Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Interrupting Whiteness...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    It doesn't, everyone has prejudice, but have white people in this country been oppressed and discriminated against for century's?
    Again Jim what does my skin color have to do with whether I'm racist or not? Be specific.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Again Jim what does my skin color have to do with whether I'm racist or not? Be specific.
      I just said that it doesn't, necessarily. But you are prejudiced, and racism against blacks still exists. Are you in denial of that?

Comment

But then it wouldn't make sense though, would it seer?
        So you admit that what is happening in the OP makes no sense.

Comment

It doesn't, everyone has prejudice, but have white people in this country been oppressed and discriminated against for century's?
          The Irish, I'm part Irish when should I expect an apology from you for the oppression and discrimination against my ancestors.

Comment

I just said that it doesn't, necessarily. But you are prejudiced, and racism against blacks still exists. Are you in denial of that?
            Of course there are racists, but that is not what they are talking about - that whites are to affirm our complicity in racism. And are you prejudice against blacks?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Hate speech!

‘White Lives Matter’ Mural Painted in the California Streets Sparks Police Investigation

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/white-...investigation/

Comment

Hate speech!

‘White Lives Matter’ Mural Painted in the California Streets Sparks Police Investigation

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/white-...investigation/
                They wouldn't even have had to go that far. All they had to do was paint "All Lives Matter" to get the very same reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  They wouldn't even have had to go that far. All they had to do was paint "All Lives Matter" to get the very same reaction.
                  Blatant double standard...

Comment

Blatant double standard...
                    The only standard that the left possesses

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Of course there are racists, but that is not what they are talking about - that whites are to affirm our complicity in racism. And are you prejudice against blacks?
                      Complicit in racism/prejudice doesn't mean that you are consciously so. Are you aware of your inherent prejudices, because we all have them, sometimes for good reason, sometimes not. I don't believe they are being accusatory seer, they just want to bring it to peoples awareness. And instead of asking "well why was the invitation to just white people?" You can answer that for yourself.
                      Last edited by JimL; 07-13-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Complicit in racism/prejudice doesn't mean that you are consciously so. Are you aware of your inherent prejudices, because we all have them, sometimes for good reason, sometimes not. I don't believe they are being accusatory seer, they just want to bring it to peoples awareness. And instead of asking "well why was the invitation to just white people?" You can answer that for yourself.
                        Good grief Jim - it is a lot more than that - it is accusatory and racist, they are not judging us by our beliefs or behavior - but by our skin color. So again Jim are you prejudice against black people?

Comment

Good grief Jim - it is a lot more than that - it is accusatory and racist, they are not judging us by our beliefs or behavior - but by our skin color.
                          They are not judging, seer. It isn't about judging. It's about bringing into awareness ones possible unconscious biases.

So again Jim are you prejudice against black people?
                          It's a funny thing, I wasn't brought up that way, but being that I lived in a completely white suburban neighborhood race was never even brought up in my family. I had never met a black person until I was about 8 or 9 when all of a sudden there was one black kid in my elementary school." We hung out a little bit and when I look back at it I don't remember him having any other friends, and though I wasn't fully aware of it at the time I think I might have thought myself better than him, or that he was different, or that he didn't belong there or something, I'm not really sure what it was i felt at that time or how to define it because I wasn't fully conscious of what I felt then, but whatever it was, it was a bias. I think that there is something inherent about that kind of bias in all of us, but unless you become aware of it then you can't do anything about it. That I think is what the OP is all about, it's not about judging, it's about bringing ones unconscious biases to ones awareness so they can be dealt with.

Comment

They are not judging, seer. It isn't about judging. It's about bringing into awareness ones possible unconscious biases.
                            Of course it is about judging - we are to affirm our complicity in racism. This is a racist meme.

It's a funny thing, I wasn't brought up that way, but being that I lived in a completely white suburban neighborhood race was never even brought up in my family. I had never met a black person until I was about 8 or 9 when all of a sudden there was one black kid in my elementary school." We hung out a little bit and when I look back at it I don't remember him having any other friends, and though I wasn't fully aware of it at the time I think I might have thought myself better than him, or that he was different, or that he didn't belong there or something, I'm not really sure what it was i felt at that time or how to define it because I wasn't fully conscious of what I felt then, but whatever it was, it was a bias. I think that there is something inherent about that kind of bias in all of us, but unless you become aware of it then you can't do anything about it. That I think is what the OP is all about, it's not about judging, it's about bringing ones unconscious biases to ones awareness so they can be dealt with.
                            Well I grew up with black friends and I never felt superior, not only that I served with a lot of blacks in the Corps - they were outstanding Marines, most of whom had done 2-4 combat tours.

Comment

Simply untrue. The accusation of racism is a far cry from simple preference.

For example, preferring to marry someone from ones own race, which is what most people prefer, is not racist at all, it is a preference that crosses all racial bounds.

That was similar to my experience, though I became friends in high school with both the blacks in my school, co-captained with one of them.

None of my experiences led to racism, and I've always been conservative, weirdly.

So when I hear charges of racism towards me, I take it in the bad way. You people need to stop doing it, or I will never listen to what you say.

The "bias" today is to work your butt off and go get what you want. There are systematic whiners today, not systematic racism. No matter what, the answer to this issue you agree the country has, will end up being to work your butt off to get what you want. It's the only way to prove ones content of character.

BTW, Richard, the one who was my team mate, is now Dr. Richard. By this worlds standards, smarter and more successful than me.

Comment