Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Letter on Justice and Open Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    You do realize the letter is currently being crushed on the left to the point where some signatories are being pressured to retract it, right? It's widely being interpreted as anti-transgender in intention.
    Yes many of them are retracting - the very principles they were calling for they refuse to standby(gutless). And what is the anti-transgender thing?

Of Course: Signatories Of Harpers Letter Criticizing Cancel Culture Begin To Cancel Themselves

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...-begin-cancel/

Last edited by seer; 07-09-2020, 11:14 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It's like watching a boxer landing one devastating blow after another to his own face.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You do realize the letter is currently being crushed on the left to the point where some signatories are being pressured to retract it, right? It's widely being interpreted as anti-transgender in intention.
        Can you provide a reference for this?

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
          Can you provide a reference for this?

Thanks in advance...
          https://www.thewrap.com/some-public-...ancel-culture/

https://thehill.com/changing-america...cancel-culture
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Some realize that they are now stuck riding this tiger and the moment they get off it will consume them. After all, many of the most prominent victims have been other liberals getting called out for their past hypocrisy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Some realize that they are now stuck riding this tiger and the moment they get off it will consume them. After all, many of the most prominent victims have been other liberals getting called out for their past hypocrisy.
              The liberals have no immunity against the radical left in their party. That is why the radical left now owns the Democrat party.

Comment

Ok. Both articles leave me more confused than anything, but regardless, thanks for posting them.

I don't think either supports KingsGambit's post, but only in terms of strength; the Harper's letter is obviously more controversial than I originally thought.

Comment

...the Harper's letter is obviously more controversial than I originally thought.
                  But ask yourself - why should it be controversial? When you answer that we will gladly welcome you to the dark side....

Comment

Ok. Both articles leave me more confused than anything, but regardless, thanks for posting them.

I don't think either supports KingsGambit's post, but only in terms of strength; the Harper's letter is obviously more controversial than I originally thought.
                    This article was what I woke up to this morning:

https://www.themarysue.com/harpers-m...-dog-whistles/

The Daily Beast also has a paywalled article accusing the letter of transphobia. As best as I can tell, it's largely a Pavlovian reaction to JK Rowling having signed the letter.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      The letter has already been published.

However, the same degree of intolerant fanaticism may also be found among many within Christianity.

We read about or see the same desire to suppress, ban, or censure any opinions or behaviours that are perceived as an affront to Christian living or that are in opposition to the "correct" Christian views held, or espoused by, various Christian groups and/or their leaders.
                      If you mean that there is an abiding attempt to promote morality, Christian organizations may be promoting morality. If you mean that Christians are controlling the main avenues of discussion (mass media, Google, Youtube, twitter), this does not sound plausible.

Christian universities and seminaries may require adherence to confessions in order to make sure that professors are not teaching another religion, but this is often due to lack of desire, for example, to promote an atheist conception of Christian religion.

Maybe you can be more specific of the free speech access that the co-signers of this letter have had trouble with.

Comment

I can see why it is being crushed. Elites always tell the little people what to do and think. In this case maybe the little people will try to cancel these strongly worded letter elites.

I bet every leftist tribe finds something against them in there. They are very touchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
                          I can see why it is being crushed. Elites always tell the little people what to do and think. In this case maybe the little people will try to cancel these strongly worded letter elites.

I bet every leftist tribe finds something against them in there. They are very touchy.
                          What specific portions of the letter do you object to? The pushback I am referring to comes from liberal elites.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

it is interesting hearing the responses to this reconciliatory request

Comment

What specific portions of the letter do you object to? The pushback I am referring to comes from liberal elites.
                              The whole premise for the letter is just bypassed as a normal state of affairs in leftist circles, is a start. Even I know that there is no appeasement or rationality with these self affirmed marxists. The letter proponents will find that out, right?

In the first paragraph, the admission that Trump "represents a real threat to democracy", makes taking Trump out by any means necessary seems to be reasonable, right? After all, when you arrive at dealing with an existential threat, there is little time for nicely crafted arguments, the time for talk has passed, the time for action has arrived. There are no cool heads in a hotbed of hotheads.

But truly, the halls of academia trying to stem the tide of their own creation seems fitting to me. The left will just eat these people.

All that being said, they do attempt to act a little like a peacemaker. Whether for their own self preservation against the mob, or for altruistic motivation does not matter, the results will be the same. I even read a headline this morning saying the signatories are now eating each other. Not very optimistic on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
                                The whole premise for the letter is just bypassed as a normal state of affairs in leftist circles, is a start. Even I know that there is no appeasement or rationality with these self affirmed marxists. The letter proponents will find that out, right?

In the first paragraph, the admission that Trump "represents a real threat to democracy", makes taking Trump out by any means necessary seems to be reasonable, right? After all, when you arrive at dealing with an existential threat, there is little time for nicely crafted arguments, the time for talk has passed, the time for action has arrived. There are no cool heads in a hotbed of hotheads.

But truly, the halls of academia trying to stem the tide of their own creation seems fitting to me. The left will just eat these people.

All that being said, they do attempt to act a little like a peacemaker. Whether for their own self preservation against the mob, or for altruistic motivation does not matter, the results will be the same. I even read a headline this morning saying the signatories are now eating each other. Not very optimistic on my part.
                                I don't know how many of the signers are hard left. From somewhat following the transgender debates, I know what Rowlings as said and I think she has some valid points. No surprise that the signers are turning on each other. Is it just me or does being popular matter more to the left than standing up for a principal?

They unleashed the mob and now they can't control it. Eventually the mob will run out of stream or enough people will stand up to it. Until then, a lot of people's lives are going to be ruined.
                                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment