Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

COVID deaths still declining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I was an OSHA supervisor for private environmental firms in the 1980's, and had to shave to test and use the masks. The training and recertification was miserable experiences.
    Yeah, I spent 6 months as a training officer for "gas mask training" for the PD --- I didn't "re-up" when that assignment was over.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      It was obviously the masks that made the difference. The masks also helped keep coronavirus from spreading among people in Antarctica
      Your sarcasm is noted. My wife was born and lived in HK for more than half her life and her entire family still lives there. I'm inclined to trust her on her statements regarding life in that country.

I would also note that HK has probably 8+ orders of magnitude higher population density than Antarctica.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        <<I dont like wearing masks and could care less what the facts are.>>
        I expected as much ...
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

(As an aside, I will never understand why people who preach "science" are so in love models when models are not science. A model is nothing more than a hypothesis. Science is about what has actually been proven with repeated observation and testing. So when someone says "science" but they really mean "models" then they're just trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.)
          MM, isn't the entire science of chemistry built around atomic / molecular models? Isn't the Newtonian view of gravity based around models? Aren't CPUs tested in the lab primarily based around the single stuck at fault model? Arent trillions, if not quadrillions, of $ worth of securities exchanged every day on the basis of economic modelling? Didn't I earn a PhD by predicting the performance of different CPU features based around simpler processor models?

A model is just a useful abstraction for a more complex phenomenon which we aren't able to tractably simulate / predict / compute. Your take is lunacy.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
            MM, isn't the entire science of chemistry built around atomic / molecular models? Isn't the Newtonian view of gravity based around models? Aren't CPUs tested in the lab primarily based around the single stuck at fault model? Arent trillions, if not quadrillions, of $ worth of securities exchanged every day on the basis of economic modelling? Didn't I earn a PhD by predicting the performance of different CPU features based around simpler processor models?

A model is just a useful abstraction for a more complex phenomenon which we aren't able to tractably simulate / predict / compute. Your take is lunacy.
            A model based on what is known and proven is one thing. A model based almost entirely on guesswork is something else. We're obviously dealing with the latter when it comes to the China flu.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              <<I don't have a good rebuttal, so I'm going to turn my opponent's lengthy argument into a straw man and pretend I'm somehow being witty.>>
              I expected as much...

Comment

That's not what it says. It says that ordinary cloth masks MAY protect others, which is the equivalent of saying that they MAY NOT protect others.
                Wearing a cloth facemask may protect others.
                Wearing a cloth facemask may not protect others.
                Not wearing a facemask at all will not protect others.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                  Wearing a cloth facemask may protect others.
                  Wearing a cloth facemask may not protect others.
                  Not wearing a facemask at all will not protect others.
                  Also, not wearing a face mask will not necessarily harm others, and in fact, your chances of transmitting or catching the China flu through casual social interaction is negligible making face masks an unnecessary inconvenience at best. But they sure are a great way to signal to others how virtuous you are. Heck, why not wear masks 24/7/365 based on the off chance that it could protect someone else?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man
                    That's not what it says. It says that ordinary cloth masks MAY protect others, which is the equivalent of saying that they MAY NOT protect others.
                    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Also, not wearing a face mask will not necessarily harm others, …
                    Which, as per your previous comment, is the equivalent of saying that it MAY harm others. Especially if you are in the 1% of the US population that has been infected.

Apparently you don't care that you might pass on a nasty virus to some-one more vulnerable than yourself, because you think wearing a mask might you look less manly. Morons like you are killing people.

900 Americans died unnecessarily yesterday. The US needs a new motto. Something like "My uncle died of Covid, but it was worth it to get my hair cut".
                    Last edited by Roy; 07-15-2020, 07:45 AM.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Which, as per your previous comment, is the equivalent of saying that it MAY harm others. Especially if you are in the 1% of the US population that has been infected.

Apparently you don't care that you might pass on a nasty virus to some-one more vulnerable than yourself, because you think wearing a mask might you look less manly. Morons like you are killing people.

900 Americans died unnecessarily yesterday. The US needs a new motto. Something like "My uncle died of Covid, but it was worth it to get my hair cut".
                      Apparently, you assume everyone is an active carrier... yet you didn't wear a mask just in case you were carrying the influenza virus, did you? People die of the flu every year too. How did they get it?
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                        Morons like you are killing people.

I can guarantee that me not wearing an ineffective face covering while buying food to feed my kids has not killed a single person even if paranoid idiots like you look on in horror at my unmasked glory.

Comment

I can guarantee that me not wearing an ineffective face covering while buying food to feed my kids has not killed a single person even if paranoid idiots like you look on in horror at my unmasked glory.
                          No - you can't (unless, of course, you simply haven't been allowed into a grocery store without a mask). And Roy is correct. Morons like you are killing people.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I can guarantee that me not wearing an ineffective face covering while buying food to feed my kids has not killed a single person
                            No, you can't.

I mean, if you're going to disagree about mask effectiveness, there's nothing anyone can do about that.

But don't lie about it. You cannot guarantee that no one has died as a result of your behavior, and every claim to the contrary is a bald-faced lie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Apparently, you assume everyone is an active carrier...
                              No, I don't. Learn to read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                No, I don't. Learn to read.
                                Then why require everyone to wear masks? Because you assume EVERYONE is carrying it and they can spread it.
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment