Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS and Trump's Financial Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Apparently, Presidents CAN be subpoenaed, but pending cases need to be bounced back to lower courts because they didn't proceed properly.

Decisions are bounced back.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46410[/ATTACH]
    The claim that a president has complete immunity was a bit of a head scratcher but this means that nobody will be seeing Trump's tax records until after the election at the very earliest. That it is being kicked back down like this also generally means that the defendant can amend his claim. IOW, Trump's lawyers can file a less sweeping argument that stands a much better chance of being upheld.

In any case, since the Democrats won't be able to use anything they find and grossly misrepresent in the 2020 election I wonder how many will now lose interest. One who'll never let go is Adam "Shifty" Schiff who has earlier proclaimed that Trump's tax records will show payoffs from Putin -- likely employing dummy foundations.

You know, pretty much exactly what the Clintons did for years.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Will be interesting to see what is in them. Might be nothing at all.
      A distinct possibility.

A few years ago MSNBC's Rachel Maddow scored a big coup getting hold of his tax returns for a couple years and made much to do with it.

The only problem was that not only was there nothing illegal or even scandalous contained in them but IIRC they showed that if anything Trump might have overpaid his taxes.

It was yet another in a long string of major bombshells that were a dud.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's not the finances of a billionaire who became a politician that concern me, it's all the politicians who somehow became multi-millionaires while earning a relatively modest salary that we should be taking a closer look at. We know how Trump made his money. How did they make theirs?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          The "deflating" Trump has used on his wealth often crosses the line of legality. If you were only referring to tax minimization rather than tax avoidance he wasn't the best choice of example.
          You need to dial down your assumption engine.

The CEOs (I thought) you were describing are literal crooks so I feel fine.
          Well, you indicted yourself as a "bold faced liar", so...

And you don't hope that, if a crime is proved to the grand jury, that justice is delivered both timely and in a manner which ensures no second term for Trump?
          You really need to stop with these nutty birbrained phony arguments. You're competing with JimL for saying stupid things.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Joe Biden is renting a lavish, multi-million dollar mansion in the Washington, D.C. suburbs as he seeks the 2020 Democrat presidential nomination.

Biden, who pitches himself as “Middle Class Joe” on the campaign trail, has resided in a 11,750 square foot Georgian-style mansion since departing the vice presidency, according to the Washington Post.

The house, which used to belong to the late Secretary of State Alexander Haig, is located on the Gold Coast of McLean, Virginia, overlooking the Potomac River. It was purchased for $4.25 million in June 2016 by Mark Ein, a venture capitalist and owner of the Washington Kastles tennis team.

It is unclear how much Biden pays in rent. Estimates from Zillow indicate it is likely $20,000 a month—provided Ein is charging the fair market rate. Biden rents the property, despite owning two houses in his home state of Delaware, including a recently purchased $2.7 million vacation home on the Atlantic Ocean.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...month-mansion/

Not bad for a guy who has spent almost his entire career earning a Senator's paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Joe Biden is renting a lavish, multi-million dollar mansion in the Washington, D.C. suburbs as he seeks the 2020 Democrat presidential nomination.

Biden, who pitches himself as “Middle Class Joe” on the campaign trail, has resided in a 11,750 square foot Georgian-style mansion since departing the vice presidency, according to the Washington Post.

The house, which used to belong to the late Secretary of State Alexander Haig, is located on the Gold Coast of McLean, Virginia, overlooking the Potomac River. It was purchased for $4.25 million in June 2016 by Mark Ein, a venture capitalist and owner of the Washington Kastles tennis team.

It is unclear how much Biden pays in rent. Estimates from Zillow indicate it is likely $20,000 a month—provided Ein is charging the fair market rate. Biden rents the property, despite owning two houses in his home state of Delaware, including a recently purchased $2.7 million vacation home on the Atlantic Ocean.

Not bad for a guy who has spent almost his entire career earning a Senator's paycheck.
              But he just lives in the basement, maybe.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Per Wikipedia

In June 2017 the couple bought a $2.7 million, off-the-water vacation home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware near Cape Henlopen State Park, where they planned to host members of their extended family.[71][72] Their ability to purchase this family property was due in part to deals they signed with Flatiron Books upon leaving office, with Biden contracted to write one and her husband two. Indeed, by 2019 the couple reported some $15 million in income since leaving the vice presidency, including $700,000 in speaking engagements for her. The couple also substantially increased their charitable giving during this period.

Sounds like they made out pretty well *after* Biden left as VP, exactly as you'd expect a well liked former VP to do (don't @ me. Lindsey Graham practically said he'd take a bullet for him).

So MM, put your money where your mouth is... Let's go through the last, say, 10 years (or however many you want) of the Bidens' tax returns and see how swampy it gets if you're so convinced about this. Or any of you RWNJs.

accuse-1.jpg
                Last edited by DivineOb; 07-09-2020, 10:21 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46439[/ATTACH]
                  This is likely a false quote. I was curious about where he said this, so I tried looking online. While I certainly found a bunch of people wondering where the source for this quote was, I could not find anyone giving any actual source for it.

"The problem with many quotes you see on the Internet is that they're simply not true." -Abraham Lincoln
                  Last edited by Terraceth; 07-10-2020, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    This is likely a false quote. I was curious about where he said this, so I tried looking online. While I certainly found a bunch of people wondering where the source for this quote was, I could not find anyone giving any actual source for it.

"The problem with many quotes you see on the Internet is that they're simply not true." -Abraham Lincoln
                    It's most often attributed to Saul Alinsky in his book "Rules For Radicals" which is basically the handbook for the Democrat party.

Comment

The quote may be misattributed but it still accurately describes Goebbels' and Trump's propaganda techniques. The goal is to destroy the concept of truth by "flooding the channel with [Trump's gray matter]."

Regardless, is MM willing to dive into Biden's tax returns and figure out how swampy it gets? If he's not worried he's violating the 9th commandment, of course.

For those among us who want to raise an issue with my mentioning the 9th commandment: MM is implying that Biden gained his wealth through immoral means. That is a factual statement which can be resolved by looking at Biden's tax returns. To continue spreading this claim when the means to dispel or confirm it is readily at hand is possibly bearing false witness.
                      Last edited by DivineOb; 07-10-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Wikiquote has it listed as misattributed

• Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty

[*The above includes the hyperlinks as well as misspelling of Nuremberg*]

Here is the speech Goebbels made at Nuremberg in 1934 from Calvin University's "German Propaganda Archive" and mentioned as the possible "source" for the misquote.

The saying has been also attributed to Marx, Lenin and Hitler as well, while an essay in The Routledge Handbook of the Political Economy of Science claims it is a concept introduced by the New Right.

Comment

Shockingly MM appears unwilling to actually look at the publicly available Biden tax records to determine the propriety of his income post 2016. Will it stop him from smearing Biden? As sure Jesus rose from the dead he won't stop.

inhuman.jpg
                          Last edited by DivineOb; 07-12-2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

It's most often attributed to Saul Alinsky in his book "Rules For Radicals" which is basically the handbook for the Democrat party.
                            Most often attributed to Saul Alinsky by whom, Breitbart? It's actually most often attributed to Goebbels and other far right fascists, and is still employed as a strategy by many of those in todays GOP along with their media propagandists. Hey, lying is an effective strategy for the unprincipled fascist against a dumbed down public. Just ask Trump.

Comment

Rick Wilson with a fun article on the subject. (Contains blue language so here's a google search with the article as the #1 hit).

The most telling revelation I ever received about Donald Trump was from a New York hedge-fund bro for whom I did some occasional speechwriting. In late summer 2015, I went to him and said, “We have to stop this guy. He’s a billionaire. He could fund his own campaign.” The hedge bro looked at me and laughed: “Trump’s not a billionaire. I’m a billionaire. Trump is a clown, living on credit.”

I was reminded of that by Trump’s Twitter meltdown—a hissy-fit, foot-stomping ragefest against the Supreme Court—after winning a major portion of one case over his mysterious tax returns.

He understands that when his taxes are unraveled before a New York grand jury and the inner workings of his multifarious business schemes are brought into the light of day, the picture won’t be of a successful multibillionaire mogul turned president, but one of that clown, living on credit, a third-rate real-estate developer with a first-rate talent for fleecing banks and vendors.
                              Last edited by DivineOb; 07-12-2020, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Rick Wilson with a fun article on the subject. (Contains blue language so here's a google search with the article as the #1 hit).

The most telling revelation I ever received about Donald Trump was from a New York hedge-fund bro for whom I did some occasional speechwriting. In late summer 2015, I went to him and said, “We have to stop this guy. He’s a billionaire. He could fund his own campaign.” The hedge bro looked at me and laughed: “Trump’s not a billionaire. I’m a billionaire. Trump is a clown, living on credit.”

I was reminded of that by Trump’s Twitter meltdown—a hissy-fit, foot-stomping ragefest against the Supreme Court—after winning a major portion of one case over his mysterious tax returns.

He understands that when his taxes are unraveled before a New York grand jury and the inner workings of his multifarious business schemes are brought into the light of day, the picture won’t be of a successful multibillionaire mogul turned president, but one of that clown, living on credit, a third-rate real-estate developer with a first-rate talent for fleecing banks and vendors.
                                The sad part is that regardless of what it shows, Trump will tell his base that it shows a successful multi billionaire and anything that doesn’t support that is fake news.

And they will believe him.

Comment