Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Hard Sciences Survive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will The Hard Sciences Survive?

By Lawrence Krauss

The Ideological Corruption of Science

Within the 1980s, once I was a younger professor of physics and astronomy at Yale, deconstructionism was in vogue within the English Division.

We within the science departments would scoff on the lack of goal mental requirements within the humanities, epitomized by a motion that argued in opposition to the existence of goal fact itself, arguing that each one such claims to data have been tainted by ideological biases as a result of race, intercourse or financial dominance.

It might by no means occur within the onerous sciences, besides maybe beneath dictatorships, such because the Nazi condemnation of “Jewish” science, or the Stalinist marketing campaign in opposition to genetics led by Trofim Lysenko, through which actually 1000’s of mainstream geneticists have been dismissed within the effort to suppress any opposition to the prevailing political view of the state.

Or so we thought. In recent times, and particularly because the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, tutorial science leaders have adopted wholesale the language of dominance and oppression beforehand restricted to “cultural research” journals to information their disciplines, to censor dissenting views, to take away school from management positions if their analysis is claimed by opponents to assist systemic oppression.

In June, the American Bodily Society (APS), which represents 55,000 physicists world-wide, endorsed a “strike for black lives” to “shut down STEM” in academia. It closed its workplace—to not protest police violence or racism, however to “decide to eradicating systemic racism and discrimination, particularly in academia, and science,” stating that “physics shouldn’t be an exception” to the suffocating results of racism in American life.

https://apkmetro.com/the-ideological...on-of-science/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    By Lawrence Krauss
    A group of physicists protesting systemic racism is not an assault on hard science. It's merely a group of people who happen to share a common background using that common background and speak out against systemic racism. To show it is a threat to hard sciences, you would have to show that they are attempting to change research outcomes to obtain a pre-desired result.

Recognizing that, even in the sciences, systemic racism causes certain racism to have a lesser or greater chance to participate in the activity of science is no threat to hard science.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I find it ironic that racism is rampant in acadamia and science.

I agree, we need to clean up the idiocy of modern acadamia.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        A group of physicists protesting systemic racism is not an assault on hard science. It's merely a group of people who happen to share a common background using that common background and speak out against systemic racism. To show it is a threat to hard sciences, you would have to show that they are attempting to change research outcomes to obtain a pre-desired result.

Recognizing that, even in the sciences, systemic racism causes certain racism to have a lesser or greater chance to participate in the activity of science is no threat to hard science.
        Are you kidding? Do you actually read the article?

An Italian scientist on the worldwide laboratory CERN, dwelling to the Massive Hadron Collider, had his scheduled seminar on statistical imbalances between the sexes in physics canceled and his place on the laboratory revoked as a result of he advised that obvious inequities may not be straight as a result of sexism. A gaggle of linguistics college students initiated a public petition asking that the psychologist Steven Pinker be stripped of his place as a Linguistics Society of America Fellow for such offenses as tweeting a New York Instances article they disapproved of.

Precise censorship can also be occurring. A distinguished chemist in Canada argued in favor of merit-based science and in opposition to hiring practices that purpose at equality of final result in the event that they end result “in discrimination in opposition to essentially the most meritorious candidates.” For that he was censured by his college provost, his printed assessment article on analysis and training in natural synthesis was faraway from the journal web site, and two editors concerned in accepting it have been suspended.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Will The Hard Sciences Survive?
          We are living in a very peculiar era, where hysteria and political correctness are affecting otherwise rational people.

Comment

An Italian scientist on the worldwide laboratory CERN, dwelling to the Massive Hadron Collider, had his scheduled seminar on statistical imbalances between the sexes in physics canceled and his place on the laboratory revoked as a result of he advised that obvious inequities may not be straight as a result of sexism.
            Well that's a lie for a start. That's Alessandro Strumia, and his seminar was cancelled because his presentation was incoherent self-serving offensive garbage.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

An Italian scientist on the worldwide laboratory CERN, dwelling to the Massive Hadron Collider, had his scheduled seminar on statistical imbalances between the sexes in physics canceled and his place on the laboratory revoked as a result of he advised that obvious inequities may not be straight as a result of sexism. A gaggle of linguistics college students initiated a public petition asking that the psychologist Steven Pinker be stripped of his place as a Linguistics Society of America Fellow for such offenses as tweeting a New York Instances article they disapproved of.

Precise censorship can also be occurring. A distinguished chemist in Canada argued in favor of merit-based science and in opposition to hiring practices that purpose at equality of final result in the event that they end result “in discrimination in opposition to essentially the most meritorious candidates.” For that he was censured by his college provost, his printed assessment article on analysis and training in natural synthesis was faraway from the journal web site, and two editors concerned in accepting it have been suspended.
              No - I didn't read the article. I responded to your extracted quote, which is what I presumed you were focused on. What you extracted did not support the suggestion that the hard sciences were under threat. Your quoted segment provided little impetus for me to read the larger article. I can only read so many things in a day - so I'd rather not waste my time on slanted tripe.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                We are living in a very peculiar era, where hysteria and political correctness are affecting otherwise rational people.
                With that I agree to some degree. There is always a chance of hysteria when a group movement begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Well that's a lie for a start. That's Alessandro Strumia, and his seminar was cancelled because his presentation was incoherent self-serving offensive garbage.
                  So Lawrence Krauss lied and his whole article is wrong? And I would trust what PZ Myers, the social justice warrior says, why?
                  Last edited by seer; 07-15-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    Interesting...

Comment

So Lawrence Krauss lied and his whole article is wrong?
                      Or Lawrence Krauss is yet another selectively picking out anecdotes to tell a pre-determined story. THAT is far more of a threat to the hard sciences than what he is railing about.

Comment

What is it with these articles by Krauss stripping away the names of the people who did and dancing around what they were doing. Stephen Hsu was openly advocating for eugenics! Hsu also had a holocaust denier on his podcast and he likewise appeared on a white supremacists podcast. I think it's quite fair game for a university to decide whether they want to remain associated with someone who is doing that.

The Italian scientist that Krauss bemoans is Alessandro Strumia, still looking into him.

They should have stuck to physics.
                        Last edited by Leonhard; 07-15-2020, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          The Italian scientist that Krauss bemoans is Alessandro Strumia, still looking into him.
                          I looked it up and he basically gave a talk that hit every single sexist stereotype about women in science that one can think of. Again, he shouldn't be shocked that if this is how he spends his lectures that he's not invited again.

Comment

So Lawrence Krauss lied and his whole article is wrong? And I would trust what PZ Myers, the social justice warrior says, why?
                            No, you shouldn't trust what PZ Myers says, or what Lawrence Krauss says, you should look at the evidence and decide for yourself.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Is it just me, or does the diction/grammar of this essay sound wonky?

It reads like it was written by someone who had the text translated to English...

For example, WTH is a "goal mental requirement"?
                              Last edited by Whateverman; 07-15-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment