Announcement

Collapse

Wicca and Neo-Pagan Religions Guidelines

Theists only.

Which witch is which?

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Wicca/Neo Paganism. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generally not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Modern Druidry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Druidry

Last year I became interested in druidry, and was eventually initiated into the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids. I'm currently a Bard and I'm highly enjoying the course and the rituals.

But I digress. There are multiple interesting things about druidry:
    • Druidry is a nature based spirituality/philosophy and practice. Some people consider it a religion, but most people that I've talked to don't.
    • You can be any religion and still be a druid.
    • For that matter, yes, there are Christian druids. There are even atheist druids.
    • Today's druidry is known as Revival Druidry. It's not the same as ancient druidry, although it does share some similarities.
    • Sadly, we know extremely little about the ancient Druids. Revival Druidry definitely has improvisation and new elements that the ancients would not have had.
    • Druidry has no sacred texts. Ancient druids passed down their teachings mainly through word of mouth (most of the world was illiterate, as well). Many modern druids consider nature to be their "Bible."
    • There are multiple druid orders. The three most popular in the USA are the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids (OBOD), the Ancient Order of Druids in America (AODA), and Ár nDraíocht Féin (ADF).
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

oh
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So is this basically like LARPING?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So is this basically like LARPING?
        LOL. Not exactly. While we certainly do rituals (outside if we can), there are contemplative and magic elements as well. i.e. There are certain meditative practices that I've learned during my study as a Bard that I probably wouldn't have learned anywhere else.
        "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
        -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
          LOL. Not exactly. While we certainly do rituals (outside if we can), there are contemplative and magic elements as well. i.e. There are certain meditative practices that I've learned during my study as a Bard that I probably wouldn't have learned anywhere else.
          Yeah but you said you don't really believe all this stuff. Seems like it is just some fun activities like playing D&D with your friends and adding costumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Yeah but you said you don't really believe all this stuff. Seems like it is just some fun activities like playing D&D with your friends and adding costumes.
            Where did I say that I didn't believe this stuff?
            -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

So, in all of this, where is Jesus?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                So, in all of this, where is Jesus?
                I'm not a Christian, so I can't really speak for the Christian Druids. However, in our rituals, there are lines spoken that have the phrase "God(s)/Goddess(es)/Spirit" in them where you pick whatever fits your worldview the best. A Christian would definitely say, "God" in those particular lines. In our order, you can leave out whatever part or phrase that doesn't fit your worldview.
                -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I'm not a Christian,
                  Yes, I gathered that.

so I can't really speak for the Christian Druids. However, in our rituals, there are lines spoken that have the phrase "God(s)/Goddess(es)/Spirit" in them where you pick whatever fits your worldview the best. A Christian would definitely say, "God" in those particular lines. In our order, you can leave out whatever part or phrase that doesn't fit your worldview.
                  Well, as you are well aware, a Christian isn't a "Godian", he's a Christ follower. So, it sounds like even the "Christian Druids" don't have anything to do with Christ.

And, I'm not trying to start an argument - I was genuinely curious, so I asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Yes, I gathered that.

Well, as you are well aware, a Christian isn't a "Godian", he's a Christ follower. So, it sounds like even the "Christian Druids" don't have anything to do with Christ.

And, I'm not trying to start an argument - I was genuinely curious, so I asked.
                    I would suggest to not be so quick to judge those whom you've never met on whether they're Christ followers or not. Maybe you can seek one out and have a good conversation.
                    -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I would suggest to not be so quick to judge those whom you've never met on whether they're Christ followers or not. Maybe you can seek one out and have a good conversation.
                      I'm ASKING. Based on what YOU answered......

Sorry I asked, honestly.

Comment

Sorry. I got that from:

Druidry is a nature based spirituality/philosophy and practice. Some people consider it a religion, but most people that I've talked to don't.
                        You can be any religion and still be a druid.
                        So what sort of beliefs do you have as a Druid? I thought you also said Druids were into magic and stuff like that? Do you believe in magic?

(I wasn't being mocking earlier, just misunderstood what you were saying)

Comment