Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

COVID deaths still declining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    On Aug 1st, the 7-day average was over 1000, but less than 2000.
    There is no way it would have quadrupled based on numbers of new cases, the measured mortality has decreased due to several factors, change in demographic and better treatment being two significant ones. But I do believe we will see 160,000 deaths by the end of the first week in August, as i predicted a week or two ago (just based on current trends) and I expect by or before the 3rd week in August to see somewhere around 1500 deatjs/day 7 day average and that as long as we see #cases per day continue their decline, that will be a peak value for this round.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      You keep repeating yourself. However, this time seems to be due to the current website issues.

I'm sorry. Bad news. There is a site that lists the covid-19 studies done. Don't go there. You won't like it.
      https://c19study.com/
      I thought it would be appropriate here to repost this, because of some posting incomplete and misleading research, and name droping without the details to support their agenda.

Risch is a competent scientis, and yes there have been some positive results of using HCQ in combination with azithromycin.The article goes over the different research, and the limited positive results. It empasises that most of the previous reasearch is without control and good randomized studies. Severual research published with a good research design showed decidedly negative results,

Name droping without the details is not an adegaute response,

Source: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87844

In the Newsweek editorial and in the later journal submission, both of which were published following three highly publicized randomized trials that reported no benefit from HCQ, Risch did not address or even acknowledge them.

In a statement posted on Yale's website, Sten Vermund, MD, PhD, dean of the Yale School of Public Health, distanced himself from Risch's papers.

"My role as Dean is not to suppress the work of the faculty, but rather, to support the academic freedom of our faculty, whether it is in the mainstream of thinking or is contrarian," Vermund wrote.

"Yale-affiliated physicians used HCQ early in the response to COVID-19, but it is only used rarely at present due to evidence that it is ineffective and potentially risky."

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-03-2020, 08:19 AM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I thought it would be appropriate here to repost this, because of some posting incomplete and misleading research, and name droping without the details to support their agenda.

Risch is a competent scientis, and yes there have been some positive results of using HCQ in combination with azithromycin.The article goes over the different research, and the limited positive results. It empasises that most of the previous reasearch is without control and good randomized studies. Severual research published with a good research design showed decidedly negative results,

Name droping without the details is not an adegaute response,

Source: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87844

In the Newsweek editorial and in the later journal submission, both of which were published following three highly publicized randomized trials that reported no benefit from HCQ, Risch did not address or even acknowledge them.

"My role as Dean is not to suppress the work of the faculty, but rather, to support the academic freedom of our faculty

Funny response there. The research studies were listed at c19study.com. You have not responded to those.

The medpagetoday article is nothing significant. The dean sounds unbiased and supportive of staff -- but at the same time his view means nothing special in advancing our knowledge.

The medpage article refers to a study showing a failure of HCQ. However, the study showed destructive doses of HCQ given to patients: 800mg followed by 600mg in 6 to 8 hours , then 600mg daily for 4 more days
        (https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-4207). This is the Annals of Internal Medicine study under the link "three randomized studies" within the medpage article (https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/87601). The safely recommended dose is 200mg twice a week supplemented with daily Zinc.

The HCQ has a 40day half life. So we can see how quickly the study overdoses patients. Plus, the patients are likely susceptible to sickness due to lack of Zinc and Vitamin D. If the studies don't include Zinc and the Azithromycin (plus the normal doses of HCQ), the studies are junk science. We have covered this before. The study's doctors should be charged with malpractice rather than being published.

Comment

• We also know that that dosage was too severe. The study makes this apparent by noting:
          Source: https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-4207

Medication adverse effects occurred in 43% (92 of 212) of participants receiving hydroxychloroquine versus 22% (46 of 211) receiving placebo (P < 0.001).

How crazy can the doctors be who prescribed that high of a dose. The doctors are not supposed to be blind to safety recommendations when doing effectivity studies.

Comment

Funny response there. The research studies were listed at c19study.com. You have not responded to those.

The medpagetoday article is nothing significant. The dean sounds unbiased and supportive of staff -- but at the same time his view means nothing special in advancing our knowledge.

The medpage article refers to a study showing a failure of HCQ. However, the study showed destructive doses of HCQ given to patients: 800mg followed by 600mg in 6 to 8 hours , then 600mg daily for 4 more days
            (https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-4207). This is the Annals of Internal Medicine study under the link "three randomized studies" within the medpage article (https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/87601). The safely recommended dose is 200mg twice a week supplemented with daily Zinc.

The HCQ has a 40day half life. So we can see how quickly the study overdoses patients. Plus, the patients are likely susceptible to sickness due to lack of Zinc and Vitamin D. If the studies don't include Zinc and the Azithromycin (plus the normal doses of HCQ), the studies are junk science. We have covered this before. The study's doctors should be charged with malpractice rather than being published.
            Air ball, failure to respond.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Air ball, failure to respond.
              failure to respond in what way?

