Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump just decided he cares more about keeping Roger Stone quiet than winning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Might I ask exactly what it is that you are not at all comfortable with?
    Never mind - MM bailed me out. We're good!

Do you have specific quotes of anyone here supporting anarchists defending statue topplers?
    You, yourself, have been defending them all along, Jim. Is your memory that short?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      This is going to sound bogus but I really have to wonder about the methodology that site uses. Hear me out please.
      You know, you actually CAN be a decent guy on occasion.

Bottom line - you'd have to assume that the media evaluators are, themselves, unbiased. You'd really need to take an aggregate of several evaluators.

HOWEVER, the "headline" or your article SMACKS of tabloid 'journalism'.

Kinda reminds me of the supermarket tabloids in the rack near the checkout stands.... "Woman gives birth in choir - baby comes out singing Amazing Grace".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Never mind - MM bailed me out. We're good!
        I take it you're uncomfortable with Trump and his corrupt DOJ undermining the law in order to protect his friends and go after his enemies?
        You, yourself, have been defending them all along, Jim. Is your memory that short?
        No, but your memory apparently is that bad, CP. I have consistently argued that the treasonous statues should come down, but legally. But surely you could sympathize, even though illegal, with the descendents of holocaust victims tearing down a statue of Hitler in Germany or Stalin in Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          I take it you're uncomfortable with Trump and his corrupt DOJ undermining the law in order to protect his friends and go after his enemies?
          Nope - MM cleared it up.

No, but your memory apparently is that bad, CP.
          Wrong. I take that memory stuff every morning! You know, that... um... Gunky Babbola... Ginko Biblia... Whatever it's called! NOTHING wrong with my memory.

I have consistently argued that the treasonous statues should come down, but legally.

The "treasonous statues"!!!! Jimmy, you've been DEFENDING the "stature topplers".... I'll find you a couple of quotes.

But surely you could sympathize, even though illegal, with the descendents of holocaust victims tearing down a statue of Hitler in Germany or Stalin in Russia.
          Still laughing at "treasonous statues".

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I don't have a problem with putting PR as far left

but you immediately hand wave anything and everything to the right of Lenin as "RWNJs"
            I bet he'd follow Starlight in Calling Stalin far right.
            Last edited by RumTumTugger; 07-11-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Did you even look at the link, dumbass? I wasn't quoting Conservative Treehouse.
              I know. And you surely would have if they had some positive spin on this.

Comment

You know, you actually CAN be a decent guy on occasion.

Bottom line - you'd have to assume that the media evaluators are, themselves, unbiased. You'd really need to take an aggregate of several evaluators.

HOWEVER, the "headline" or your article SMACKS of tabloid 'journalism'.

Kinda reminds me of the supermarket tabloids in the rack near the checkout stands.... "Woman gives birth in choir - baby comes out singing Amazing Grace".
                So I want to say a couple of things

1) When I post something from NYT / WaPo / CNN whoever my source is going to be attacked anyway, Just look at the Russian bounties story where *zero* weight was given to the underlying credibility of the news organization (most of the initial reporting has been confirmed by "named sources" by now). So what's the point in only posting from MSM sources?

2) PR is not a news site. It is a political news blog. Every article is heavy on spin. But the facts they report are generally true and the analysis PR provides is very accurate. Look at this very article. It's true that Trump commuted Stone's sentence. And it's true that this move is going to hurt Trump politically and lend itself heavily to ads. It appears that Trump is giving up since he can't afford to lose a single additional voter so he obviously fears what Stone might say more than he fears losing the election. What's inaccurate in any of that?

Comment

So I want to say a couple of things
                  OK

1) When I post something from NYT / WaPo / CNN whoever my source is going to be attacked anyway, Just look at the Russian bounties story where *zero* weight was given to the underlying credibility of the news organization (most of the initial reporting has been confirmed by "named sources" by now). So what's the point in only posting from MSM sources?
                  I don't think it's fair to attack "the source" without cause - the headline was OBVIOUSLY very prejudiced, and slanted opinion, not journalism.
                  Even a "questionable site" can be used if they provide an actual video of somebody saying what they claim, or refer to a legitimate source - a link, a PDF, a transcript.

2) PR is not a news site. It is a political news blog. Every article is heavy on spin.
                  EGGzackly. Glad we agree on that.

But the facts they report are generally true and the analysis PR provides is very accurate. Look at this very article.
                  That's debatable.

It's true that Trump commuted Stone's sentence.
                  Apparently so.

And it's true that this move is going to hurt Trump politically and lend itself heavily to ads.
                  That's conjecture.

It appears that Trump is giving up since he can't afford to lose a single additional voter so he obviously fears what Stone might say more than he fears losing the election. What's inaccurate in any of that?
                  That's opinion.

Comment

That's conjecture.

That's opinion.
                    If you aren't convinced that this will hurt Trump politically I can understand why you wouldn't be sold that he fears Stone more than losing the election. I don't understand how this action is going to gain him a single vote but I can imagine any number of ways it can be spun to cost him votes.

Do you think this will actually gain Trump any votes? Doesn't most everyone know that Stone is a scumbag?

Comment

Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                      I know. And you surely would have if they had some positive spin on this.
                      You know what they say about making assumptions.
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-11-2020, 12:52 PM.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If you aren't convinced that this will hurt Trump politically I can understand why you wouldn't be sold that he fears Stone more than losing the election.
                        This is an incredibly weird election cycle -- You seem to put too much emphasis on individual actions or incidents that, in the long run, may not actually make much difference at all.

I don't understand how this action is going to gain him a single vote but I can imagine any number of ways it can be spun to cost him votes.
                        Your imagination is not fact.

Do you think this will actually gain Trump any votes?
                        Do you think that was his intent?

Doesn't most everyone know that Stone is a scumbag?
                        I can ask!

Comment

This is an incredibly weird election cycle -- You seem to put too much emphasis on individual actions or incidents that, in the long run, may not actually make much difference at all.
                          Trump is a malignant narcissist. Such people derive their power from "casting a spell" over people who become firm allies. Such people aren't dislodged incrementally but suddenly, when the dam bursts for them individually. Once that happens those people will never go back to the narcissist. I think each of these actions costs Trump an incremental amount of his support which will be gone forever.

Your imagination is not fact.
                          That is true. Obviously any statement made about the future is going to be speculative so I don't see how this is much of a rejoinder.

Do you think that was his intent?
                          You're sidestepping the question. Trump's intent is irrelevant. Any action which doesn't gain you votes risks costing you votes by definition. I think this action plays great among the true believers but I don't see how anyone else would be convinced to vote for Trump over this action.

I can ask!
                          Please do. He's not a good guy, even discounting his 2016+ behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            You know what they say about making assumptions.
                            Assumptions are the mother of all screw-ups.

Ohhhh, you meant the other thing they say

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Trump is a malignant narcissist.
                              To put it simply, his ego is Yuuge!

I think it is a toss up between Trump and the Obamessiah for which president is the most egotistical one in my lifetime.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                To put it simply, his ego is Yuuge!

I think it is a toss up between Trump and the Obamessiah for which president is the most egotistical one in my lifetime.
                                Obamessiah was very good at it, and you couldn't criticize him because, well.....

Comment