Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

COVID deaths still declining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Thing are not going well in Texas . .
    You think I don't know this? Do you get some sadistic pleasure in in this?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have posted numerous well documented references.
      That has nothing to do with your stupid antiquated one-liners.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        No, I do not know what you specifically know about the COVID-19

Actually this post was more for Mike than you, because your responded to a chain of my posts to him. He questions the fatality records for COVID-19. Also in response to your sarcastic "new material."
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

No, I do not know what you specifically know about the COVID-19
          You keep throwing Texas in my face. I LIVE here. I get updates directly from the Governor. I don't need some internet telling me what's going on around me.

HOWEVER --- I don't live hear Dallas, Houston or San Antonio, where the bulk of this is. SHEEEEESH, you gloom and doomers are MORBID!

Actually this post was more for Mike than you, because your responded to a chain of my posts to him. He questions the fatality records for COVID-19.
          So, go do battle with Mike.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
            Can you elaborate on this, please? In a different thread/forum if you prefer.

I technically am not someone who believes in a "purely materialist universe", but I'm often portrayed that way by theists - so I'm unsure if you're referring to atheists or not. In any case, if I assume that you are referring to someone like me, and if I accept that label for the sake of discussion - I don't see how the problem of evil exists for me. At all. My relationship with the universe is amoral, and as such, any evil or goodness I (or others) experience is a function of the contents of that universe: other people, nature, governments, laws, etc ad nauseum.

The only problem with evil is that it needs to be minimized, which is often difficult to do. This is also true for theists who believe in an omnimax deity - but that's not what's being referred to as "the problem of evil"
            Given that your relationship with the universe is amoral, there should be no such thing as 'evil' or 'good'. All that happens is "a function of the contents of that universe". Therein lies your problem. Incidentally, if all that happens is a function of the contents of that universe, it is not possible to minimize 'evil' - that would require a change in the contents of that universe, which is unpossible.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Are you ready to admit you've been wrong all along about the virus yet? That you've been part of supporting idiotic ideas promoted by people approaching the issue from political and partisan wishful thinking rather that the hard science that has been available to anyone willing to look at it since March?

That your participation, along with those of millions of others led astray by such misinformation, has cost hundreds of thousands of lives, and may well cost nearly a hundred thousand more?

Are you ready to don a mask yet and quit whining about it and lending support to those on this website that mock that simple effort at constraining spread of the virus?
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Given that your relationship with the universe is amoral, there should be no such thing as 'evil' or 'good'.
                ...with respect to the universe. Yes. The universe is incapable of committing or setting the standards for good and/or evil.

Good and evil still exist, though, and neither is difficult for me to attribute or explain: evil is the unnecessary causing of suffering in conscious creatures, and good is that which reduces evil. They cause no contradictions - which is what the problem of evil is: a contradiction.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Incidentally, if all that happens is a function of the contents of that universe, it is not possible to minimize 'evil' - that would require a change in the contents of that universe, which is unpossible.
                I don't understand what you're saying here. In any case, though, there is no problem of evil in my worldview

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Are you ready to admit you've been wrong all along about the virus yet?
                  Get help, Jim.

Comment

Get help, Jim.
                    You're the one that needs help CP. You are an intelligent man that has ignored all the numbers and the data and jumped on a partisan band wagon of denial that has killed over 100,000 people. And you are a person intelligent enough to have known better.

And it's not as if you didn't have a true friend trying day after day to get you to wake up to what you were doing.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You're the one that needs help CP.
                      I trust in the Lord.

You are an intelligent man
                      SO very true!

that has ignored all the numbers and the data
                      Absolutely false.

and jumped on a partisan band wagon of denial that has killed over 100,000 people.
                      Absolutely false.

And you are a person intelligent enough
                      Absolutely true.

And it's not as if you didn't have a true friend trying day after day to get you to wake up to what you were doing.
                      Yup, you need help.

Comment

Thing are not going well in Texas . .

Houston patients wait in ER for hours, days before being moved to hospital beds
                        JULY 10, 202004:24
                        Officials in Houston are warning that the situation could become a replay of what happened in New York City in March and April, when thousands of people died as hospitals struggled to keep up with the surge of patients, but without the same level of government intervention to stem the tide.

