Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas hospitals are running out of drugs, beds, ventilators and even staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    To be clear, it's not my thread, so I have no authority to demand it stop, which is why I was merely asking.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Abracadabra has asked to me stop posting, however. I suppose that will cause some of you to find it a bit more likely that Abracadabra is a deity.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
      Thanks for pointing that out.
      Sure! Just wanted to be clear.

Abracadabra has asked to me stop posting, however.
      The thread starter was DivineOb.

I suppose that will cause some of you to find it a bit more likely that Abracadabra is a deity.
      I'm missing something.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Texas amy pass NEw York and California.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/us/texas-starr-county-hospital-coronavirus/index.html

A Texas hospital overwhelmed by the coronavirus may send some patients home to die
        By Nicole Chavez and Kay Jones, CNN

Updated 9:02 PM ET, Fri July 24, 2020

Texas hospital overwhelmed by coronavirus may send patients home 01:10
        (CNN)Doctors at a Texas hospital along the US-Mexico border may decide to send coronavirus patients "home to die by their loved ones" due to limited resources, officials say.

Government and health officials in Starr County announced this week they are creating committees to review patients' cases at the Starr County Memorial Hospital in Rio Grande City. At least 50% of the patients admitted in the hospital's emergency room have tested positive for Covid-19, Dr. Jose Vasquez, the county's health authority, said in a news conference earlier this week.

"The situation is desperate," he said.

This rural South Texas county began seeing an increase in positive cases about a month ago, Vasquez said, and the hospital admitted its first Covid-19 patient at that time.
        The hospital quickly filled the eight beds in its Covid-19 unit, so it expanded to 17 and then 29 beds, Vasquez said. About 33 medical workers, including medical practitioners and lab technicians, were deployed by the state to assist the hospital.
        "Unfortunately, Starr County Memorial Hospital has limited resources and our doctors are going to have to decide who receives treatment, and who is sent home to die by their loved ones," Starr County Judge Eloy Vera wrote in a Facebook post on Thursday. "This is what we did not want our community to experience."
        Vasquez said it was a difficult decision to start reviewing the cases but with limited resources, officials have to consider who has a *the best chance* of survival.
        "Those patients who most certainly don't have any hope of improving, we believe they are better taken care of within their own family in the love of their own home rather than thousands of miles away, dying in a hospital room alone," Vasquez said.
        At least 40 new coronavirus cases were reported on Thursday in Starr County, bringing the county's total to 1,701. There have been 17 deaths linked to the virus and 32 others are pending state confirmation, local health officials said.
        "When we talk about people who have died in our community, we are talking about uncles, cousins, siblings, a coworker, a relative," Vasquez said. "We are talking about people who had a close relationship with any of us one way or another."
        An estimated 64,000 people live in Starr County, according to data by the US Census Bureau.
        The pandemic surge has been particularly hard along the Texas-Mexico border. Starr County's neighbor, Hidalgo County, has turned into one of the state's main coronavirus hotspots.
        Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced on Sunday that five US Navy teams were being deploying to South Texas to help combat the spread of the virus.
        A new shelter-at-home order began Friday in Starr County, nearly three months after Gov. Abbott ended the state's stay-at-home order, allowing businesses to reopen at limited capacity. Texas was one of the first states to reopen its economy.

The county's order is set to remain in place until August 10 and requires residents to shelter at home, including those who live in hotels, motels and shared rentals.
        A mandatory curfew was also issued from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. for anyone over 18 years and from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. for residents 17 years and under unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.

"Our backs are against the wall," Judge Vera, who signed the order, said in a news conference. "We are literally in a life and death situation."

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Texas amy pass NEw York and California.
          What the article does not reveal is that this is yet another "little Mexico" along the border, controlled by the drug cartel. It is a transshipment point for drugs, and controlled by the cartel. VERY sad news, but not at all representative of the other 253 counties in Texas.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What the article does not reveal is that this is yet another "little Mexico" along the border, controlled by the drug cartel. It is a transshipment point for drugs, and controlled by the cartel. VERY sad news, but not at all representative of the other 253 counties in Texas.

