Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

University agrees to pass Black students who are too busy demonstrating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University agrees to pass Black students who are too busy demonstrating.

University agrees that black students should be graded differently

Students at the University of Washington are demanding that black students should not face difficult exams and time constraints because they are too “busy fighting for [their] rights to sit down and study”.

And the university thinks it is a good idea: It is currently advising professors to pass black students on the basis of race after an online petition gathered more than 26 000 signatures.

“You need to encourage and demand professors to accommodate their black students during this time. If UW truly understands our pain, UW will be a part of alleviating it,” the petition states.

Nicole McNichols, UW Psychology Professor told Campus Reform that she supported the move. “Obviously, I support the petition and absolutely believe the accommodations it requests should be honored by all faculty. Students need all of the support and compassion we can afford to give them right now.”

The email sent by McNichols to her students reads: “First, the remaining homework chapters are being put into review mode. Everyone will receive full points. Second, I have decided to drop everyone’s lowest exam score. This means that you may opt-out of taking Exam 3 if you just don’t feel up to it, (or if you [are] happy with your scores from exam 1 and 2).”

UW Senior Director of Media Relations Victor Balta said that all staff were asked “to consider that while we are together as a community, some are being affected more than others”.

https://freewestmedia.com/2020/06/05...d-differently/

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Students at the University of Washington are demanding that black students should not face difficult exams and time constraints because they are too “busy fighting for [their] rights to sit down and study”.

And the university thinks it is a good idea: It is currently advising professors to pass black students on the basis of race after an online petition gathered more than 26 000 signatures.

“You need to encourage and demand professors to accommodate their black students during this time. If UW truly understands our pain, UW will be a part of alleviating it,” the petition states.

Nicole McNichols, UW Psychology Professor told Campus Reform that she supported the move. “Obviously, I support the petition and absolutely believe the accommodations it requests should be honored by all faculty. Students need all of the support and compassion we can afford to give them right now.”

The email sent by McNichols to her students reads: “First, the remaining homework chapters are being put into review mode. Everyone will receive full points. Second, I have decided to drop everyone’s lowest exam score. This means that you may opt-out of taking Exam 3 if you just don’t feel up to it, (or if you [are] happy with your scores from exam 1 and 2).”

UW Senior Director of Media Relations Victor Balta said that all staff were asked “to consider that while we are together as a community, some are being affected more than others”.

This will likely result in many businesses ignoring any degrees that blacks may have gotten because they'll assume that they were simply given them rather than earned them.

That will really suck for those who actually busted their butts working for their degrees

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      This will likely result in many businesses ignoring any degrees that blacks may have gotten because they'll assume that they were simply given them rather than earned them.

That will really suck for those who actually busted their butts working for their degrees
      Yep. Especially in technical areas, like engineering or even healthcare. Who would trust a degree from a college that just handed out degrees to people who didn't do the work?

Comment

Gordon Klein, an accounting professor at UCLA, is on indefinite suspension after refusing a request from his students to implement a policy such as this.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

No it wont

A four year degree is about as functionally useful as a tank of gas: you need one to get somewhere, but there isn't a ton of benefit between one or the other. The average business wont care where you graduated from; they'll care whether you sounded like an idiot in the interview...

Comment

I love when Walter Williams comments on his own struggles as a black man, without the aid of all these prejudicial practices -- he says, in effect, "At least, I have the satisfaction of knowing I EARNED my degrees..."
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Will the white students who are fighting for the black cause get the same break?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                Will the white students who are fighting for the black cause get the same break?
                Pffft. Don't be ridiculous. Of course not. They are merely rightfully paying for the sin of having white skin.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

nope.

Comment

nope.
                    I can almost guarantee that you're wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                      I can almost guarantee that you're wrong
                      Did you read the article? Feel free to show me otherwise.

Comment

How, exactly, would things like "extra time to finish assignments or providing a 'final examination optional' pathway" or general class policies like "First, the remaining homework chapters are being put into review mode. Everyone will receive full points. Second, I have decided to drop everyone’s lowest exam score. This means that you may opt-out of taking Exam 3 if you just don’t feel up to it, (or if you [are] happy with your scores from exam 1 and 2)" result in businesses ignoring the degrees of black people?

Comment

Did you read the article?
                          Yup, all ~1300 characters of it.

Feel free to show me otherwise.
                          First, the thin article didn't actually say the university was honoring the petition.

Second, the one professor interviewed described her policy as applying to all of her students, not just the black ones.

Third, the university isn't going to implement a policy that would result in it getting sued for racial discrimination.

Comment

And then they wonder why no one wants to hire them because they are actually not educated or skilled. Goofy liberals, it’s actually really insulting to black students.

Comment

So students who play hooky from class should be rewarded? What kind of lesson is that? Wonder how that's going to play out when they get jobs...

"Sorry, boss, I can't come in this week. Gotta protest, but I still expect to be paid."

To which any sensible employer would say, "If you don't come in this week, then don't bother coming in next week, because you will no longer be my employee."
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment