Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Anyone know what happened to Preterist Archive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what happened to Preterist Archive?

I didn't visit the site often, but occasionally found useful information on it (some of the stuff on the site was actually not particularly related to preterism at all), and I'm just wondering what happened to it. If you go to any page on the site now it just says "Closed." This appears to be a recent development--the site seems to have been up as recently as the middle of May based on archive.org, and you'll see that the main page has mentions of updates on May 5. So the site was being attended to and updated, then suddenly went offline soon afterwards.

It's not just the site either; in the archives of the site I see it had a Facebook page and a Twitter, which are gone also. Now, it's possible those were down earlier and the website just hadn't removed links to it--I can't tell when they were taken down. But it's weird that it seems the site just suddenly disappeared along with everything related to it. Furthermore it means you can't try to go over there to see if any kind of announcement was made.

I wasn't really sure where to ask, but I figured maybe there were people here who know more about the site than I do and have any idea what in the world happened.

I think I had gone to that website briefly this year.

The youtube channel notes that it was recently that everything disappeared.

Someone refers to his name as Todd Dennis. From what I remember, he had come to reject the preterist view and changed to
    a historist view, if memory serves. He kept the preterist archive site going because of its popularity or usefulness.

Comment

I found a page of the old site.

http://www.preteristarchive.com/author/admin/page/119/
      The Capitol Insurrection And Religion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_bibl_vppi_i0

Comment

I visit it only occasionally, and hadn't realized it disappeared.

I did find his timeline preserved in http://prophecyhistory.com/node/328.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          I think I had gone to that website briefly this year.

The youtube channel notes that it was recently that everything disappeared.

Someone refers to his name as Todd Dennis. From what I remember, he had come to reject the preterist view and changed to
          a historist view, if memory serves. He kept the preterist archive site going because of its popularity or usefulness.
          Yes, the vanishing of everything on the YouTube channel is an obvious indication that it wasn't simply the site going into disuse or something; this was a deliberate removal of material. But what confuses me is the suddenness. As noted, the site was still being updated in May, and then suddenly it vanishes within the month with most everything else related to it being erased. Even if he had concluded that Preterism was wrong, it's odd to not leave an explanation.

Though I'm not sure about the switching to historicism claim; I tried searching for that in regards to Todd Dennis and didn't find it. I did find that he was a full preterist in the past and changed to partial preterism, but that's it. Do you remember where you read that?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            Yes, the vanishing of everything on the YouTube channel is an obvious indication that it wasn't simply the site going into disuse or something; this was a deliberate removal of material. But what confuses me is the suddenness. As noted, the site was still being updated in May, and then suddenly it vanishes within the month with most everything else related to it being erased. Even if he had concluded that Preterism was wrong, it's odd to not leave an explanation.

Though I'm not sure about the switching to historicism claim; I tried searching for that in regards to Todd Dennis and didn't find it. I did find that he was a full preterist in the past and changed to partial preterism, but that's it. Do you remember where you read that?
            I think F.F. Bruce was a historicist. Check him on Wikipedia. That might be where the historicist claim comes from.
            The Capitol Insurrection And Religion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_bibl_vppi_i0

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post

I need a little correction here. I think he came to an idealist eschatology (Idealist Preterism?). I don't have any strong memory what this view is. I think I heard this from him in a Paltalk room. I was in the room because I was interested in some views on the kingdom of God -- which I didn't really got to hear much about.

Comment

It got raptured?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by eschaton View Post
                  And I found this through a link in Reddit: https://web.archive.org/web/20200228...starchive.com/

Comment

Well, I know I can access it via something like archive.org, even if it makes navigating it harder (you can't search it or anything). I'm just trying to figure out what happened. It clearly wasn't a simple lapsing, the person in charge of it wanted it gone, going so far as to remove the videos on their YouTube channel.... but why? If they had decided preterism was false, it seems odd they didn't announce that to anyone as an explanation.

Comment

It may be back under new management and a slightly different name.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

This new one looks interesting.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          It may be back under new management and a slightly different name.
                          I stumbled across that a month or two ago, actually, but forgot all about this thread so I didn't come back to post in it. It is useful that it's still online now; I think all the important stuff had been saved by archive.org, but having a live site is more useful because it lets you actually search it more easily.

Still not sure what happened to it, though. On the about page of the new website (https://preteristarchives.org/about/) the new owner says they did not know why it went away, but then later added an addendum saying "I have since discovered why but it shall remain private." So whatever it was, it's something that is apparently private business.

Comment

I came across this thread while looking for a sort of primer on "Partial Preterism." I found enough info to satisfy me for now. I was fairly sure the late Gordon Fee was a Partial Preterist, and I'm more sure now. In the course of my little hunt, I found that Ben Witherington III and Tom Wright are likewise.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The original host of the preteristarchives went through various different views. He had preserved the preterist website for a long time. I think he recognized some benefit of sharing all the books and material he collected.

He had gone through stuff like full preterism, idealism and maybe some more esoteric ones.

I have been following some of the study of Revelation by Bruce Gore on Youtube.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X