Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS and Trump's Financial Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTUS and Trump's Financial Records

Apparently, Presidents CAN be subpoenaed, but pending cases need to be bounced back to lower courts because they didn't proceed properly.

Decisions are bounced back.

scotus.jpg
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-09-2020, 09:33 AM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Supreme Court rejects Trump argument on shielding tax returns

However, the justices divided on how much deference the courts should show to the president and they ordered further proceedings in lower courts.

The Supreme Court has unanimously rejected President Donald Trump’s arguments that he is immune from efforts by a New York grand jury to demand his tax returns and other details about his finances.

However, the justices divided on how much deference the courts should show to the president and they ordered further proceedings in lower courts, leaving it unclear when and if a local prosecutor in Manhattan will obtain the records.

Chief Justice John Roberts joined the court’s four Democratic appointees in a majority opinion that said prosecutors will not be required to show a “heightened need” to get the records. However, Trump will now be able to make other legal arguments that the records are legally privileged.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yup. This is both a victory and a loss for Trump.

Victory in the sense that it's likely prosecutors and the public will not see his tax returns prior to the 2020 election.

Loss in the sense that he could eventually be prosecuted.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

Victory in the sense that it's likely prosecutors and the public will not see his tax returns prior to the 2020 election.

And it places this issue back as a political football for the campaigns.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

That actually is a victory in the political sense.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Will be interesting to see what is in them. Might be nothing at all.

Comment

It guarantees that Trump is arrested one minute after noon, January 20th. Of course, he will probably have fled the country by then.

It is tragic that Congress wasn't given the information clearly under their purview, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                Will be interesting to see what is in them. Might be nothing at all.
                They played a "back in the day" recording of the democrats bemoaning the notion that Trump has inflated his net worth to be on Forbe's list, deflates his wealthy for IRS purposes.

And I'm thinking, "What smart CEO does NOT do that?"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  They played a "back in the day" recording of the democrats bemoaning the notion that Trump has inflated his net worth to be on Forbe's list, deflates his wealthy for IRS purposes.

And I'm thinking, "What smart CEO does NOT do that?"
                  Do you enjoy paying higher taxes so "smart CEOs" can do that? I certainly don't.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                    Do you enjoy paying higher taxes so "smart CEOs" can do that? I certainly don't.
                    Wow. You really need to chill, little angry man. I stated a fact, there is NOTHING in there to indicate my attitude toward paying my taxes.

Comment

Wow. You really need to chill, little angry man. I stated a fact, there is NOTHING in there to indicate my attitude toward paying my taxes.
                      I'll chill :). But first I'll point out that you literally stated an opinion, not a fact.

Comment

I'll chill :).
                        No you won't.

But first I'll point out that you literally stated an opinion, not a fact.
                        OK, it's an opinion that anybody with half a brain would not dispute. Why do you think big corporations have so many lawyers and accountants?

But it in NO way indicates my feelings on the matter.

Comment

No you won't.

OK, it's an opinion that anybody with half a brain would not dispute. Why do you think big corporations have so many lawyers and accountants?

But it in NO way indicates my feelings on the matter.
                          "SMART" is the word you used. As in, you're a fool if you don't cheat on your taxes. I'd use the word "crooked" to describe such CEOs.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with these rulings. With any luck the Democrats will finally start playing hardball and hit Trump with an indictment in October. Will they finally be the ones to play the Republican game? We'll have to see.

Comment

"SMART" is the word you used.
                            Absoutely, but you're about to crash....

As in, you're a fool if you don't cheat on your taxes.
                            No - nothing like that at all. Use EVERY legal means available to pay the minimum amount of tax - is not cheating. I do the very same thing with a clean conscience.

I'd use the word "crooked" to describe such CEOs.
                            Yes, you seem to be quite liberal (get it?) and tossing around prejudiced accusations.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with these rulings. With any luck the Democrats will finally start playing hardball and hit Trump with an indictment in October. Will they finally be the ones to play the Republican game? We'll have to see.
                            You can only hope.

Comment

No - nothing like that at all. Use EVERY legal means available to pay the minimum amount of tax - is not cheating. I do the very same thing with a clean conscience.
                              The "deflating" Trump has used on his wealth often crosses the line of legality. If you were only referring to tax minimization rather than tax avoidance he wasn't the best choice of example.

Yes, you seem to be quite liberal (get it?) and tossing around prejudiced accusations.
                              The CEOs (I thought) you were describing are literal crooks so I feel fine.

You can only hope.
                              And you don't hope that, if a crime is proved to the grand jury, that justice is delivered both timely and in a manner which ensures no second term for Trump?

Comment