkins University's latest tally.

Trump celebrated the Fourth of July at Mount Rushmore on Friday and at the White House's "Salute to America" on Saturday, where many attendees were seen neither socially distancing nor wearing masks at both events.

"if you don't follow local and state guidelines about what to do, if you're not following the CDC and White House task force guidelines, you are putting yourselves and you're putting your loved ones at risk," Hahn said.

Asked if he was uncomfortable by the President holding those events that put Americans at risk, Hahn said the circumstances are different.
    "I think in terms of that specific instance at the White House, it's important for everyone to remember that it's a different set of circumstances. People are tested regularly. The President is tested regularly," Hahn said.

Hahn was also questioned about the President's recent doubling down in a Fox Business interview of his belief that coronavirus will "sort of just disappear."
    "No, we're seeing the surge in cases, particularly across the Sun Belt. And so this virus is still with us," the FDA commissioner told CNN.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Yay. President Trump has more accurate information than the mainstream media and WHO.

The big thing to remember about the number of cases is that this number is meaningless. The media reports these as if they were all death sentences. People cower in their ignorance -- their ignorance that the great number of "cases" shows that most people are not affected by this virus. The more that we are aware of this, the better off we are.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-05-2020, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      Yay. President Trump has more accurate information than the mainstream media and WHO.
      Shuny used WAY bigger letters than you, so his post is truerererer than yours.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

. . and ignores the fatalities and severe illnesses that carry a life time of health consequences.

Apparently you also are oblivious to theover 129.000 deaths due to COVID-19 and the immense suffering recovering from the infection.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-05-2020, 04:35 PM.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Shuny used WAY bigger letters than you, so his post is truerererer than yours.
          It was well documented before I posted.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            It was well documented before I posted.
            Cool.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

. . and ignores the fatalities and severe illnesses that carry a life time of health consequences.
              People die from the flu every year. This just happens. I have not heard how many people survive and are harmed. But this, of course, has been increased by folks like Cuomo and Fauci. The problem has become worse by the suppression of the use of chloroquine protocols by Gates, Fauci and the FDA. God help us from these evildoers.

Comment

Harmless may not have been the right word, but it is completely recoverable for nearly all who have gotten it. As with any respiratory infection, the most vulnerable are not as fortunate, but overall, the virus is waaay more often than not recoverable.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

But, but, but.... Trump said something TRUMPISH!!!!

We should be absolutely HORRIFIED.

(Oh, and Joe Biden wished everybody Merry Christmas yesterday )

Comment

Prove it.

Comment

People die from the flu every year. This just happens. I have not heard how many people survive and are harmed. But this, of course, has been increased by folks like Cuomo and Fauci. The problem has become worse by the suppression of the use of chloroquine protocols by Gates, Fauci and the FDA. God help us from these evildoers.
                      Is it the best you can do is ridicule and minimize the death and suffering of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        Harmless may not have been the right word, but it is completely recoverable for nearly all who have gotten it.
                        COVID-19 can cause permanent heart, lung and neurological damage in afflicted patients.

Comment

Is it the best you can do is ridicule and minimize the death and suffering of the COVID-19 pandemic.
                          I see why your perspective is so far off. You see truth as being ridicule. Go hide under the covers and waste away. You don't even need a virus to achieve this. If you want to fight for something worthwhile, let people know that the Zelenko protocol should be used in most cases where someone is suspicious of having the coronavirus. Emphasize the treatment, not the fear.
                          Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-05-2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I see why your perspective is so far off. You see truth as being ridicule. Go hide under the covers and waste away. You don't even need a virus to achieve this. If you want to fight for something worthwhile, let people know that the Zelenko protocol should be used in most cases where someone is suspicious of having the coronavirus. Emphasize the treatment, not the fear.

Frank

Comment

Is that the best you can do --to stimulate ignorant fear among the people and regurgitate what the mainstream media programs in your head? Sorry to hear that. The virus has affected you beyond repair. I heard that people were suffering symptoms like PTSD after what the media and governors have done to us.

Comment