Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Conservative values/principles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yes sir, I thought about that some more. Since conservatives resist radical change, we tend to be proud of what we have. Especially in these days, we're seeing conservatives wanting to keep our police departments, law and order, the founding principles of our country.... we're proud of America as the greatest nation on the face of the earth.

Liberals, however, seem to want to morph into Venezuela or Europe or some other country or 'vision'.
    I think using superlatives like that doesn’t help the U.S. One could easily make the case that Nepal and Switzerland are greater.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I love it...
      It's a favorite of mine

Comment

There are several problems with the emphasized part. First - we really aren't anymore, and I'm not sure we ever were. Don't get me wrong - we've had some amazing moments in history, and done some amazing things. But this level of pride is, in my experience, largely blind to the negative aspects of this country. What we are unwilling to examine because it might somehow require us to revise this "greatest nation on the face of the earth" view we will never be able to adjust/correct. Second, it is an amazingly arrogant view. It is the equivalent of Trump's self-aggrandizement on a national scale. I think our nation could use a bit more humility, and willingness to recognize it's flaws as well as its strengths. We are quick to tout the latter and slow to embrace the former. Finally, it is a view the rest of the world is no longer tolerant of. Despite all the of the recent resurgence of "nationalism," the fact is we are a nation within a global context, and globalism is a growing force. There is no reversing this reality. The moment we bound the world together with the telegraph, and then the telephone, and then high-speed international travel, and most recently with the Internet, the impact of one nation on another and on the whole was magnified. We can respond to that reality - and adjust our stance accordingly, or we can huddle in our nationalistic shells and the world will pass us by. What happens on the other side of the world can now impact us quickly and with significant effect. We need only look to the coronavirus to see that force in action.
        Unfortunately, patriotism has morphed into flag fetishism, which makes the U.S. look like a joke.

C8382721-CB23-4BB9-84FB-B6A7EF9BEB29.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          Unfortunately, patriotism has morphed into flag fetishism, which makes the U.S. look like a joke.
          Nah that just makes the US looks like any country that's proud of themselves. Danes also are very proud of our flag.

Comment

Originally posted by leonhard View Post
            nah that just makes the us looks like any country that's proud of themselves. Danes also are very proud of our flag.

“denmark first!”

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46550[/ATTACH]
              Mr. Trump is not a patriot. He's not even a half-decent U.S. citizen. He cares nothing for the values this country once stood for. They are not his values. He cares about two things: adulation and power. He has demonstrated this repeatedly in the past 3.5+ years. Our country will be well rid of him.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Mr. Trump is not a patriot. He's not even a half-decent U.S. citizen. He cares nothing for the values this country once stood for. They are not his values. He cares about two things: adulation and power. He has demonstrated this repeatedly in the past 3.5+ years. Our country will be well rid of him.
                But...but...he HUGGED the American flag. He must be a patriot.

Comment

What presidential candidate is better for American values?
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The usual substanceless rant that could (depending on your perspective) apply to any president over at least the past century. For that matter, I could picture a Southerner saying this word for word about President Lincoln.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The GOP platform is here:

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/medi...DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf

Too long to quote here. But as a conservative party, it's platform encompasses many conservative values, such as liberty, respect for life, law and order and the constitution.

Comment

But...but...he HUGGED the American flag. He must be a patriot.
                        The flag will be joining the 25 women accusing Mr. Trump of sexual misconduct...
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          What presidential candidate is better for American values?
                          Better? The majority of them, both currently and historically. If we are limiting it to the present, there has not been a 2020 candidate less reflective of traditional American values than Mr. Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            The GOP platform is here:

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/medi...DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf

Too long to quote here. But as a conservative party, it's platform encompasses many conservative values, such as liberty, respect for life, law and order and the constitution.
                            I value liberty -
                            I value life -
                            I value law and order -
                            I have tremendous respect for the Constitution and what it represents -

I also value truth -
                            I value self-reliance -
                            I value hard work -
                            I value personal responsibility -
                            I value equality under the law -
                            I value self-examination to find and deal with flaws -

I would not be a Republican (or Democrat) if you paid me...

Comment

I think, in general, conservatives believe their ideals rest on a fixed foundation that is independent of culture, society, or any one person's opinion. They are resistant to change only because the foundation does not change.

Liberals, on the other hand, hold to a more flexible standard that accounts for societal whims. They welcome and embrace change and in fact consider it a virtue when a long held belief is discarded in favor of the latest vogue.

At least that's how I see it. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me that I'm wrong.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                I think, in general, conservatives believe their ideals rest on a fixed foundation that is independent of culture, society, or any one person's opinion. They are resistant to change only because the foundation does not change.

Liberals, on the other hand, hold to a more flexible standard that accounts for societal whims. They welcome and embrace change and in fact consider it a virtue when a long held belief is discarded in favor of the latest vogue.

At least that's how I see it. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me that I'm wrong.
                                I'll amen you just to tick somebody off.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment