Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can't Mandate Masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    You haven’t provided any evidence that masks “help no one” but sufficient evidence that a mask would interfere with the precious topology of your face.
    You sound more silly as the discussion continues. I have posted this information in several threads here. You have to explain how someone that does not have coronavirus will make you sick by coronavirus. You will have to explain why people with no other existing conditions are susceptible to death by coronavirus. The science is against your implied preference to wear masks.

If you feel protected (or want to virtue signal) by wearing masks, go ahead.

Comment

“Some people don’t brush their teeth properly, so let’s not brush our teeth”
      Yeah, you've burned that straw man already.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Yeah, you've burned that straw man already.
        Hahaha okay then...

“People don’t wear personal protective equipment properly, so let’s not wear PPE at all.”

Comment

Hahaha okay then...

“People don’t wear personal protective equipment properly, so let’s not wear PPE at all.”
          Still burning strawmen.

You're ignoring an important qualifier in my initial statement. See if you can figure out what that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Still burning strawmen.

You're ignoring an important qualifier in my initial statement. See if you can figure out what that is.
            Stop pretending you’re not an anti-mask snowflake.
            Last edited by whag; 07-08-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              How am I a seen as a moron for telling you the truth?
              Well for starters, you didn't tell the truth.

Masks are effective, and especially so given that the infected often don't know they're infected.

If I were super contagious with a disease and had evidence that wearing a mask would help other people, I could consider wearing one.
              Considering that you wont necessarily know when you're super-contagious, wearing one is just smart. There's no good reason to not wear one, and especially so since they're primarily to protect the other people around you. Some of those people have weakened or compromised immune systems, or have family members with the same problem - and you'll be helping them keep their loved ones safe.

Just wear one, because it's the right thing to do. It's good to be concerned about the health and welfare of others.

I don't mean to be a ****, but an atheist shouldn't have to be telling a Christian these things.

ps. Judge Andrew Policano has no authority in the matter of whether governments can mandate the wearing of masks, so his opinion just isn't that important.
              Last edited by Whateverman; 07-08-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Morons like you have been killing people.
                What a trollish comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  What a trollish comment.
                  Don’t pretend to be offended by trolls when you defend the troll in chief.

Comment

I'm not offended because he wasn't talking to me. He just wasn't adding anything to the conversation.

Calling someone a "moron" and then running away is a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                      Well for starters, you didn't tell the truth.

Masks are effective, and especially so given that the infected often don't know they're infected.

Considering that you wont necessarily know when you're super-contagious, wearing one is just smart. There's no good reason to not wear one, and especially so since they're primarily to protect the other people around you. Some of those people have weakened or compromised immune systems, or have family members with the same problem - and you'll be helping them keep their loved ones safe.

Just wear one, because it's the right thing to do. It's good to be concerned about the health and welfare of others.

I don't mean to be a ****, but an atheist shouldn't have to be telling a Christian these things.
                      Well. It is not that atheists never have something useful to say.

I was awaiting some reason why it is useful to wear one. You are just throwing hypothetical points without substantiation. If you have good evidence of what you say, you can present it here. I have shown the Dallas County data from last month which showed there were no changes of number of deaths when quarantined, when wearing of masks or of gatherings for Memorial day. If there is evidence that masks changed anything, you are welcome to share that. Is there any evidence showing that masks worn at the beach make any difference? I showed where being outdoors leaves you in a much safer environment from viruses.

I am fine following the best evidence. The best evidence so far is that masks cause more harm than benefit for you or anyone else around you. But if I do brain surgery on you, I will wear a mask. However, you already have given up sensibility by letting me operate on your gray matter.
                      Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-08-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

FWIW...

Ronson and I know each other from a different forum. He and I disagree more often than not, but we've agreed often enough that I take care to not lump him in with the right-wing. It's true that he'll defend the president, implicitly and explicitly, but he's not necessarily a supporter. Unlike a moderator or two here, he'll actually criticize Trump from time to time, and do it without having to be "forced" (rhetorically) to. If he's on the right side of the fence, he's not buried in the weeds.

I mention this FYI only; you can certainly form your own opinions about Ronson, sans input from me.

Comment

Stop pretending you’re not an anti-mask snowflake.
                          So you couldn't figure it out. What I figured.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            I'm not offended because he wasn't talking to me. He just wasn't adding anything to the conversation.

Calling someone a "moron" and then running away is a troll.

My apologies. I pegged you wrong.

Comment

I was awaiting some reason why it is useful to wear one. You are just throwing hypothetical points without substantiation.
                              I've provided just as much substantiation as you have, and assumed you could go looking for futher details if you cared to.

If you have good evidence of what you say, you can present it here.
                              It's a complete waste of my time to do so. It's been presented so often and in such detail that anyone who claims not to have seen it isn't interested in seeing it. I know you've been polite here in this post, and I apologize if I sound insulting, but I literally can't find a kind way to characterize people who refuse to look for information with an open mind.

This isn't a debate. Masks work.

The best evidence so far is that masks cause more harm than benefit for you or anyone else around you.
                              That is false. The evidence you're referring to is fringe-at-best, and is dwarfed by the mountains of evidence in the other direction. Masks are effective, and they are generally safe to wear except in the most extreme situations.

Comment

The federal government nor the state governments can mandate the wearing of masks. There is no safety benefit to either wearer or other people unless you are actually sick and coughing or sneezing. (However, this theory may have been debunked too by tests done -- where people with flu were breathing into healthy people and various other efforts to spread a virus. But I'm not sure of all the details on what was tested.) Anyhow, former Judge Andrew Policano pointed out that states don't have a right to do this, except on state property. (State property does not really include public right of ways -- these are open to conventional means of travel.) The basic aspect where the state can get involved is if you have already harmed someone without recompense to them for that harm. The state can intervene to stop you from continuing in such harm to others.
                                Policano did say the state could quarantine people who are sick with a communicable disease, but the state could not legally make people wear masks.

Worse yet,all the states and even other countries are requiring face masks as the coronavirus season is coming to an end. This is like mandating umbrellas just when the dry summer winds are occurring.
                                I've been wearing masks lately because I have to in my line of work, and now I have gotten used to wearing them so it's almost habit.

Are they effective? Obviously they are if the wearer is infected, and is prone to coughing or sneezing. But I honestly believe more viruses (virii) are transferred via surfaces than through the air. My wife washes her hands constantly and rarely ever gets sick. I am trying to emulate her since I have a "dry eye" condition that causes me to rub my eyes often. And I get sick far more often.

Should they be mandated? That depends. If a business requires a person to wear a mask to do business there, that is a reasonable right. The same goes for government buildings. Should a dictator (local or federal) mandate that all people wear masks whenever they step outside? No freaking way! That is tyranny. And that is what Joe Biden has suggested.

Comment