Comment

ALL the research are based on those that are already infected.
                That's not quite true. There are studies proposed or in progress regarding pre-exposure prophylaxis.
                Many researchers agree that a good case can be made for continuing to test whether hydroxychloroquine can prevent infection if given to people just in case they get exposed to the virus, for instance on the job at a hospital—a strategy called pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). “You have a much better chance of preventing something with a weak drug than you have of curing a fully established infection,” says White, who runs one of the largest PrEP trials. He notes that doxycycline, an antibiotic, has long been used in malaria prophylaxis. “We would never treat anybody with it, it’s too weak. But it’s a very good prophylactic.”

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...event-covid-19

Comment

failure to respond in what way?
                  The research cited. We already burned your reference as inconclusive, poorly designed research and lack of a double blind study. The research I cited was well designed research and found no significant benifit.

None of the research including your's demonstrated that CQN is a 'cure.' It wa sonly found have limited positive benifits, especially when combined with other drugs and treatments.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-03-2020, 12:22 PM.

Frank

Comment

The research cited. We already burned your reference as inconclusive, poorly designed research and lack of a double blind study. The research I cited was well designed research and found no significant benifit.

None of the research including your;s demonstrated that CQN is a 'cure.' It wa sonly found have limited positive benifits, especially when combined with other drugs and treatments.
                    It is funny. the UK study (funded in part by Gates Foundation) did an overdose of HCQ too. They did 1600mg on the first day with no Zinc introduced into the treatment. One thing notable about a Zinc deficiency is that people can lose their sense of taste and smell. So anyone with that symptom first needs Zinc.

By the way, to clarify or contradict what you said ... I have not run any medical studies to research HCQ.

While a double blind study is best for a new drug, the effectiveness of HCQ has already been proven for SARS. Those studies should intersect with the results doctors have already found. So it is suspicious when their is no correlation of the studies with the successful usage out in the field. The studies don't have to be double blind, especially if they double blind studies just give overdoses of an otherwise useful medicine. At the doses given in the studies, we cannot make a reasoned determination that HCQ now has become a risky drug.
                    Last edited by mikewhitney; 08-03-2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

It is funny. the UK study (funded in part by Gates Foundation) did an overdose of HCQ too. They did 1600mg on the first day with no Zinc introduced into the treatment. One thing notable about a Zinc deficiency is that people can lose their sense of taste and smell. So anyone with that symptom first needs Zinc.

By the way, to clarify or contradict what you said ... I have not run any medical studies to research HCQ.
                      Have you looked at all the research? Did you understand the reviews of the research?

Frank

Comment

Have you looked at all the research? Did you understand the reviews of the research?
                        Yes. I have looked at the research. That is how I know the protocols.

Comment

While a double blind study is best for a new drug, the effectiveness of HCQ has already been proven for SARS. Those studies should intersect with the results doctors have already found. So it is suspicious when their is no correlation of the studies with the successful usage out in the field. The studies don't have to be double blind, especially if they double blind studies just give overdoses of an otherwise useful medicine. At the doses given in the studies, we cannot make a reasoned determination that HCQ now has become a risky drug.
                          It's not funny. In fact your view is unethical, dishonest and tragic.

Frank

Comment

It's not funny. In fact your view is unethical, dishonest and tragic.
                            I know. Truth is now treated as dishonesty and unethical contribution to the sciences. I think this is your religious viewpoint overtaking any scientific thinking you had.

I have not seen where you highlight the points of the studies that helped give you confidence in what you think.

Comment

Yes. I have looked at the research. That is how I know the protocols.
                              Then you would understand the problems with your selective citations to justify your agenda.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/mask-protests-1918.html

The Mask Slackers of 1918

As the influenza pandemic swept across the United States in 1918 and 1919, masks took a role in political and cultural wars.

People waiting for masks in San Francisco in 1918.

People waiting for masks in San Francisco in 1918.Credit...Hamilton Henry Dobbin, via California State Library
                              Christine Hauser
                              By Christine Hauser
                              Aug. 3, 2020
                              Updated 12:29 p.m. ET

The masks were called muzzles, germ shields and dirt traps. They gave people a “pig-like snout.” Some people snipped holes in their masks to smoke cigars. Others fastened them to dogs in mockery. Bandits used them to rob banks.

More than a century ago, as the 1918 influenza pandemic raged in the United States, masks of gauze and cheesecloth became the facial front lines in the battle against the virus. But as they have now, the masks also stoked political division. Then, as now, medical authorities urged the wearing of masks to help slow the spread of disease. And then, as now, some people resisted.

In 1918 and 1919, as bars, saloons, restaurants, theaters and schools were closed, masks became a scapegoat, a symbol of government overreach, inspiring protests, petitions and defiant bare-face gatherings. All the while, thousands of Americans were dying in a deadly pandemic.

1918: The infection spreads.
                              The first infections were identified in March, at an Army base in Kansas, where 100 soldiers were infected. Within a week, the number of flu cases grew fivefold, and soon the disease was taking hold across the country, prompting some cities to impose quarantines and mask orders to contain it.

By the fall of 1918, seven cities — San Francisco, Seattle, Oakland, Sacramento, Denver, Indianapolis and Pasadena, Calif. — had put in effect mandatory face mask laws, said Dr. Howard Markel, a historian of epidemics and the author of “Quarantine!”

Organized resistance to mask wearing was not common, Dr. Markel said, but it was present. “There were flare-ups, there were scuffles and there were occasional groups, like the Anti-Mask League,” he said, “but that is the exception rather than the rule.”

At the forefront of the safety measures was San Francisco, where a man returning from a trip to Chicago apparently carried the virus home, research archives show.

By the end of October, there were more than 60,000 cases statewide, with 7,000 of them in San Francisco. It soon became known as the “masked city.”

ImageWorkers at an information desk wearing masks in San Francisco in 1918.

Workers at an information desk wearing masks in San Francisco in 1918.Credit...Hamilton Henry Dobbin, via California State Library

“The Mask Ordinance,” signed by Mayor James Rolph on Oct. 22, made San Francisco the first American city to require face coverings, which had to be four layers thick.

Frank

Comment

• Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/coronavirus-disaster-declared-melbourne-cases-surge-globally-n1235612

Coronavirus disaster declared in Melbourne as cases surge globally
                                The U.S. has entered "a new phase" of COVID-19 outbreaks with rural communities now seeing widespread infections, Dr. Deborah Birx said.

Australia's second-biggest city, Melbourne, already under night curfew, announced fresh restrictions on industries including retail and construction Monday in a bid to contain a resurgence of the coronavirus.

On Sunday, the government declared a state of disaster in Melbourne, forcing nonessential businesses to close for six weeks.

The measures come as countries around the globe grapple with surging cases.

From Wednesday night, Melbourne, the capital of Australia's Victoria state, will close retail, some manufacturing and administrative businesses as part of a six-week lockdown.

Melbourne emerges from COVID-19 curfew with warning of worse to come
                                AUG. 3, 202001:03
                                The new measures are expected to double the number of jobs affected by the coronavirus restrictions to around 500,000 and along with those working from home, will keep 1 million people from moving around for work, Victoria state Premier Daniel Andrews said.

Victoria state officials said Monday that 429 new infections were confirmed, while 13 more people died overnight.

“It’s heartbreaking. This pandemic, this virus is taking a heavy toll and now’s the time, as it has been throughout this pandemic, that we continue to provide support to one another,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

Australia has seen more than 18,000 cases of the virus and 221 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University. But it's only a small fraction of the more than 18 million cases confirmed worldwide, which has led to at least 689,000 deaths.

The United States continues to see the highest number of cases topping 4.6 million Monday and more than 156,000 deaths, according to NBC News' tracking.

The White House coronavirus task force coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx said Sunday that the country has entered "a new phase" of outbreaks with "extraordinarily widespread" infections in rural areas, as well as cities.

"What we are seeing today is different from March and April," Birx told CNN's "State of the Union." "To everybody who lives in a rural area: 'You are not immune or protected from this virus.'"

The number of people traveling for their summer holidays is another cause for concern, she said.

Melbourne emerges from COVID-19 curfew with warning of worse to come
                                "If you have chosen to go on vacation into a hot spot, you really need to come back and protect those with co-morbidities and assume you're infected," she said.

Leading the world's caseload after the U.S. and Brazil, India saw another spike of 52,972 new cases in 24 hours, pushing the country over the 1.8 million mark Monday. The health ministry also reported 771 deaths in 24 hours, taking total fatalities up to 38,135.

The Serum Institute of India received approval from the country's health authority Monday for conducting phase two and phase three trials of a COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by Britain's University of Oxford. At least 1,600 adults will participate in the trials.

A moderate lockdown was announced in the Philippine capital Manila and outlying provinces Monday after medical groups appealed for the move as coronavirus infections surge alarmingly.

The number of cases in the Philippines surged past 103,000 Sunday and is second-most in Southeast Asia. Effective Tuesday, mass public transport will be barred and only essential travel will be allowed — although leaders of nearly 100 medical organizations made a joint call for even tighter restrictions to give the health system "a timeout" to avoid becoming overwhelmed.

While many countries have seen rising cases, in China’s far northwestern region of Xinjiang, a recent outbreak is continuing to subside with 28 new cases reported Monday.

The outbreak of 590 cases so far has been concentrated in the capital, Urumqi, where authorities have conducted mass testing, cut public transport, isolated some communities and restricted travel.

No new deaths were reported, leaving China’s total at 4,634 among 84,428 reported cases of COVID-19.

Frank

Comment