Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court says states can punish Electoral College voters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court says states can punish Electoral College voters

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/politics/faithless-electors-supreme-court/index.html

The Supreme Court said Monday that states can punish members of the Electoral College who break a pledge to vote for a state's popular vote winner in presidential elections.
    The case comes as the election season is heating up, putting the Electoral College will once again be front and center in an increasingly polarized and volatile political atmosphere.
    In 2016, 10 of the 538 presidential electors went rogue, attempting to vote for someone other than their pledged candidate. In all, 32 states and the District of Columbia have laws that are meant to discourage faithless electors. But until 2016, no state had ever actually punished or removed an elector because of his or her vote.
    The vote count was 9-0.

"Today, we consider whether a State may also penalize an elector for breaking his pledge and voting for someone other than the presidential candidate who won his State's popular vote. We hold that a State may do so," Justice Elena Kagan wrote.

"The Constitution's text and the Nation's history both support allowing a State to enforce an elector's pledge to support his party's nominee -- and the state voters' choice -- for President," she added.

© Copyright Original Source

This is interesting on how this will affect the "National Vote winner" nonsense.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/politics/faithless-electors-supreme-court/index.html

The Supreme Court said Monday that states can punish members of the Electoral College who break a pledge to vote for a state's popular vote winner in presidential elections.
    The case comes as the election season is heating up, putting the Electoral College will once again be front and center in an increasingly polarized and volatile political atmosphere.
    In 2016, 10 of the 538 presidential electors went rogue, attempting to vote for someone other than their pledged candidate. In all, 32 states and the District of Columbia have laws that are meant to discourage faithless electors. But until 2016, no state had ever actually punished or removed an elector because of his or her vote.
    The vote count was 9-0.

"Today, we consider whether a State may also penalize an elector for breaking his pledge and voting for someone other than the presidential candidate who won his State's popular vote. We hold that a State may do so," Justice Elena Kagan wrote.

"The Constitution's text and the Nation's history both support allowing a State to enforce an elector's pledge to support his party's nominee -- and the state voters' choice -- for President," she added.

© Copyright Original Source

This is interesting on how this will affect the "National Vote winner" nonsense.
    Great win, it looks like we posted at the same time - you can remove my thread...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I'm still in favor of going back to the way it used to be where state governments chose the electors who vote for president. Get rid of the "popular vote" nonsense entirely. This would give the power back to state governments and would give greater significance to state elections.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I'm still in favor of going back to the way it used to be where state governments chose the electors who vote for president. Get rid of the "popular vote" nonsense entirely. This would give the power back to state governments and would give greater significance to state elections.
        Oh hell, I would go back to only property owners having the vote.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Oh hell, I would go back to only property owners having the vote.
          Yep... no more votes from people with no skin in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I don't think it will have any real effect. I don't think people are particularly more likely to be faithless electors whether the electors are chosen by popular vote in the state, state legislature, or national popular vote.

Or maybe I should be more specific. The way it's done in pretty much all states (save 2, which I'll get to), as I understand it, is that candidates have their list of their electors, then whoever wins sends those electors to vote in the electoral college election. Whether the candidate who gets to send their electors is chosen by state popular vote, national popular vote, or whatever else is used, the electors remain the same.

The only states that are an exception are the two that award electors proportionally rather than winner-take-all, and even there I believe it's a matter of submitting your list of electors and you get to send as many as you're awarded in the proportional vote. So whether that proportional vote is nationwide or statewide, the electors chosen are still the same.

Not a fan; that'll just give state legislatures even more incentive to gerrymander.
            Last edited by Terraceth; 07-06-2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Yep... no more votes from people with no skin in the game.
              You could take your version democracy even further and go back to ancient Athens where only male citizens could vote. That eliminates women voters as well.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                You could take your version democracy even further and go back to ancient Athens where only male citizens could vote. That eliminates women voters as well.
                You say that like it'd be a bad thing.

Comment

You say that like it'd be a bad thing.
                  Are you suggesting that in a modern pluralistic society it would be "a good thing"? [apologies to Seller and Yeatman]
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That eliminates women voters as well.
                    Well we used to do that here - the good old days...

Comment

Well we used to do that here - the good old days...
                      You could also deny all black Americans [regardless of the property requirement] to vote as well - that would also be just like the "good old days" and lynch those that tried to register!

Perhaps even reintroduce slavery?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Are you suggesting that in a modern pluralistic society it would be "a good thing"? [apologies to Seller and Yeatman]
                        Well if women did not have the vote I suspect there would be a lot less anti-american leftists in office - and that would be a good thing...

Comment

Well if women did not have the vote I suspect there would be a lot less anti-american leftists in office - and that would be a good thing...
                          I thought this was a light-hearted and humorous exchange of comments. Given the above I am now not so sure. If you were being serious by that, what reasons are you advocating for removing women from the electorate?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You could also deny all black Americans [regardless of the property requirement] to vote as well - that would also be just like the "good old days". Perhaps even reintroduce slavery?
                            No, Black men who are property owners are fine with me...

Comment

I thought this was a light-hearted and humorous exchange of comments. Given the above I am now not so sure. If you were being serious by that, what reasons are you advocating for removing women from the electorate?
                              Well there are positives and negatives. And no I'm not advocating for anything...

Comment