Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas hospitals are running out of drugs, beds, ventilators and even staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    A sample of 1 out of (FWICT) 407 is an abysmally small sampling and drawing conclusions from it appear to be a recipe for disaster.
    I won't do that then. Unfortunately, 1 sample is all I've seen.

Edited to add: Having thought about it, I suspect the number of ICU beds cited by CP (~1300) may be for the entire state, or some area of the state,, not just one hospital. Unfortunately I can't find it now.

Calling CP?
    Last edited by Roy; 07-16-2020, 08:50 AM.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Never mind - I've just found the Texas Medical centre website. Their data on ICU bed usage is collated from multiple hospitals, and currently shows 51% of existing ICU beds and 8% of planned expansion of ICU capacity occupied by COVID patients.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        IIRC only 15% of ICU beds in Texas are occupied by those suffering from the Chicom coronavirus. Most of the rest are filled with folks with cancer or circulatory (primarily heart) issues who were either forced to delay treatment or who elected to postpone due to fear of contracting it.
        It's really weird - I'm a hospital chaplain, and get updates from rural hospitals, mainly, but also have connections to Harris county hospital chaplains. They're scratching their heads at where these 'statistics' come from, because they're actually walking the halls and looking into rooms, and not seeing it.

The FACT is that hospitals get federal funding for COVID related cases, so the assumption is that maybe there are cases that are reported as "covid" if there's even the slightest possible link to Covid.

I was in our own local hospital Wednesday morning, and it looked totally "business as usual". One of our members was in a neighboring "big city" hospital for a TIA, and she reports the same thing.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Plus, I just took my wife to MD Anderson on Tuesday for her cancer screening, and knew ahead of time that I wouldn't be allowed in, so I was prepared to go on a gas grill shopping excursion.

When we pulled up to the 'patient dropoff' area, a hospital staffer asked me if I was going to wait for her, and suggested there was FREE PARKING in the basement.
          Anybody who knows anything at all about parking in the medical district in Houston knows that parking is usually a MINIMUM of $15 for up to 8 hours, IF you can find a parking spot.

They usually operate a very busy valet service for off-site parking, but valet was also closed. EMPTY.

My wife was supposed to be "all day" with an appointment in the morning, tests and screenings, then another appointment at 1 PM.
          She was done in less than an hour with EVERYTHING, and told me it was "like a ghost town in there".

The parking garage was nearly empty.

I know this is only anecdotal, but when you see these screaming "HOSPITALS IN HOUSTON ARE OVERFLOWING" headlines, then drive around the hospital district --- it's like, say WHAT?!?!?!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            I won't do that then. Unfortunately, 1 sample is all I've seen.

Edited to add: Having thought about it, I suspect the number of ICU beds cited by CP (~1300) may be for the entire state, or some area of the state,, not just one hospital. Unfortunately I can't find it now.

Calling CP?
            Hey, Roy.

It's just weird.

One more "anecdotal". My daughter is a Hospice Nurse, fully qualified for COVID care, and her team frequently gets updates from Houston Hospitals asking for nurses who can work shifts.
            The pay for those is EASILY $150-300 per shift CASH MONEY, and has been an excellent "second job" when my daughter wants to pay off school debt put some money aside for vacation or whatever.

Lately (the last 4 or 5 weeks) there have been ZERO such "extra shift" opportunities available.

If there's this YUGE shortage of hospital staff...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
              I believe there's news out of Florida, to the effect that hospitals are full. Period.

Also that if Florida were classified as a country, it'd have the 8th highest infection rate in the world.
              Actually Florida, if it were a country, it would rank 4th in the world in infection rate. Italy which has a population 3 or 4 times that of Florida has only about 200 or 300 new cases a day, whereas Florida has over 10,000 new cases a day, over 15,000 cases 3 days ago. Florida's Republican Governor Desanto's has been following Trumps recommendations and them's the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Yesterday CP posted a status update from one Texas hospital that showed about 50% of normal ICU bed occupancy by COVID patients, with the result that they were increasing their ICU capacity to cope with the load.
                Here's why I really question all the hype about COVID.

Yes, I know, it's real.
                But it REALLY DOES seem to be that the media is trying to make it sound far worse than it is.

Besides the examples I've already given (and, yeah, they're technically anecdotal), I also know from my own daughter than in HER world (Hospice) there is a particular emphasis on "coding" that tends to favor 'increasing the numbers' for COVID.

Many of you are familiar with "coding" --- when you go to the doctor or hospital or ER, everything gets "coded" for billing and insurance purposes.
                Since much of this is Medicare, and doctors are not stupid, they know that "coding" a "cold" one way yields a certain payoff, but "coding" it another way may increase the payoff.

I was on a hospital board back in the 90's, and one of the BIGGIES during board meetings was "medicare recoupment".
                Medicare people would come in at least quarterly and do an audit - they'd be looking for ANY opportunity to "recoup" money already given to the hospital for services rendered.
                A YUGE risk was any 'errors' in "coding" where something just didn't seem logical to have been coded a certain way, when a treatment didn't match the coding.
                Anything.

The doctors/hospital/clincs would do their best to maximize the income from insurance and medicare, and medicare would do its best to minimize the payments to the hospital.

It's like when you do your taxes --- you want to minimize your tax burden as much as possible, but when you're buying a home, you want to maximize your income as much as possible.
                It's a numbers game all the way around.

I'm just seeing some really flaky numbers that don't match the situation on the ground around me.

Comment

Official guidelines say you don't even need a positive test to list someone as having China flu. The doctor merely has to suspect it based on symptoms or based on a patient's contact with another person who is suspected to have it. This is why certain bodies are pushing for contact tracing, because it will greatly increase the number of "potential" cases.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Here's why I really question all the hype about COVID.

Yes, I know, it's real.
                    But it REALLY DOES seem to be that the media is trying to make it sound far worse than it is.

Besides the examples I've already given (and, yeah, they're technically anecdotal), I also know from my own daughter than in HER world (Hospice) there is a particular emphasis on "coding" that tends to favor 'increasing the numbers' for COVID.

Many of you are familiar with "coding" --- when you go to the doctor or hospital or ER, everything gets "coded" for billing and insurance purposes.
                    Since much of this is Medicare, and doctors are not stupid, they know that "coding" a "cold" one way yields a certain payoff, but "coding" it another way may increase the payoff.

I was on a hospital board back in the 90's, and one of the BIGGIES during board meetings was "medicare recoupment".
                    Medicare people would come in at least quarterly and do an audit - they'd be looking for ANY opportunity to "recoup" money already given to the hospital for services rendered.
                    A YUGE risk was any 'errors' in "coding" where something just didn't seem logical to have been coded a certain way, when a treatment didn't match the coding.
                    Anything.

The doctors/hospital/clincs would do their best to maximize the income from insurance and medicare, and medicare would do its best to minimize the payments to the hospital.

It's like when you do your taxes --- you want to minimize your tax burden as much as possible, but when you're buying a home, you want to maximize your income as much as possible.
                    It's a numbers game all the way around.

I'm just seeing some really flaky numbers that don't match the situation on the ground around me.
                    Not sure why what you are seeing on the ground is out of sync with reports, BUT, we do have reports that some texas hospitals have called for refrigerated trucks to hold dead bodies as morgues reach capacity, must as had to be done in New York:

https://fox6now.com/2020/07/14/refri...ovid-19-surge/
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      Not sure why what you are seeing on the ground is out of sync with reports, BUT, we do have reports that some texas hospitals have called for refrigerated trucks to hold dead bodies as morgues reach capacity, must as had to be done in New York:

Read the article. It says that hospitals don't actually need the additional capacity but the state gov is asking them to prepare for a worst case scenario anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Read the article. It says that hospitals don't actually need the additional capacity but the state gov is asking them to prepare for a worst case scenario anyway.
                        And why do you think they are preparing now for the worst case scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

So, do I believe "reports", or my own lying eyes, and actual eye-witness reports who I personally know and trust?

Jim, it would be a lot easier to believe these media 'reports' if it weren't for the fact that these are the very same people constantly at war with Trump (not that he's innocent in that war, himself - he's certainly not").

And morgues reaching or exceeding capacity is not surprising at all, as they were never designed for mass casualties. There were already backups at morgues because morgues are simply not built for large numbers.
                          Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-16-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            We've been through this before with the hospital ship, the makeshift hospitals that were never used..... it's anticipation of a worst case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              And morgues reaching or exceeding capacity is not surprising at all, as they were never designed for mass casualties. There were already backups at morgues because morgues are simply not built for large numbers.
                              So, I did a little checking on this, and I find reports like
                              As Texas morgues fill up, refrigerator trucks are on the way in several counties

Note "in several counties". Texas has 254 counties. That's a pretty small sample size, no? "several" out of 254?

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                Because governments have been over reacting since day one.

Comment