Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is Trump Derangement Syndrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Trump Derangement Syndrome?

I've been watching this term get tossed around regularly, including having it aimed at me. I'm somewhat curious to do a bit of a self assessment. That will necessarily start with a decent definition of the term. Can someone offer one?

My goal is to determine 1) if I have TDS, and if I do, 2a) how did I get it and 2b) is that a bad thing?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Trump Derangement Syndrome. Another name for TrumpOCD.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Trump Derangement Syndrome. Another name for TrumpOCD.
      As I have been known to say to my students for years, "expanding an acronym does not define a term." All it does is tell us what the individual letters stand for. I'll edit the OP to avoid this kind of response.

ETA: Unfortunately, it turns out I cannot change a thread title. If one of the mods could change the "TDS" in the thread title to "Trump Derangement Syndrome," I would appreciate it.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Whateverman's avatar seems to capture TDS in a simple graphic.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          ETA: Unfortunately, it turns out I cannot change a thread title. If one of the mods could change the "TDS" in the thread title to "Trump Derangement Syndrome," I would appreciate it.
          Done
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_...ement_syndrome

Trump derangement syndrome (TDS) is a term for criticism or negative reactions to United States President Donald Trump that are perceived to be irrational, and have little regard towards Trump's actual policy positions, or actions undertaken by his administration. The term has mainly been used by Trump supporters to discredit criticism of his actions, as a way of reframing the discussion by suggesting that his opponents are incapable of accurately perceiving the world. Journalists have used the term to call for restraint when judging Trump's statements and actions.
            That's what
            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I've been watching this term get tossed around regularly, including having it aimed at me. I'm somewhat curious to do a bit of a self assessment. That will necessarily start with a decent definition of the term. Can someone offer one?

My goal is to determine 1) if I have TDS, and if I do, 2a) how did I get it and 2b) is that a bad thing?
              If you thought the Existential Threat was going to destroy America, you might have TDS.

If you still think Trump colluded with the pesky Putin, you might have TDS.

If you think CNN is a good news source, you might have TDS.

The effects of TDS are better understood.

It is a little like the Observer effect, you can tell by the interaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_...ement_syndrome

Trump derangement syndrome (TDS) is a term for criticism or negative reactions to United States President Donald Trump that are perceived to be irrational, and have little regard towards Trump's actual policy positions, or actions undertaken by his administration. The term has mainly been used by Trump supporters to discredit criticism of his actions, as a way of reframing the discussion by suggesting that his opponents are incapable of accurately perceiving the world. Journalists have used the term to call for restraint when judging Trump's statements and actions.
                That wiki definition was written by someone with a mild-to-moderate case of TDS.

In my experience, it's not a way of "reframing the discussion" but tends to be thrown out when a discussion is going nowhere, because the Trump critic is too emotional to be rational.

Comment

I don't like to accuse a person of TDS because ... well, I just don't. People can be grumpy one day and fine the next, so I don't like applying labels.

But in cases where a Trump critic is too emotional to make any sense then that would be where I would use the term.

IMO, you have TDS if every time you think about Trump your vision gets blurry and you lose concentration.

Comment

If Trump is such a crazy man, why isn't it HIS followers who are doing the rioting and protesting and destruction of statues and looting and burning....

People Hate Trump so much it drives them to do violent and stupid things. They they say HE'S the crazy.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is a term used by Trump lovers, Repubs, the Christian Right, and like-minded nutters, to disparage realists.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        It is a term used by Trump lovers, Repubs, the Christian Right, and like-minded nutters, to disparage realists.
                        You calling anyone a nutter is comic gold...
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

To be fair, it's mostly just a trollish reversal of the actual syndrome which plagued Republicans from 2008 to 2016...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            To be fair, it's mostly just a trollish reversal of the actual syndrome which plagued Republicans from 2008 to 2016...
                            To be fair, the term was coined by Charles Krauthammer with the left's psychotic obsession with misrepresenting everything Bush Jr. said and did.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It's always so fun to see you, ff.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment