Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can't Mandate Masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Mandate Masks

The federal government nor the state governments can mandate the wearing of masks. There is no safety benefit to either wearer or other people unless you are actually sick and coughing or sneezing. (However, this theory may have been debunked too by tests done -- where people with flu were breathing into healthy people and various other efforts to spread a virus. But I'm not sure of all the details on what was tested.) Anyhow, former Judge Andrew Policano pointed out that states don't have a right to do this, except on state property. (State property does not really include public right of ways -- these are open to conventional means of travel.) The basic aspect where the state can get involved is if you have already harmed someone without recompense to them for that harm. The state can intervene to stop you from continuing in such harm to others.
    Policano did say the state could quarantine people who are sick with a communicable disease, but the state could not legally make people wear masks.

We should not wear masks due to the scare factor caused upon people by the idea that we all are sick. Also, the unnecessary (and improper) use of masks can decrease oxygenation of our blood and increase carbon dioxide levels.

Our sheriff has, at least initially, refused to enforce the guideline to wear masks.
    https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...g-enforcement/

Source: https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/07/06/gov-newsom-oc-sheriff-clash-over-face-covering-enforcement

SANTA ANA (CBSLA) — A war of words between Gov. Gavin Newsom and Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes over enforcement of statewide mandates to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus could end up costing the county hundreds of millions of dollars in state funding.

People gather at the beach on July 03 in Huntington Beach. (Photo by Michael Heiman/Getty Images)

“We have made contingent, specifically, $2.5 billion in the budget that we will make contingent upon performance,” Newsom said. “If they’re simply unwilling to do it, then we will redirect those dollars to communities that are.”

But O.C. Supervisor Don Wagner said the governor was micromanaging counties.

“I find it thoroughly unfair. I find it very frustrating,” he said. “At this point, I don’t know what he wants.”

And Barnes has pushed back on enforcing local and statewide health orders. After face coverings became mandatory in Orange County, Barnes said his deputies were not “mask police.”

And in a statement last week, Barnes said the department needed to be practical in its enforcement efforts.

“With limited exceptions, not wearing a face covering is a violation of the public health order, but it is not a practical application of a criminal law violation,” the statement said.

Barnes said he hoped for voluntary compliance.

“It’s challenging because in many counties the sheriff is an independently elected official, so they can set their own tone and how they run their departments,” O.C. Supervisor Lisa Bartlett said. “We all need to work collaboratively together so we don’t lose funding.”

© Copyright Original Source

Worse yet,all the states and even other countries are requiring face masks as the coronavirus season is coming to an end. This is like mandating umbrellas just when the dry summer winds are occurring.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-08-2020, 01:08 AM.

Morons like you have been killing people.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

The fact is, your chances of catching the China flu through casual public interaction is negligible at the very worst, and the way the overwhelming majority of the public is using masks isn't doing them a bit of good anyway.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        The federal government nor the state governments cannot mandate the wearing of masks.
        They can, and they have. There are no lawsuits pending for supposed violations these governments have made.

You're wrong.

There is no safety benefit to either wearer or other people unless you are actually sick and coughing or sneezing.
        And since people frequently don't know when they're infected, masks are one of the most effective ways to limit the spread of the virus.

You're wrong again.

I stopped read here, sorry.
        Last edited by Whateverman; 07-08-2020, 07:02 AM. Reason: red text added to quote, to correct the typo

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The fact is, your chances of catching the China flu through casual public interaction is negligible at the very worst, and the way the overwhelming majority of the public is using masks isn't doing them a bit of good anyway.
          “Some people don’t brush their teeth properly, so let’s not brush our teeth”

Comment

The federal government nor the state governments can mandate the wearing of masks. There is no safety benefit to either wearer or other people unless you are actually sick and coughing or sneezing. (However, this theory may have been debunked too by tests done -- where people with flu were breathing into healthy people and various other efforts to spread a virus. But I'm not sure of all the details on what was tested.) Anyhow, former Judge Andrew Policano pointed out that states don't have a right to do this, except on state property. (State property does not really include public right of ways -- these are open to conventional means of travel.) The basic aspect where the state can get involved is if you have already harmed someone without recompense to them for that harm. The state can intervene to stop you from continuing in such harm to others.
            Policano did say the state could quarantine people who are sick with a communicable disease, but the state could not legally make people wear masks.

We should not wear masks due to the scare factor caused upon people by the idea that we all are sick. Also, the unnecessary (and improper) use of masks can decrease oxygenation of our blood and increase carbon dioxide levels.

Our sheriff has, at least initially, refused to enforce the guideline to wear masks.
            https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...g-enforcement/

Source: https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/07/06/gov-newsom-oc-sheriff-clash-over-face-covering-enforcement

SANTA ANA (CBSLA) — A war of words between Gov. Gavin Newsom and Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes over enforcement of statewide mandates to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus could end up costing the county hundreds of millions of dollars in state funding.

People gather at the beach on July 03 in Huntington Beach. (Photo by Michael Heiman/Getty Images)

“We have made contingent, specifically, $2.5 billion in the budget that we will make contingent upon performance,” Newsom said. “If they’re simply unwilling to do it, then we will redirect those dollars to communities that are.”