Although hospital leaders say they are working to provide high-quality care for patients being held in emergency rooms — in part by bringing specialized medical staff and equipment to patients being treated there — studies done before the coronavirus pandemic show that the longer patients stay in ERs, the worse their outcomes. [/cite]
                        You are wrong on so many point. I don't have the info at my fingertips. But it was several years ago that WHO removed the number of deaths from the requirements for declaring pandemics.

Is there actual daily data available for Houston? Have you calculated this data against normal flu/influenza season?

When we do the calculations we find...

There's a population of 4,092,459 in Harris County (co.harris.tx.us) and we apply a .025% death rate for flu in a year) which gives 1023 expected deaths. This would be 6 per day during a six month flu season. The numbers reported are 603 deaths per the article (or 455 per the websiste https://harriscounty.maps.arcgis.com...5efcb7c07c6914 ). Currently 420-550 deaths could occur without reaching beyond the normal flu season level.

Please report back in panic when the number of deaths exceed 2000 in a season.

As to hospital loading, the typical situation for hospitals is to have most ICU beds occupied. One question is whether they are able to use chloroquine/zinc/azithromicin or Pulmicort for early treatment of the COVID patients. Also, we have not been provided the percent of ICU beds being used for COVID patients. So the numbers just promote panic without facts or details.
                        Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-11-2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Are you ready to admit you've been wrong all along about the virus yet? That you've been part of supporting idiotic ideas promoted by people approaching the issue from political and partisan wishful thinking rather that the hard science that has been available to anyone willing to look at it since March?

That your participation, along with those of millions of others led astray by such misinformation, has cost hundreds of thousands of lives, and may well cost nearly a hundred thousand more?

Are you ready to don a mask yet and quit whining about it and lending support to those on this website that mock that simple effort at constraining spread of the virus?
                          I just responded with facts and statistics on Harris County. So you can explain (again?) why a magical spike in deaths will occur.

Also, can you explain how facts about coronavirus are political and partisan. I'm providing facts so that we don't fall into superstitious fear of the coronavirus. Do democrats prefer superstitious facts? Is that why state-provided facts are not acceptable?

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            ...with respect to the universe. Yes. The universe is incapable of committing or setting the standards for good and/or evil.

Good and evil still exist, though, and neither is difficult for me to attribute or explain: evil is the unnecessary causing of suffering in conscious creatures, and good is that which reduces evil. They cause no contradictions - which is what the problem of evil is: a contradiction.
                            Those are fascinating definitions for evil and good. It would be nice if you had any basis for them. You don't.
                            I don't understand what you're saying here. In any case, though, there is no problem of evil in my worldview
                            Are you a hard determinist? If not, why not?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Why is there still no national COVID-19 strategy in place in the US? Everything seems to be reactive when it should be obvious to anyone that proactive measures are needed. There shouldn’t be shortages in PPE or hospital beds happening again.

If infections appear in a new location don’t wait until they are literally begging for additional resources before acting. Send the resources immediately and have them enforce appropriate social measures. That would result in significant reductions in infections and costs.

Bragging about doing the most testing has the rest of the world face palming. There’s a reason other countries didn’t need to test much at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                                I just responded with facts and statistics on Harris County. So you can explain (again?) why a magical spike in deaths will occur.

Also, can you explain how facts about coronavirus are political and partisan. I'm providing facts so that we don't fall into superstitious fear of the coronavirus. Do democrats prefer superstitious facts? Is that why state-provided facts are not acceptable?
                                A spike in deaths will occur/is occurring because there has been a massive spike in cases. Statistics is about populations or the average behavior of a process or system. The virus kill a certain percentage of those it infects. At 60000 cases a day, that is at least 600 per day three weeks from now. But given that the weeks following 30,000 cases saw nearly 2500 deaths day, we can expect, even with a shift in demographic, to see over 3000 deaths /day in the weeks to come.

Why so much more? Because the 1 to 2% real morality we typically talk about is not the mortality of people symptomatic enough to need a test in the environment we have in the us. That is more like 5 % or more.

But some of that is changing and so I do not expect the peak from these 60000+ days to necessarily track 1-1 the 30000+ days in late march and april.
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-11-2020, 08:17 PM.

Comment