Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

COVID deaths still declining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think they must be doing some funny number crunching. I've been to Houston hospitals TWICE last week, and talked to staff both in ER and Clergy --- it's like a GHOST TOWN in the Medical center. I even got to park FREE.

Then, I see things like this....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46570[/ATTACH]

That's one of Houston's big News Channels - Channel 2, and their own Click2Houston tracking, using the Southeast Texas Regional Advisory Council (SETRAC).

I've also seen the big headline stuff about ICU ROOMS OVERCROWDED, then the data source deleted.

It's like the GloomAndDoomers have to cook the books to come up with their FearMongering.
    Your graph shows that ICU beds are at capacity and nearly half of the ICU beds are occupied by COVID45 patients (and 2.5x a month ago). How do you think this helps your argument?

hospital.jpg

Comment

• And here's Texas Medical Center's status...

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Again, this just shows that the conventional ICU capacity is full and nearly half of those patients are COVID patients. How does that help your case?

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          Your graph shows that ICU beds are at capacity and nearly half of the ICU beds are occupied by COVID45 patients (and 2.5x a month ago). How do you think this helps your argument?
          Because the GloomAndDoomers seem to be claiming that the ICU beds are being overrun with COVID patients -- and that's simply not true. But "nearly half" doesn't sound NEARLY as scary as "they're stacking them up in the hallways".

And there was a HUGE capacity at a special hospital (like a MASH unit) at George R Brown Convention Center that hadn't even been tapped. Now, you can't even find any reference to it.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Because the GloomAndDoomers seem to be claiming that the ICU beds are being overrun with COVID patients -- and that's simply not true. But "nearly half" doesn't sound NEARLY as scary as "they're stacking them up in the hallways".

And there was a HUGE capacity at a special hospital (like a MASH unit) at George R Brown Convention Center that hadn't even been tapped. Now, you can't even find any reference to it.
            Whistling past the graveyard. The fact that we need to construct field hospitals in convention centers to deal with an entirely predictable outcome (one which *I*, for one, pointed out was going to happen!) is reason enough to give Abott a little (or a lot) of "Texas Justice."

And the fact that you think *half* ICU beds being full of COVID45 patients isn't terrifying is... not something I'm equipped to deal with. Holy hell.

brodequin.jpg

Comment

Whistling past the graveyard. The fact that we need to construct field hospitals in convention centers to deal with an entirely predictable outcome (one which *I*, for one, pointed out was going to happen!) is reason enough to give Abott a little (or a lot) of "Texas Justice."

And the fact that you think *half* ICU beds being full of COVID45 patients isn't terrifying is... not something I'm equipped to deal with. Holy hell.
              I'm just amazed at how a crisis like this can electrify the GloomAndDoomers, where it seems they have to compete for the scariest possible scenario.

Before, it was Global Warming, then Climate Change --- now that's all totally out of the news, and it's all about COVID. The scarier the better.

SHAME on anybody who is not absolutely horrified.

It's amazing that you guys think you're actually accomplishing anything of value here.

But, hey, knock yourselves out - at least you're not out looting and rioting and "toppling" statues. (probably cause some of you are too old and out of shape. )

Comment

I'm just amazed at how a crisis like this can electrify the GloomAndDoomers, where it seems they have to compete for the scariest possible scenario.

Before, it was Global Warming, then Climate Change --- now that's all totally out of the news, and it's all about COVID. The scarier the better.

SHAME on anybody who is not absolutely horrified.

It's amazing that you guys think you're actually accomplishing anything of value here.

But, hey, knock yourselves out - at least you're not out looting and rioting and "toppling" statues. (probably cause some of you are too old and out of shape. )
                If the above is really who you are then you are just a disgusting person. Sorry if that makes me sound like a liberal weenie. I'm done with you.

ETA: Tragically I'm not allowed to put you on my ignore list. Please put me on yours.

Comment

If the above is really who you are then you are just a disgusting person.
                  No morbid pictures to post? (You could throw in your little rant about not being a patriot! )

Sorry if that makes me sound like a liberal weenie.
                  It does.

I'm done with you.
                  You are not.

ETA: Tragically I'm not allowed to put you on my ignore list. Please put me on yours.
                  Nope.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    I posted my main reply between your last post and this post. But your idea about data being meaningless does not make sense. Since when are actual data not relevant in measuring how bad a virus is? Is not the idea of a pandemic supposed to mean that we have scary numbers of death beyond normal levels? If you want to call normal death rates as epidemics, you can. But don't expect everyone to wear a mask because you call it a pandemic. Nor is there legal basis to have people wear masks because people are dying at normal death rates.
                    Your data still makes no sense, nor is relevant to determination of what is and is not a pandemic.. The actual fatality rates as defined in the references provided of the COVID-19 pandemic, and how pandemics are defined determine that it is the second highest fatality rate of the pandemics in the 20th and 21st century behind the 1917-1920 pandemic.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      Your data still makes no sense, nor is relevant to determination of what is and is not a pandemic.. The actual fatality rates as defined in the references provided of the COVID-19 pandemic, and how pandemics are defined determine that it is the second highest fatality rate of the pandemics in the 20th and 21st century behind the 1917-1920 pandemic.
                      Your point is of little significance.
                      If the Spanish Flu is the top of the scale at 100 ... and bird flu is a 10 and swine flu a 12 and coronavirus is 15, we will equate coronavirus with bird flu and swine flu rather than with Spanish flu.

I have not checked the actual number here but I'm sure I'm not far off in principle.

Comment

If there are no icu beds available, those new covid19 patients needing them still don't get treatment. What moron thinks that the only way it's a problem is if ALL the ICU beds are covid 19 patients?
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I think we would do best to ignore one another Jim. I can. Can you?

I have tried to put you on ignore cp, but it is not allowed. And in general, I dont ignore ignorance if I see it. So If you post ignorance and I see it, I will likely post a counter to it..
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-13-2020, 12:32 AM.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            If there are no icu beds available, those new covid19 patients needing them still don't get treatment. What moron thinks that the only way it's a problem is if ALL the ICU beds are covid 19 patients?
                            How about send those patients to nursing homes just as Cuomo did?

I think CP previously mentioned that hospitals have flexibility to add ICU beds as needed. And they send people to other hospitals as appropriate.

The best solution has been early treatment with hydrochloroquine/Zinc/Azithromycin or Pulmicort. So we have lots of decent non-Cuomo solutions to this.

This is fun, since the answers are readily available.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                              How about send those patients to nursing homes just as Cuomo did?

I think CP previously mentioned that hospitals have flexibility to add ICU beds as needed. And they send people to other hospitals as appropriate.

The best solution has been early treatment with hydrochloroquine/Zinc/Azithromycin or Pulmicort. So we have lots of decent non-Cuomo solutions to this.

This is fun, since the answers are readily available.
                              You are wrong - again.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                You are wrong - again.
                                I'm still holding out hope that you will not continue rejecting the truth. You can do a little research and start understanding the facts.

Comment