Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

COVID deaths still declining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID deaths still declining

For those who have feared that the number of coronavirus cases is going to lead to continuing high rates of deaths...

Have the current severe reduction of deaths finally convinced you that we are not having the problem of confirmed cases leading to 1% rates of deaths?

How much longer do you need to prove that increased "cases" are not leading to "continuing" epidemic numbers of deaths?

cases v deaths.jpg

Even though the daily cases is rising (because of more testing mostly) the death rates are still dropping.

Better look at just the daily deaths:

coviddeaths.jpg
    Last edited by Sparko; 07-07-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      For those who have feared that the number of coronavirus cases is going to lead to continuing high rates of deaths...

Have the current severe reduction of deaths finally convinced you that we are not having the problem of confirmed cases leading to 1% rates of deaths?

How much longer do you need to prove that increased "cases" are not leading to "continuing" epidemic numbers of deaths?
      True. And that even assumes that the stats are accurate. There is no routine program for counting and everyone (states, counties, hospitals) are out doing their own thing. The CDC admits that a positive result for infection isn't even mandatory for a "cause-of-death" determination to be attributed to covid! So that means a doctor can say "Oh, he had trouble breathing. That's all I know. Count it as a covid death. No other evidence required."

I posted this in another thread: A friend of mine from California called me last weekend to complain about the lockdown regulations in his county. He said after all of this time, he hasn't known a single person who was infected with covid, or known a person who knew a person who was infected, or knew a person who knew a person who was infected (etc.). Family or friends. I told him the same applied to me. However, we have both had the flu this year, and know several people who have had the flu this year. Something isn't adding up right. Especially since the CDC claims the number crunchers throughout the country are the same facilities that count flu cases.

Comment

This is TERRIBLE news.... for the doom-and-gloomers.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Good news is good news.

Comment

First the June surge is based on the increase in severe cases and hospitalizations, and the increase in cases not an increase in deaths. Second the 1% figure is a bogus issue that comes out of Trump's foolish statement that the COVID-19 pandemic was 99% harmless. Third, I predicted the June surge in the USA, because it follows the same pattern as other countries. Fourth, I also predicted that severity and mortality will decrease toward the end of the Pandemic like other pandemics and epidemics in the past, and it will mostly taper off and be mostly gone in the USA before the election naturally and no defeated the coronavirus. Fifth, it just follows the natural course like other pandemics, and epidemics. Sixth, We can reduce the cases and fatalities, but with no vaccines, and technology is just coming into play to treat it the course of the virus is more a natural course. Seventh, people are still dying from COVID-19 in the USA and in greater numbers world wide, and this is the largest pandemic since 1957.

It is a cold indifferent tragedy that many minimize the COVID-19 pandemic as just like the regular flu including Donald Trump.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Good news is good news.
              And ALL THE TIME, God is good!!!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                And ALL THE TIME, God is good!!!
                There is a great danish church hymn that sings

"God is god
                Even if all lands lay waste
                God is god
                Even i all men where dead."

And God is good.

Comment

Correction: The COVID-19 pandemic is the most deadly since the 1917-1920 pandemic.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  First the June surge is based on the increase in severe cases and hospitalizations, and the increase in cases not an increase in deaths. Second the 1% figure is a bogus issue that comes out of Trump's foolish statement that the COVID-19 pandemic was 99% harmless. Third, I predicted the June surge in the USA, because it follows the same pattern as other countries. Fourth, I also predicted that severity and mortality will decrease toward the end of the Pandemic like other pandemics and epidemics in the past, and it will mostly taper off and be mostly gone in the USA before the election naturally and no defeated the coronavirus. Fifth, it just follows the natural course like other pandemics, and epidemics. Sixth, We can reduce the cases and fatalities, but with no vaccines, and technology is just coming into play to treat it the course of the virus is more a natural course. Seventh, people are still dying from COVID-19 in the USA and in greater numbers world wide, and this is the largest pandemic since 1957.

It is a cold indifferent tragedy that many minimize the COVID-19 pandemic as just like the regular flu including Donald Trump.
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Correction: The COVID-19 pandemic is the most deadly since the 1917-1920 pandemic.
                    If I understand what you have said -- you agree that the rate of deaths have gone down and your prediction was wrong.

I don't pay attention to Trump's numbers. Are you saying that 1% (or more????) of people who have a positive test of coronavirus are dying now?

I liked what I heard from one doctor's office. His nurses sent in swabs that had not been used -- they all came back positive for coronavirus. The test may be a bit too sensitive-- no?

I think it was the Kenyan leader who sent in samples taken from motor oil and from fruit. The lab results showed these had coronavirus.
                    Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-07-2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

If I understand what you have said -- you agree that the rate of deaths have gone down and your prediction was wrong.

I don't pay attention to Trump's numbers. Are you saying that 1% (or more????) of people who have a positive test of coronavirus are dying now?

I liked what I heard from one doctor's office. His nurses sent in swabs that had not been used -- they all came back positive for coronavirus. The test may be a bit too sensitive-- no?
                      CDC, on their website, is about to declare this an epidemic rather than a pandemic. Deaths have fallen, but since new cases have been reported, they're holding off to see what deaths trail the rise in positive cases.

Additionally, since MANY of these new cases are young people, the death rate is not expected to rise sharply.

Comment

CDC, on their website, is about to declare this an epidemic rather than a pandemic. Deaths have fallen, but since new cases have been reported, they're holding off to see what deaths trail the rise in positive cases.

Additionally, since MANY of these new cases are young people, the death rate is not expected to rise sharply.
                        That makes sense. Because the evidence across the world is that this pandemic didn't ... well ... pan out, just say Amercia is in a epidemic.

Comment

That makes sense. Because the evidence across the world is that this pandemic didn't ... well ... pan out, just say Amercia is in a epidemic.
                          cdc.jpg

Key Updates for Week 26, ending June 27, 2020

Nationally, levels of influenza-like illness (ILI) and COVID-19-like illness (CLI) activity remain lower than peaks seen in March and April but are increasing in most regions. The percentage of specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, also increased from last week. Mortality attributed to COVID-19 decreased compared to last week and is currently at the epidemic threshold but will likely increase as additional death certificates are processed.

Comment

Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 9.0% during week 25 to 5.9% during week 26, representing the tenth week of a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC. The percentage is currently at the epidemic threshold but will likely change as more death certificates are processed, particularly for recent weeks.
                            There are several odd things about this statement of mortality. The first is that they are now including pneumonia and influenza in the same category as COVID-19, which seems to allow a claim of higher mortality, even if not the same basis used in March and April. Next, they say it is at the threshold but did not specify really what that threshold is. The question also arises what these percentages describe. This last point is of concern because the number of deaths in California and Texas have been way below normal flu deaths. So it seems odd to say that the numbers are above (or right at) epidemic levels.

Comment

Source? What is happening is simply the slow grueling end of the Pandemic. It was and will always be a pandemic of recoed.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-07-2020, 06:17 PM.

Frank

Comment