Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    You are not sure whether to laugh or cry at the tragic outcome of such an mindset.

A 30-year-old patient died after attending a “Covid party”, believing the virus to be a hoax, a Texas medical official has said.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not,’” said Dr Jane Appleby, the chief medical officer at Methodist hospital in San Antonio.

Appleby said: “I don’t want to be an alarmist, and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realise that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.”

A “Covid party” is a gathering held by somebody diagnosed with coronavirus to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected, she explained.

Appleby said in her filmed comments at the weekend that she had been spurred to reveal the case after seeing a “concerning” rise in infections. She said 22% of tests were revealing a case of Covid-19, up from just 5% a few weeks ago.
    A broader age range were being affected, with several 20 and 30 year olds critically ill at the Methodist hospital, she said.

“Please wear a mask, stay at home when you can, avoid groups of people and sanitise your hands,” said Appleby.
    The call for caution came as top officials in Houston urged the city to lock back down as hospitals struggled to accommodate new coronavirus cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...id-party-texas
    It doesn't seem a stretch that something like that was said, along with other pleadings and moanings.

He realized it wasn't a hoax when he first felt sick.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      Tell you what. Explain how my question was a troll question and if your answer is even a little plausible I'll leave this thread.

ETA: And to be sure we're on the same page I'm defining "troll question" to mean a question which is asked under false pretenses and not intended as a genuine point of discussion.
      Mossy told you to leave Trump out of it, so you referred to the disease as COVID45, a reference to Trump being the 45th president and also a reference that the disease is Trump's fault. An obvious troll. And a liberal hoax.

Clear enough, troll?

Comment

However, irrespective of whether the patient said those words or not, he's dead.
        And, sadly, his death certificate says "Unidentified 30 year old man".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
          Kennedy used to say Cuber, so I adopted it. I've now switched over to Chiner as well. My Ohio mother would say warsh, would drive me crazy while she laughed about it. I've embraced that as well, just because it's so wrong.
          Yup, there are some "Texas" words and phrases like that. Like "fixinta". "I'm fixinta make some supper". We never actually make supper, we're just "fixing to".

As a kid, one of my favorites was the "guzzintas" we did in math class. 2 guzzinta 8 4 times....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Mossy told you to leave Trump out of it, so you referred to the disease as COVID45, a reference to Trump being the 45th president and also a reference that the disease is Trump's fault. An obvious troll. And a liberal hoax.

Clear enough, troll?
            Fine, let me restate my question. But if you want me to leave the thread let me know and I will even though I don't think your answer meets my challenge (you weren't the one I was speaking to for one).

Why do you think this person thought COVID19 was a hoax?

Comment

Tell you what. Explain how my question was a troll question and if your answer is even a little plausible I'll leave this thread.

ETA: And to be sure we're on the same page I'm defining "troll question" to mean a question which is asked under false pretenses and not intended as a genuine point of discussion.
              Not that a Troll like you deserves it but as CP said.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I think they're mocking your very juvenile way of referring to COVID by attaching Trump to it.
              When you make it so obvious that you are trolling like you did in the quote below.
              Ok, let's take Trump out of it. Why do you think this person thought COVID45 was a hoax?
              Dont' complain when we call you on it.

So when should we expect you to leave the thread? Unless you really believe there is a covid45 then you are just to stupid to even try and have a conversation with anyway.

Comment

Clear enough, troll?
                The disease is not Trump's fault but the disastrous and haphazard response to that disease from the US administration [i.e. Trump] is to blame for much of what has since happened in the USA.

Donald needs to remember Harry's words about the buck and where it stops.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                  Not that a Troll like you deserves it but as CP said.

When you make it so obvious that you are trolling like you did in the quote below.

Dont' complain when we call you on it.

So when should we expect you to leave the thread? Unless you really believe there is a covid45 then you are just to stupid to even try and have a conversation with anyway.
                  I provided the definition of "troll question" under which I was operating. Neither you nor Sparko have even attempted to show how my question fits that definition.

Comment

I provided the definition of "troll question" under which I was operating. Neither you nor Sparko have even attempted to show how my question fits that definition.

Well I was all set to give you the benefit of the Doubt and choose believed you were asking under false pretense since you put you put 45 after Covid instead of 19 in order to make a reference to President Trump so you could attack him. Sparko did one better and Spelled it out for you. But it appears that you really thought that there was a Covid45. You just removed my doubt

As a wise man once said "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt ." You should take that to heart DivineOb.
                    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 07-14-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

The disease is not Trump's fault but the disastrous and haphazard response to that disease from the US administration [i.e. Trump] is to blame for much of what has since happened in the USA.

Donald needs to remember Harry's words about the buck and where it stops.
                      Indeed. Trump has not been hasty enough to fire Fauci and Birx and to restrain the activity of the agencies. However, if Trump did this, the media and the Dems would go more crazy in their mindless stories against him.

Are you saying that Trump should have claimed martial law over the states and stopped Cuomo from sending infected people into the nursing homes?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                        Indeed. Trump has not been hasty enough to fire Fauci and Birx and to restrain the activity of the agencies.
                        Would you have preferred to see no action taken to contain this disease? Should the USA have carried on with "business as usual"?

Trump was warned in late January by Navarro - his own appointee - that this disease had the potential to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans and derail the US economy unless serious decisions were immediately undertaken. Trump continued to play the whole thing down.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Would you have preferred to see no action taken to contain this disease? Should the USA have carried on with "business as usual"?

Trump was warned in late January by Navarro - his own appointee - that this disease had the potential to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans and derail the US economy unless serious decisions were immediately undertaken. Trump continued to play the whole thing down.
                          I would have been okay with a 14 day quarantine. Other than that I find the continuing quarantines are pure idiocy and corruption. These are not powers granted to the government. We have found that the coronavirus was a whole lot less of a problem than initially feared. We will have more deaths as a result of the solution than we have had to the virus itself. The quarantine solution is destroying our economy and is leading to deaths by suicide and delayed hospital treatments of other kinds. Also, alcoholism and drug use have. We can add to that the spousal and child abuse. (A friend had grown up in an abusive household and he would have really been in bad situation if the father were confined to the home.) There will be a slew of psychological and developmental problems as well. But the only benefit is that children are not as much indoctrinated in the schools right now; this seems odd that the government has let this "education" time go more into the hands of the parents.
                          Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-14-2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Fine, let me restate my question. But if you want me to leave the thread let me know and I will even though I don't think your answer meets my challenge (you weren't the one I was speaking to for one).

Why do you think this person thought COVID19 was a hoax?
                            Because he was an idiot. If it even happened. I followed the story in the OP which is reporting on a second article which was reporting on a video which Dr. Jane Appleby said one of her nurses told her that is what a patient told her before he died. So, we are getting it 5th hand at this point.
                            Last edited by Sparko; 07-14-2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Many governments (local and national) trusted the Ferguson predictions from Imperial College. it turns out that Ferguson has led 3 or 4 mass disasters through his models. One was the mad cow disease which led to a policy of killing maybe 100000 bovine. Then he gave the 2 million figure for American deaths. But when scientists asked for the software to be shared, his software was a disaster. Yet, our governors still act as if Ferguson was correct.

We come to have irrational trust in scientists, scholars, media and government. Concerning scientists, there simply there are paid-for-results studies (and one medical journal editor mentioned that 50% of the published studies could not be repeated).
                              The scholarly world has its own trends (such trends that lead to the social justice warriors and eventually to Evergreen and BLM). Pluckrose and two others got studies (in the humanities?) published that were totally contrived. If I have not shared that video on tweb, I should do that and see if there are comments.

The NYT fired an editor who was maybe centrist (in her own eyes but probably leftist on my scale). I think we are seeing that you have to only restate the viewpoints authorized by the NYT. We see why that letter was published for getting more freedom in what they write. (I didn't realize that evidence of the expressed concerns would come so quickly. We are not even talking about views that promote preservation of our country.)
                              Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-14-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Because he was an idiot.
                                Do you see that "Because he was an idiot." is not an answer? Someone who is an idiot doesn't spontaneously jump to conclusions without outside influence.

I recently watched a video about Harold Camping and his recent prediction about when the Rapture would occur. A lot of people believed him. Obviously we both agree that those people are idiots (wrt their exegesis at least). Do you actually believe a single one of those people would have concluded that the Rapture was imminent without an outside influence? I'll concede that this is not 100% analogous to "he who shall not be named" but that's irrelevant to my point.

Comment