Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Neowise comet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Neowise comet

A comet is visible in the northern hemisphere, the Neowise comet:

Source: NASA

Through about the middle of the month, the comet is visible around 10 degrees above the northeastern horizon (the width of your outstretched fist) in the hour before dawn. From mid-July on, it's best viewed as an evening object, rising increasingly higher above the northwestern horizon. (Note that observers at lower latitudes will see the comet lower in the sky, while it will appear higher for observers farther north.)

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

neat.

Comment

Pretty sure I saw it last night, but wanted to confirm.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

aren't comets supposed to bring plagues and stuff? This one is late!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          aren't comets supposed to bring plagues and stuff? This one is late!
          Maybe it's gonna smash into earth and kill the virus.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How to see Comet NEOWISE in the night sky this month

The early reviews are in: Comet NEOWISE is a hit!

Those who have gotten up before sunrise to gaze into the twilight skies have been greeted by the best comet performance for Northern Hemisphere observers since the 1997 appearance of Comet Hale-Bopp. Indeed, NEOWISE (catalogued C/2020 F3), emphatically ended the nearly quarter-century lack of spectacular comets.

Early fears of another fizzler like comets ATLAS and SWAN quickly eased during June when NEOWISE proved to be an intrinsically bright comet with a highly condensed core. It brightened 100-fold from June 9, when as a seventh-magnitude object it disappeared into the glare of the sun, to June 27, when it appeared in the field of view of the LASCO-3 camera on NASA's Solar and Heliospheric Observatory shining at second-magnitude.

Even before Comet NEOWISE arrived at perihelion — its closest point to the sun — observers could glimpse it very low to the northeast horizon, immersed deep in bright twilight, just before sunrise on July 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Wormwood!

Comment

Internet crackpot Paul Begley connects the comet and the solar eclipse "ring of fire" with the coming apocalypse.

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/te...of-apocalypse/

From what I understand, the comet can now be seen in the northwest shortly after sunset.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    Internet crackpot Paul Begley connects the comet and the solar eclipse "ring of fire" with the coming apocalypse.

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/te...of-apocalypse/

From what I understand, the comet can now be seen in the northwest shortly after sunset.
                    It's about time! When we don't have plagues and comets we have every crackpot in the world predicting the apocalypse because of some weird date or alignment of planets. But since we had COVID-19 I haven't seen anyone predicting this was the end. I was getting worried that it might BE the end since nobody was predicting it. But now I can relax.

whew.

Comment