Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Why should I care about what even you admit is a tenuous parallel?
    I said "a least" you idiot.

scum.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      Actually, you said "at least".

When you're calling somebody an idiot, it's always good to make sure you cross your t's and dot your i's.

(yeah, personal experience )
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46607[/ATTACH]
        And?

cover.jpg
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Stupid is as stupid does...
          Perhaps it is not a tragedy seer, perhaps it is just natural selection in action.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            I've been hearing on the news for several weeks now about these "covid parties", where a person with covid is invited to a party and money is put into a kitty and the first person to get covid after the party gets the money.

I wonder if they get enough money to pay for a funeral.

Let's face it. People are stupid.
            Fatally so in this instance, apart from the risk of spreading it to others.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Somebody sent me a video of the "5G / Bill Gates / vaccine / face mask wire" thing the other day - I was astounded.

And, no, didn't send it to me because he took it seriously, he was showing me how nutty people can be.
              Hence the aphorism that "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                And nothing is idiot-proof to the sufficiently motivated idiot.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                  Or as GK Chesterton explained it in The Man Who Knew Too Much:

You've got to understand one of the tricks of the modern mind, a tendency that most people obey without noticing it. In the village or suburb outside there's an inn with the sign of St. George and the Dragon. Now suppose I went about telling everybody that this was only a corruption of King George and the Dragoon. Scores of people would believe it, without any inquiry, from a vague feeling that it's probable because it's prosaic. It turns something romantic and legendary into something recent and ordinary. And that somehow makes it sound rational, though it is unsupported by reason. Of course some people would have the sense to remember having seen St. George in old Italian pictures and French romances, but a good many wouldn't think about it at all. They would just swallow the skepticism because it was skepticism. Modern intelligence won't accept anything on authority. But it will accept anything without authority.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    And nothing is idiot-proof to the sufficiently motivated idiot.
                    Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux operating system, was once raging against the Gnome desktop interface because of it's over simplicity that prevented people who actually knew what they were doing from accomplishing anything useful. He told the developers in one of his famous rants, "If you design something so simple that an idiot can use it, then only an idiot will use it."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux operating system, was once raging against the Gnome desktop interface because of it's over simplicity that prevented people who actually knew what they were doing from accomplishing anything useful. He told the developers in one of his famous rants, "If you design something so simple that an idiot can use it, then only an idiot will use it."
                      He's not wrong. Unfortunately Apple has taken this to an extreme by not only making their interface designed for idiots but also making it extraordinarily difficult for non-idiots who actually know what they want to do to do what they know they want. The amount of hours I wasted just managing to get mp3s onto their phones is... way too high.

Comment

He's not wrong. Unfortunately Apple has taken this to an extreme by not only making their interface designed for idiots but also making it extraordinarily difficult for non-idiots who actually know what they want to do to do what they know they want. The amount of hours I wasted just managing to get mp3s onto their phones is... way too high.
                        Nothing is more frustrating that to try to find a way to do what one wants on a windows box that is just a simple set of pipes through some combination of ls, cat, grep, sort, awk or other simple filters in linux. Most of the time one has to write a program in perl or python to get the job done. Cygwin can help but it's permissions model doesn't always work well, as does native linux (if your IP department doesn't block it for security reasons). I just keep a linux VM around with my windows partitions mounted as shared folders so I can work on a windows box but have my linux too. Not to mention having simple and free access to c and c++ compilers.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          Nothing is more frustrating that to try to find a way to do what one wants on a windows box that is just a simple set of pipes through some combination of ls, cat, grep, sort, awk or other simple filters in linux. Most of the time one has to write a program in perl or python to get the job done. Cygwin can help but it's permissions model doesn't always work well, as does native linux (if your IP department doesn't block it for security reasons). I just keep a linux VM around with my windows partitions mounted as shared folders so I can work on a windows box but have my linux too. Not to mention having simple and free access to c and c++ compilers.
                          Ok well I will admit that my rant might not apply to Apple desktops since they switched to *nix based (BSD based?). Probably they are easier to use in that regard than the alternative. I have honestly I don't think ever touched one before. I'm speaking more about the Apple products I'm forced to deal with since the rest of my family isn't allergic to them like I am :|.

Comment

Soooooooooo........is this now a computer thread?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              Actually that quote sounds like a hoax. Folks uttering their last breath don't say things like that unless it's in a movie.
                              I agree, there is something fishy about it. Like someone who died of heat stroke, their last words to a climatologist "I was an idiot. Climate Change is real."

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                                I agree, there is something fishy about it. Like someone who died of heat stroke, their last words to a climatologist "I was an idiot. Climate Change is real."

It would be the most cheesiest line ever in probably one of the worst Hollywood movies ever. And the fact it's based on a so-called premise -- "covid parties" -- that's likely a hoax itself, makes it even more absurd.

Comment