But O.C. Supervisor Don Wagner said the governor was micromanaging counties.

“I find it thoroughly unfair. I find it very frustrating,” he said. “At this point, I don’t know what he wants.”

And Barnes has pushed back on enforcing local and statewide health orders. After face coverings became mandatory in Orange County, Barnes said his deputies were not “mask police.”

And in a statement last week, Barnes said the department needed to be practical in its enforcement efforts.

“With limited exceptions, not wearing a face covering is a violation of the public health order, but it is not a practical application of a criminal law violation,” the statement said.

Barnes said he hoped for voluntary compliance.

“It’s challenging because in many counties the sheriff is an independently elected official, so they can set their own tone and how they run their departments,” O.C. Supervisor Lisa Bartlett said. “We all need to work collaboratively together so we don’t lose funding.”

© Copyright Original Source

Worse yet,all the states and even other countries are requiring face masks as the coronavirus season is coming to an end. This is like mandating umbrellas just when the dry summer winds are occurring.
            Why anyone would refer to masks as a kind of stigma is beyond me. It is a courtesy to catch your cough and sneeze spray in a time of pandemic.

Here’s Mitch McConnell, at long last, saying how effective mask wearing is relative to how effortless it is:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ing-face-masks

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
              They can, and they have. There are no lawsuits pending for supposed violations these governments have made.

You're wrong.

And since people frequently don't know when they're infected, masks are one of the most effective ways to limit the spread of the virus.

You're wrong again.

I stopped read here, sorry.
              Thankfully more conservatives are finally coming around to advocating mask use, realizing how wimpy they sounded decrying the “discomfort and shame” of wearing a mask.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                Thankfully more conservatives are finally coming around to advocating mask use, realizing how wimpy they sounded decrying the “discomfort and shame” of wearing a mask.
                I really don't actually know what's causing the change; I doubt it has anything to do with a reassessment of their vanity.

I suspect it's the fact that the problem is so big, they're forced to admit it exists. Given a better control of the media, they'd probably continue doing what they've been doing for the last 4-5 years...

Comment

I'm sorry. I guess you folks know more about the law than Judge Policano.

Everything I have seen about the masks shows them as useless ... or rather as harmful. So If you want to follow policitians instead of doctors and legal experts, have fun. Get sick. Look silly. Harm your kids. Stop children from going to school. Well, actually, the children might become smarter if they are taught at home instead.

Comment

I'm sorry. I guess you folks know more about the law than Judge Policano.

Everything I have seen about the masks shows them as useless ... or rather as harmful. So If you want to follow policitians instead of doctors and legal experts, have fun. Get sick. Look silly. Harm your kids. Stop children from going to school. Well, actually, the children might become smarter if they are taught at home instead.
                    “Look silly.”

Vanity is more important than reducing transmission of this virus. I’m shocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Morons like you have been killing people.
                      How am I a seen as a moron for telling you the truth? If I were super contagious with a disease and had evidence that wearing a mask would help other people, I could consider wearing one. Apart from this, it is silly to wear a mask -- but some people really should wear one anyhow, as a public service.

How are you convinced that wearing a mask is legal and helpful?

Comment

“Look silly.”

Vanity is more important than reducing transmission of this virus. I’m shocked.
                        Is that the extent of your legal and scientific evidence for this discussion?

Comment

Is that the extent of your legal and scientific evidence for this discussion?
                          You nullify your scientific case by dismissing the reality that the disease can be spread by infected people showing no symptoms. This morning I sneezed twice on the way to the grocery store without being sick. My wife has had a chronic cough for years. You outright dismiss the idea that normal healthy people still sneeze and cough, which is ludicrous.

Why do you even care about vanity? That’s just weird given the data showing masks’ effectiveness in lowering transmission.

You can’t really speak solemnly about sacrifice while being a snowflake about how a simple piece of cloth makes you look silly.

Comment

You nullify your scientific case by dismissing the reality that the disease can be spread by infected people showing no symptoms. This morning I sneezed twice on the way to the grocery store without being sick. My wife has had a chronic cough for years. You outright dismiss the idea that normal healthy people still sneeze and cough, which is ludicrous.

Why do you even care about vanity? That’s just weird given the data showing masks’ effectiveness in lowering transmission.

You can’t really speak solemnly about sacrifice while being a snowflake about how a simple piece of cloth makes you look silly.
                            If you would like to provide any evidence of what you say, that would be helpful. I am saying the mask is silly because it helps no one and makes most people look silly. The silliness is more about the superstition behind wearing one in public. ) Some people may look better with a mask. If the barn needs painting, then paint it.

If you actually feel safer with a mask, then wear one. And just hang around people that wear them.

Comment

If you would like to provide any evidence of what you say, that would be helpful. I am saying the mask is silly because it helps no one and makes most people look silly. Some people may look better with a mask. If the barn needs painting, then paint it.

If you actually feel safer with a mask, then wear one. And just hang around people that wear them.
                              You haven’t provided any evidence that masks “help no one” but sufficient evidence that a mask would interfere with the precious topology of your face.

Comment