Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Conservative values/principles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    But...but...he HUGGED the American flag. He must be a patriot.
    That was a choke hold - illegal in most jurisdictions.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I'm reminded of Chesterton who refused to call himself conservative or progressive.

Source: G.K Chesterton

The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected. Even when the revolutionist might himself repent of his revolution, the traditionalist is already defending it as part of his tradition. Thus we have two great types -- the advanced person who rushes us into ruin, and the retrospective person who admires the ruins. He admires them especially by moonlight, not to say moonshine. Each new blunder of the progressive or prig becomes instantly a legend of immemorial antiquity for the snob. This is called the balance, or mutual check, in our Constitution.

© Copyright Original Source

If we followed Chestertons view, we'd still be living in the stone age. The business of progressives is to progress, to make things better, not to make mistakes, the business of conservatives is to stop progress, to check progressives from going too far to fast. That's the balance, or the mutual check, as he puts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I think, in general, conservatives believe their ideals rest on a fixed foundation that is independent of culture, society, or any one person's opinion. They are resistant to change only because the foundation does not change.

Liberals, on the other hand, hold to a more flexible standard that accounts for societal whims. They welcome and embrace change and in fact consider it a virtue when a long held belief is discarded in favor of the latest vogue.

At least that's how I see it. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me that I'm wrong.
        You’re wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The GOP platform is here:

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/medi...DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf

Too long to quote here. But as a conservative party, it's platform encompasses many conservative values, such as liberty, respect for life, law and order and the constitution.
          If republicans truely valued the law, they wouldn't be supporting a lawless president. Words are cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            If republicans truely valued the law, they wouldn't be supporting a lawless president. Words are cheap!
            Lawless: refusal to bow and scrape to increasingly insane leftist demands.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Lawless: refusal to bow and scrape to increasingly insane leftist demands.
              That doesn't even make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                That's false. I never supported Obama.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If liberals truley [sic] valued the law, they wouldn't support lawless anarchy, rioting, burning, looting... and make excuses for "statue topplers".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    If liberals truley [sic] valued the law, they wouldn't support lawless anarchy, rioting, burning, looting... and make excuses for "statue topplers".
                    Right, and I don't. That's just a canard, another excuse for yourself in defense of your support for a lawless treasonous president.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I think, in general, conservatives believe their ideals rest on a fixed foundation that is independent of culture, society, or any one person's opinion. They are resistant to change only because the foundation does not change.

Liberals, on the other hand, hold to a more flexible standard that accounts for societal whims. They welcome and embrace change and in fact consider it a virtue when a long held belief is discarded in favor of the latest vogue.

At least that's how I see it. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me that I'm wrong.

In general, conservatives tend to fear change for any reason. Liberals generally do not. A few liberals embrace change just for the sake of change - but most liberals embrace change when they see a reason for a change to occur, always asking "wouldn't it be better if things were this way?" For the liberal, "that's the way it's always been done" is an invitation to mindless existence as sheep and marries us to any and all ills of the past.

Usually, the two forces counter-balance one another. The conservative keeps the liberal from running pell mell into the future with experimentation that has little thought to consequences, and the liberal constantly nudges the conservative out of their complacent, backward looking fixations. But that relationship is now (probably irrevocably) broken, and the two sides see one another not as complements to be embraced but as enemies to be defeated.

Some of the most "liberal" minds in our history were the Founding Fathers. They had the vision to look at some of the most revolutionary philosophers of their day and embrace the changes those philosophies embodied, designing an entire nation around them. There is an irony to the fact that conservatives cling to them as bastions of conservatism and liberals do not see them for the liberals they were.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I find myself wondering if the early Americans who dumped English tea into Boston Harbor, or the Sons of Freedom who pulled down the statue of George III in 1776 after hearing the reading of the Declaration of Independence, were described in similar terms by colonists who sided with England...

And I seem to recall a fair amount of rioting, burning, and even looting...

ETA: BTW, I am not defending the looting or the burning. But I do understand it. I suspect if any of us had to live in a black person's skin for more than a few weeks, we might find ourselves tempted to act out as well.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Right, and I don't. That's just a canard, another excuse for yourself in defense of your support for a lawless treasonous president.
                          Stop Saying Stupid Stuff.gif

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            I find myself wondering if the early Americans who dumped English tea into Boston Harbor, or the Sons of Freedom who pulled down the statue of George III in 1776 after hearing the reading of the Declaration of Independence, were described in similar terms by colonists who sided with England...
                            That argument's already been tried. (JimL thought it was brilliant) They didn't steal the tea, burn the ships, and haul the tea home. Not even close.

And I seem to recall a fair amount of rioting, burning, and even looting...
                            I'll have to take your word for it - I wasn't there.

ETA: BTW, I am not defending the looting or the burning. But I do understand it.
                            Ya know, that sentiment sounds noble, but it amounts to pretty much tacit approval and dismissal.

I suspect if any of us had to live in a black person's skin for more than a few weeks, we might find ourselves tempted to act out as well.
                            My black friends, including my black "boss", is pretty hacked that BLM has clothed themselves in "black skin" to carry out their Marxist anarchy.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46565[/ATTACH]
                              Truth hurts does it? Hope so.
                              Last edited by JimL; 07-12-2020, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Truth hurts doe it? Hope so.
                                It doe?

Jim, once again, there's FAR more evidence on this board that you support NAMBLA than that I support Trump.

Comment