Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not"

You are not sure whether to laugh or cry at the tragic outcome of such an mindset.

A 30-year-old patient died after attending a “Covid party”, believing the virus to be a hoax, a Texas medical official has said.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not,’” said Dr Jane Appleby, the chief medical officer at Methodist hospital in San Antonio.

Appleby said: “I don’t want to be an alarmist, and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realise that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.”

A “Covid party” is a gathering held by somebody diagnosed with coronavirus to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected, she explained.

Appleby said in her filmed comments at the weekend that she had been spurred to reveal the case after seeing a “concerning” rise in infections. She said 22% of tests were revealing a case of Covid-19, up from just 5% a few weeks ago.
    A broader age range were being affected, with several 20 and 30 year olds critically ill at the Methodist hospital, she said.

“Please wear a mask, stay at home when you can, avoid groups of people and sanitise your hands,” said Appleby.
    The call for caution came as top officials in Houston urged the city to lock back down as hospitals struggled to accommodate new coronavirus cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...id-party-texas
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

I've been hearing on the news for several weeks now about these "covid parties", where a person with covid is invited to a party and money is put into a kitty and the first person to get covid after the party gets the money.

I wonder if they get enough money to pay for a funeral.

Let's face it. People are stupid.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Actually that quote sounds like a hoax. Folks uttering their last breath don't say things like that unless it's in a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        You are not sure whether to laugh or cry at the tragic outcome of such an mindset.

A 30-year-old patient died after attending a “Covid party”, believing the virus to be a hoax, a Texas medical official has said.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not,’” said Dr Jane Appleby, the chief medical officer at Methodist hospital in San Antonio.

Appleby said: “I don’t want to be an alarmist, and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realise that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.”

A “Covid party” is a gathering held by somebody diagnosed with coronavirus to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected, she explained.

Appleby said in her filmed comments at the weekend that she had been spurred to reveal the case after seeing a “concerning” rise in infections. She said 22% of tests were revealing a case of Covid-19, up from just 5% a few weeks ago.
        A broader age range were being affected, with several 20 and 30 year olds critically ill at the Methodist hospital, she said.

“Please wear a mask, stay at home when you can, avoid groups of people and sanitise your hands,” said Appleby.
        The call for caution came as top officials in Houston urged the city to lock back down as hospitals struggled to accommodate new coronavirus cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...id-party-texas
        Yeah - this has been echoed in a couple of different news sources in the US. And there are actually a good number of other stories like it, people that just let their guard down one time and it turned out they were one of those people the virus torments or kills. Although I don't know the outcome, a real irony was seen in MD where one of the chief advocates for early 'reopening' has contracted the disease.

Wearing masks is such a simple, inexpensive, easy thing to do for the vast majority of people. And it offers one of the more effective ways to allow us to work and interact without such a high risk of spreading the disease. A key to 'reopening'.

It's hard to understand why so many people in the US are so hostile to it.
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-13-2020, 01:28 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Anybody who believes the China flu is a hoax is a moron.

And just to shut-up the peanut gallery, no, President Trump never said it was a hoax. Even Snopes has debunked that canard.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            Stupid is as stupid does...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              Actually that quote sounds like a hoax. Folks uttering their last breath don't say things like that unless it's in a movie.
              Yeah, I've wondered about the veracity of this story. I wonder if at some point during treatment that's what the patient said, but with his dying breath? Unlikely.

I also wonder, are "COVID parties" really a thing? Or is that another invention?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                I've been hearing on the news for several weeks now about these "covid parties", where a person with covid is invited to a party and money is put into a kitty and the first person to get covid after the party gets the money.

Yup. There was one recently at the University of Alabamastan

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Yup. There was one recently at the University of Alabamastan
                  I had heard about them taking place in Alabama, but I believe the trend was spreading.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yes, people are stupid. That's why we rely on those in authority to provide a good example. Which presidential candidate referred to COVID45 as a hoax and which one was sounding the alarm since February?

Comment

"Covid parties" has all the hallmarks of itself being a hoax (or in the modern world, an internet troll that goes viral), taken by covid alarmists and run wild...

On the surface, this sounds fairly straightforward: parties where people are intentionally trying to get a potentially deadly illness? Scary! They even used a Trump-esque exclamation point to drive the point home, so you know they mean business. And to be fair, the concept of “coronavirus parties” had previously gotten ink in none other than the New York Times, in an op-ed by epidemiologist Greta Bauer referring to “rumblings” about people hosting events “where noninfected people mingle with an infected person in an effort to catch the virus.” The piece enumerates the many reasons why such parties are a bad idea, including the fact that researchers know very little about coronavirus immunity, without citing direct evidence of the existence of these parties to begin with.

There’s good reason for this, says urban folklorist Benjamin Radford: “coronavirus parties” are probably BS. “They’re a variation of older disease urban legends such as the ‘bug chaser’ stories about people trying to get AIDS,” he tells Rolling Stone, referring to a brief spate in the early-aughts when so-called “bug-chasing” parties were subject to extensive media coverage (including a controversial story by this magazine). Such stories fed into a general sense of “moral panic” over the disease, resulting in it sticking around in the public imagination regardless of the lack of supporting evidence.

That’s not to say, however, that there’s no precedent for such events. “This idea is not new,” says Jen Grygiel, assistant professor of communications at Syracuse University. “Growing up, I heard stories about people intentionally exposing their kids to chicken pox if they hadn’t been exposed in school so that they would acquire immunity while they were young.” (Such chicken pox parties are also popular in the anti-vaxx community, which has been actively spreading misinformation about the coronavirus.) There is even something of a precedent for so-called “bug-chasing” events, as the New York Times wrote last month, with gay homeless youth in Cuba in the 1980s purposefully trying to infect themselves with HIV in order to gain access to isolation camps for people who had tested positive.

In Kentucky, a group of young people had what appeared to have been an ironic “coronavirus party” in response to the state lockdowns, only for one of them to unironically contract the virus. But that too wasn’t exactly an effort to intentionally become infected..

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                        Yes, people are stupid. That's why we rely on those in authority to provide a good example. Which presidential candidate referred to COVID45 as a hoax and which one was sounding the alarm since February?
                        Why does EVERY thread have to be a Trump thread!

Honestly, can't a person start a thread that has nothing to do with Trump that you DON'T interrupt with your bias?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Anybody who believes the China flu is a hoax is a moron.

And just to shut-up the peanut gallery, no, President Trump never said it was a hoax. Even Snopes has debunked that canard.
                          Yet this individual *thought* it was a hoax. Those in authority are responsible for the reasonable consequences of things they say. *That's* why it matters if Trump says something which can be reasonably interpreted as COVID45 being a hoax. *That's* why it matters if Trump says something which can be reasonably interpreted as advising the use of disinfectants as treatment. *That's* why it matters if Trump says something which can be reasonably interpreted as racist etc. etc.

And to read this as "debunking" the hoax claim is simply... creative.

Comment

Why does EVERY thread have to be a Trump thread!

Honestly, can't a person start a thread that has nothing to do with Trump that you DON'T interrupt with your bias?
                            Ok, let's take Trump out of it. Why do you think this person thought COVID45 was a hoax?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                              Which presidential candidate referred to COVID45 as a hoax and which one was sounding the alarm since February?

The funniest part about Biden in all of this is that was every time he announced what he would have done to combat the China flu if he was president, it turned out to be something that President Trump had already done, was doing, or had proposed. I think eventually Biden just stopped talking about it. Of course there's also the fact that Biden was still calling for open borders and falsely accusing the President of xenophobia while hypocritically criticizing the President for not doing enough stop the spread of the virus.
                              Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-13-2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment