Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

COVID deaths still declining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Then you would understand the problems with your selective citations to justify your agenda.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/mask-protests-1918.html

The Mask Slackers of 1918

As the influenza pandemic swept across the United States in 1918 and 1919, masks took a role in political and cultural wars.

“The Mask Ordinance,” signed by Mayor James Rolph on Oct. 22, made San Francisco the first American city to require face coverings, which had to be four layers thick.

© Copyright Original Source

You rely on the people who made up the 1619 project? You keep on using articles that make people question your sensibility. But we can run with what you have. So you rely on an article about masks which also does not rely on scientific evidence that we protect others from infection when we, with no symptoms or virus, wear a mask. However, you may improve your reputation by examining the science that you keep avoiding.

You are doing a fine job of revealing the silliness of the arguments from the leftists.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      You rely on the people who made up the 1619 project? You keep on using articles that make people question your sensibility. But we can run with what you have. So you rely on an article about masks which also does not rely on scientific evidence that we protect others from infection when we, with no symptoms or virus, wear a mask. However, you may improve your reputation by examining the science that you keep avoiding.

You are doing a fine job of revealing the silliness of the arguments from the leftists.
      Your ignoring the evidence and the research is what is tragic. COVID-19 does not belong to a political party.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/coronavirus-disaster-declared-melbourne-cases-surge-globally-n1235612

Coronavirus disaster declared in Melbourne as cases surge globally
        The U.S. has entered "a new phase" of COVID-19 outbreaks with rural communities now seeing widespread infections, Dr. Deborah Birx said.

Australia's second-biggest city, Melbourne, already under night curfew, announced fresh restrictions on industries including retail and construction Monday in a bid to contain a resurgence of the coronavirus.

On Sunday, the government declared a state of disaster in Melbourne, forcing nonessential businesses to close for six weeks.

The measures come as countries around the globe grapple with surging cases.

From Wednesday night, Melbourne, the capital of Australia's Victoria state, will close retail, some manufacturing and administrative businesses as part of a six-week lockdown.

Melbourne emerges from COVID-19 curfew with warning of worse to come
        AUG. 3, 202001:03
        The new measures are expected to double the number of jobs affected by the coronavirus restrictions to around 500,000 and along with those working from home, will keep 1 million people from moving around for work, Victoria state Premier Daniel Andrews said.

Victoria state officials said Monday that 429 new infections were confirmed, while 13 more people died overnight.

“It’s heartbreaking. This pandemic, this virus is taking a heavy toll and now’s the time, as it has been throughout this pandemic, that we continue to provide support to one another,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

Australia has seen more than 18,000 cases of the virus and 221 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University. But it's only a small fraction of the more than 18 million cases confirmed worldwide, which has led to at least 689,000 deaths.

The United States continues to see the highest number of cases topping 4.6 million Monday and more than 156,000 deaths, according to NBC News' tracking.

The White House coronavirus task force coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx said Sunday that the country has entered "a new phase" of outbreaks with "extraordinarily widespread" infections in rural areas, as well as cities.

"What we are seeing today is different from March and April," Birx told CNN's "State of the Union." "To everybody who lives in a rural area: 'You are not immune or protected from this virus.'"

The number of people traveling for their summer holidays is another cause for concern, she said.

Melbourne emerges from COVID-19 curfew with warning of worse to come
        "If you have chosen to go on vacation into a hot spot, you really need to come back and protect those with co-morbidities and assume you're infected," she said.

Leading the world's caseload after the U.S. and Brazil, India saw another spike of 52,972 new cases in 24 hours, pushing the country over the 1.8 million mark Monday. The health ministry also reported 771 deaths in 24 hours, taking total fatalities up to 38,135.

The Serum Institute of India received approval from the country's health authority Monday for conducting phase two and phase three trials of a COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by Britain's University of Oxford. At least 1,600 adults will participate in the trials.

A moderate lockdown was announced in the Philippine capital Manila and outlying provinces Monday after medical groups appealed for the move as coronavirus infections surge alarmingly.

The number of cases in the Philippines surged past 103,000 Sunday and is second-most in Southeast Asia. Effective Tuesday, mass public transport will be barred and only essential travel will be allowed — although leaders of nearly 100 medical organizations made a joint call for even tighter restrictions to give the health system "a timeout" to avoid becoming overwhelmed.

While many countries have seen rising cases, in China’s far northwestern region of Xinjiang, a recent outbreak is continuing to subside with 28 new cases reported Monday.

The outbreak of 590 cases so far has been concentrated in the capital, Urumqi, where authorities have conducted mass testing, cut public transport, isolated some communities and restricted travel.

No new deaths were reported, leaving China’s total at 4,634 among 84,428 reported cases of COVID-19.

© Copyright Original Source

We knew from the start that it was going to continue to spread. The purpose of the whole "flattening the curve" concept was to try to keep it from happening all at once and completely overwhelming the hospitals.

Yet somewhere along the way someone somewhere decided that the success we had in flattening the curve was also supposed to bring an end to the Chicom coronavirus which of course is utter nonsense. Flattening the curve was going to mean a prolonged pandemic because it kept it from happening all at once.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Your ignoring the evidence and the research is what is tragic. COVID-19 does not belong to a political party.
          You still have to show what evidence and research informs you. You have not shown any interest in the details of the studies yet.

It sure seems that the Democrats, more than the Republicans, are trying to hide the simple cure. The Democrats have found a friend in COVID.

Are you ready to discuss the research that has been done? What is the basis for giving patients or doctors an overdose in one day?
          Last edited by mikewhitney; 08-03-2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

You still have to show what evidence and research informs you. You have not shown any interest in the details of the studies yet.

It sure seems that the Democrats, more than the Republicans, are trying to hide the simple cure. The Democrats have found a friend in COVID.

Are you ready to discuss the research that has been done? What is the basis for giving patients or doctors an overdose in one day?
            I cited a anrticle that described and ummerized all the present research, and at present you ignored.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              We knew from the start that it was going to continue to spread. The purpose of the whole "flattening the curve" concept was to try to keep it from happening all at once and completely overwhelming the hospitals.

Yet somewhere along the way someone somewhere decided that the success we had in flattening the curve was also supposed to bring an end to the Chicom coronavirus which of course is utter nonsense. Flattening the curve was going to mean a prolonged pandemic because it kept it from happening all at once.
              Try again. Or do you delight in being incorrect?

There is a real problem here rogue. I know for a fact you are more than intelligent enough to understand tye difference between what you've written here and reality, just as Sarfati is wrt the supernova quote we both have referenced so often.

The question then is why. But you most certainly do owe Sarfati an apology. For you have here engaged in the same sort of distortion of the facts he is so famous for.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I cited a anrticle that described and ummerized all the present research, and at present you ignored.
                I think I reviewed everything you posted for useful content and properly responded to such information. I don't remember you posting specific research. If I remember correctly, my response was to supply the list of research that has been done -- as shown on c19study.com. You had no response to that nor have you provided research to show a legit concern about HCQ.

Looking forward to the time that you present an argument...

Oh. If you were talking about the medpage article. I looked at one of the 3 studies. It showed they were giving patients a killer dose and thereby showing HCQ as having bad effects -- no duh. I did not see how you justified giving patients deadly amounts of the drug. I'm sure you are going to explain that shortly.
                Last edited by mikewhitney; 08-03-2020, 11:59 PM.

Comment

I think I reviewed everything you posted for useful content and properly responded to such information. I don't remember you posting specific research. If I remember correctly, my response was to supply the list of research that has been done -- as shown on c19study.com. You had no response to that nor have you provided research to show a legit concern about HCQ.

Looking forward to the time that you present an argument...

Oh. If you were talking about the medpage article. I looked at one of the 3 studies. It showed they were giving patients a killer dose and thereby showing HCQ as having bad effects -- no duh. I did not see how you justified giving patients deadly amounts of the drug. I'm sure you are going to explain that shortly.
                  Nothing coherent here. Your understanding of the article is dismal. The article was comprehensive and accurate. There were no killrt doses involved, No need to explain.

Frank

Comment

It is funny. the UK study (funded in part by Gates Foundation) did an overdose of HCQ too. They did 1600mg on the first day with no Zinc introduced into the treatment. One thing notable about a Zinc deficiency is that people can lose their sense of taste and smell. So anyone with that symptom first needs Zinc.
                    According to the NIH factsheet anosmia is associated with an excess of zinc, not a deficiency. Mikewhitney is basically saying that people with symptoms of zinc poisoning should take more zinc.

Morons like him are getting people killed.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

You still have to show what evidence and research informs you.
                      Sure!

The authorization of a product for emergency use under section 564 of the Federal Food, Drug,and Cosmetic Act (the Act) (21 U.S.C. 360bbb-3) may, pursuant to section 564(g)(2) of the Act,be revised or revoked when the criteria under section 564(b)(1) of the Act no longer exist, thecriteria under section 564(c) of the Act for issuance of such authorization are no longer met, orother circumstances make such revision or revocation appropriate to protect the public health orsafety.

FDA has determined that the criteria under section 564(c) of the Act for issuance of the EUAreferenced above are no longer met. Under section 564(c)(2) of the Act, an EUA may be issuedonly if FDA concludes “that, based on the totality of scientific evidence available to theSecretary, including data from adequate and well-controlled clinical trials, if available, it isreasonable to believe that: (A) the product may be effective in diagnosing, treating, orpreventing—(i) such disease or condition [….]; and (B) the known and potential benefits of theproduct, when used to diagnose, prevent, or treat such disease or condition, outweigh the knownand potential risks of the product […].”

As explained in the attached memorandum, based on a review of new information and areevaluation of information available at the time the EUA was issued, FDA now concludes thatthese criteria are no longer met. The bases for this decision include the following:

• We now believe that the suggested dosing regimens for CQ and HCQ as detailedin the Fact Sheets are unlikely to produce an antiviral effect.

• Earlier observations of decreased viral shedding with HCQ or CQ treatment havenot been consistently replicated and recent data from a randomized controlled trialassessing probability of negative conversion showed no difference between HCQand standard of care alone.

• Current U.S. treatment guidelines do not recommend the use of CQ or HCQ inhospitalized patients with COVID-19 outside of a clinical trial, and the NIHguidelines now recommend against such use outside of a clinical trial.

• Recent data from a large randomized controlled trial showed no evidence ofbenefit for mortality or other outcomes such as hospital length of stay or need formechanical ventilation of HCQ treatment in hospitalized patients with COVID19.

FDA has concluded that, based on this new information and other information discussed in theattached memorandum, it is no longer reasonable to believe that oral formulations of HCQ andCQ may be effective in treating COVID-19, nor is it reasonable to believe that the known andpotential benefits of these products outweigh their known and potential risks. Accordingly, FDArevokes the EUA for emergency use of HCQ and CQ to treat COVID-19, pursuant to section564(g)(2) of the Act. As of the date of this letter, the oral formulations of HCQ and CQ are nolonger authorized by FDA to treat COVID-19.

Comment

Nothing coherent here. Your understanding of the article is dismal. The article was comprehensive and accurate. There were no killrt doses involved, No need to explain.
                        Thanks again for providing no research. Your record is unbroken.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          According to the NIH factsheet anosmia is associated with an excess of zinc, not a deficiency. Mikewhitney is basically saying that people with symptoms of zinc poisoning should take more zinc.

Morons like him are getting people killed.
                          Actually, anosmia can be due to zinc-containing nasal sprays, or to zinc deficiency, among other causes.

But that doesn't mean that anosmia associated with covid-19 has anything to do with zinc.

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/how-cov...ses-loss-smell

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            The part that you quoted has no research studies within it, so I'm not sure how you relied on that.

The date of the letter, Jun 15, 2020, suggests the FDA may have relied on studies which were retracted. The retraction of a study is a rare thing for journals. Especially notable is that the studies are being made available before publishing too. So, the timely publishing is not an essential element for sharing the study. Overall then, even the journals are too hasty in publishing material so as to get the best info to people.

Thus the letter is too old to rely on. Plus, there are problems with the studies that I have listed earlier. If the studies do not test the dosages that have been found useful in the field, the studies can fail simply for giving the wrong dosages or protocols. I may get a chance to check the FDA's opinion on this to see what they relied upon. Your post certainly does not show that you relied upon any specific research.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                              Actually, anosmia can be due to zinc-containing nasal sprays, or to zinc deficiency, among other causes.

But that doesn't mean that anosmia associated with covid-19 has anything to do with zinc.

That's helpful. It's good to see that the doctor had made an accurate point. Certainly, the doctor has to evaluate things to make a decision on individual situations. Yet, it should be noted, as I heard, is that the typical person in America has a Zinc deficiency so that Zinc would still be the general recommendation to make the HCQ an effective treatment for many patients being treated with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

As an aside, I can tell you as a singer that zinc has proven very effective for me against colds (though not the flu), and i can also tell you that taken as a nasal gel it can affect the sense of smell. Interestingly, the single most effective form of that type of cold remedy is not mentioned in the nih fact sheet studies, and that is a throat spray targeting the back of the throat. That works, in my experience, better than a lozenge, as well as a nasal gel, with no or perhaps far less potential to effect the sense of smell.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment