Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

If/when Biden is elected...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he would have done a poor job even back in his heyday, because he hasn't had a single unique identifiable idea that sets him apart. If nothing else, this country needs someone with some vision, and Biden has none.

The only suggestion that he came up (that I recall) was at the end of the Iraq War he thought the country should be carved up. He suggested smaller countries for Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurd autonomy. I doubt it would have worked out.

But anyway, this isn't his heyday. He's barely coherent, and seems more like a puppet for the DNC.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      ... he's going to do a poor job.

I say this because of the challenges this country currently faces. No president is going to be able to emerge with popular support nominating a ompetent from one or two terms of having to deal with the pandemic, crushing economic forced, racial injustice/protests, and a virtually-deleted international reputation/credibility.
      Biden does not have to do much to do a better than Trump. Simply restore the dignity and integrity of the Office of President. Nominating a competent Vice President like Keisha Lance Bottoms Mayor of Atlanta will go along way to restoring the country, and would make an outstanding President. I do not care for Biden, but I am voting for the party, and not Biden, and against the extreme right wing dominated Republican Party.

He is a one term president.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-10-2020, 04:55 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Try reading the OP.

It's awesome how the moderators here are allowed to disrupt a civil thread without recourse.
        I have an idea. According to the rules, you have pretty wide latitude to set the terms of the thread in the OP.

How bout you just say something like "Do not post unless you agree with everything I say"?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Try reading the OP.

It's awesome how the moderators here are allowed to disrupt a civil thread without recourse.
          The OP is clear. You think Biden will do an awful job because he was left with awful circumstances from Trump. Is that not the gist of the OP?
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            The OP is clear. You think Biden will do an awful job because he was left with awful circumstances from Trump. Is that not the gist of the OP?
            I think it's one of them, "oooops, I really SAID that?"
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              Most of the turmoil in this country is economic-related, in spite of the fact it's manifesting as sociopolitical. Most people don't know that or just don't want to believe that fact, and instead want to believe that things will just go back to normal as long as the political landscape changes. This is what the right believed in 2016, and they were obviously wrong. I don't wish what is befalling on this country (and what is to come) on any future presidential candidate, even a democrat. But I also said this in 2016 and didn't for the life of me understand why Trump even wanted to do it. I'm just glad Rand Paul didn't win the primary, because I would have hated to see all this fall on his head much more so than Trump. But I'll hate to see what's to fall on the next cantidate even less if it's a democrat that wins.
              The thing that saddens me the most is that politics has devolved into rival teams in pro sports. Any success by the other side is cheating, they refuse to acknowledge when we win, etc. And both sides find the worst in the other and proclaim that to be the standard of the entire group.

I live in a deep red state. The end was always nigh when Obama was president, and Trump's victory was the thing the country needed. Now the democrats are following the same script. I think each side only cares about power, and will do whatever it takes to get and/or maintain it.

How can we fix any problems when both sides just want to claim superiority over the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                The thing that saddens me the most is that politics has devolved into rival teams in pro sports. Any success by the other side is cheating, they refuse to acknowledge when we win, etc. And both sides find the worst in the other and proclaim that to be the standard of the entire group.

I live in a deep red state. The end was always nigh when Obama was president, and Trump's victory was the thing the country needed. Now the democrats are following the same script. I think each side only cares about power, and will do whatever it takes to get and/or maintain it.

How can we fix any problems when both sides just want to claim superiority over the other?
                If only!!!

Comment

Thread zombie warning.

As the election gets closer, another thread reminded me of this one so I went to look for it.

Now we're nearer November, and the mess #45 is leaving is more clear, what do we think Bidens options would be- were he to win the presidency? I can't see him being able to get much done unless the Dems take the house and senate too as the repugs will obviously block anything and everything they can, and I'm not sure how the senate is looking based on predicted wins off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                    Thread zombie warning.

As the election gets closer, another thread reminded me of this one so I went to look for it.

Now we're nearer November, and the mess #45 is leaving is more clear, what do we think Bidens options would be- were he to win the presidency? I can't see him being able to get much done unless the Dems take the house and senate too as the repugs will obviously block anything and everything they can, and I'm not sure how the senate is looking based on predicted wins off the top of my head.

Biden will do exactly what he is supposed to do. Resign so Harris can take over as POTUS.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I agree that Joe will be a terrible president if he's elected (God forbid), but it's not Joe you need to worry about, it's whoever is pulling the senile old coot's strings. He will be nothing but a figurehead until the Democrats deem it politically acceptable to install Kamala Harris as president.
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-21-2020, 10:11 AM.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Thread zombie warning.

I think a lot of what the future hold depends - as you say - on the makeup of congress when Biden takes office.

I'm not sure a super-majority will be needed to get stuff done, though. It's possible for the Repugs to keep hold of the Senate, but ALSO to have taken a serious election drubbing. If McConnel is gone but the GOP have a slim Senate 51:49 majority, they might actually be more reasonable. They might actually consider trying to uphold traditional GOP values, and working with the other side to help get this done.

If the ONLY thing that changes is Biden winning the election, then I agree that not much is going to happen - other than the American voters getting angrier...

Comment

Thread zombie warning.

How's brexit and the political dysfunction in your country doing?

Comment

I say this because of the challenges this country currently faces. No president is going to be able to emerge with popular support from one or two terms of having to deal with the pandemic, crushing economic forced, racial injustice/protests, and a virtually-deleted international reputation/credibility.

If Trump wants to avoid getting lynched, he'll lose this next election and quietly sink back into whatever obscurity he can muster (yes, I know that's against his character). Biden is going to be pummeled because of the pile of crap left-behind by #45.

And here, I'm not even counting the rank partisanship which is (dare I say) the real problem. Some Republicans are going to hate Biden no matter what he does, just as some Democrats hate Trump - but that's going to pale in comparison to the controversy Biden will face just working to get this country out from behind the eight-ball. I suspect that Biden will only last a single term (having nothing to do with the hysterical health/cognitive alarmism coming from the right side of the fence).
                            ​​​​​​If by Biden you mean Harris, I would agree she won't do a good job because of her incompetence.

The old man will be locked in the basement with boxes of masks. They will tell him he needs to test each one, for the good of America. He will dutifully comply as long as he is breathing, which may not be long.

You should just vote for Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

How's brexit and the political dysfunction in your country doing?
                              Incredibly badly, precisely as people like I predicted from the start. Hey, at least you guys can potentially fix things if you vote Trump out, my country is royally stuffed (again, precisely as predicted) for ages now, as even if we vote out this vile and mendacious government it'll be too late and we'd have still walked away from one of the best terms in the EU.

​​Why, did you expect me to defend my awful government and the route they've dragged my once proud country?

Comment

I think a lot of what the future hold depends - as you say - on the makeup of congress when Biden takes office.

I'm not sure a super-majority will be needed to get stuff done, though. It's possible for the Repugs to keep hold of the Senate, but ALSO to have taken a serious election drubbing. If McConnel is gone but the GOP have a slim Senate 51:49 majority, they might actually be more reasonable. They might actually consider trying to uphold traditional GOP values, and working with the other side to help get this done.

If the ONLY thing that changes is Biden winning the election, then I agree that not much is going to happen - other than the American voters getting angrier...
                                Yeah, and we're back to that discussion on the route to take if the republicans do decide to spend their time simply stonewalling everything put in front of them. The high or low road?

I do think it is important to shore up the loopholes Trump and the republicans have shown over the last 4 years so that they don't happen again under a more competent president.

Comment