Changing the subject and 'passing the buck' does not help your case. Actually the origin of the COVID 19 pandemic in Mexico and the Latin Americans in Texas is most likely the good old USA. The virus does not know boundaries.

The hospitals all accross the South, and West are facing similar problems.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-25-2020, 07:27 AM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
              I'm not sure why you consider that curious. It's pretty widely known, at least among atheists.

Consider the following four types:

1) A theist who wants to convince others there is a God.
              2) An atheist who wants to convince others there aren't any gods.
              3) A theist who doesn't try to convince others there is a God.
              4) An atheist who doesn't try to convince others there aren't any gods.

The first two types have a burden of proof. The other two types don't. (I happen to be type 4, and the theists I get along with best are type 3.)

You can have confidence in your worldview without feeling a pressing need to change other people's worldviews to match yours.
              That is not a distinction of beliefs, just a distinction of practices.

Or another way to say it is 4 becomes 2 when he must open his mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
                That is not a distinction of beliefs, just a distinction of practices.
                So? If someone is content to let others believe what they want, he has no burden of proof, regardless of what he himself believes.

Or another way to say it is 4 becomes 2 when he must open his mouth.
                Actually, 4 can open his mouth as much as he wants, even to voice his opinion that there are no gods, but he only become 2 when he expects others to agree with him that there are no gods.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Changing the subject and 'passing the buck' does not help your case.
                  Shuny, it's not "changing the subject" to add background to THE SUBJECT. And I'm really tired of this "does not help your case" crap. I don't have "a case".

And what "passing the buck" is there?

Actually the origin of the COVID 19 pandemic in Mexico and the Latin Americans in Texas is most likely the good old USA. The virus does not know boundaries.
                  Source?

The hospitals all accross the South, and West are facing similar problems.
                  No, they're not. Or they wouldn't have cherry picked this BORDER COMMUNITY where life is controlled by the drug cartels.

Comment

So? If someone is content to let others believe what they want, he has no burden of proof, regardless of what he himself believes.
                    Actually, 4 can open his mouth as much as he wants, even to voice his opinion that there are no gods, but he only become 2 when he expects others to agree with him that there are no gods.
                    So now you are saying the atheist has no burden, unless he has a secret desire for others to believe him. It is getting more strange, this burden of proof thingy.

Comment

So now you are saying the atheist has no burden, unless he has a secret desire for others to believe him. It is getting more strange, this burden of proof thingy.
                      I said nothing about it being a secret.

If someone says, "I don't believe there is a God," then he does not have a burden of proof.

If instead he says, "You are wrong to believe there is a God," then he does have a burden of proof.

There is a gray area, of course. If someone says, "It's clear there is no God," then he may mean "It's clear to me" or he may mean "It should be clear to you." You'll have to figure it out from context, or ask him what he means.

Comment

I said nothing about it being a secret.

If someone says, "I don't believe there is a God," then he does not have a burden of proof.

If instead he says, "You are wrong to believe there is a God," then he does have a burden of proof.

There is a gray area, of course. If someone says, "It's clear there is no God," then he may mean "It's clear to me" or he may mean "It should be clear to you." You'll have to figure it out from context, or ask him what he means.
                        I don't need to ask, it is readily apparent already by reading someone's words. Whether they themselves have come to grips what they say is a different matter.

I don't believe this silliness when it comes to discovering a man's Creator. The burden of proof rests upon every man. I am not burdened by you, you are not burdened by me. You are burdened to find the answer for yourself.

The more interesting thing is does tweb have an atheist here that fits your personal definition?

Comment

I don't need to ask, it is readily apparent already by reading someone's words. Whether they themselves have come to grips what they say is a different matter.

I don't believe this silliness when it comes to discovering a man's Creator. The burden of proof rests upon every man. I am not burdened by you, you are not burdened by me. You are burdened to find the answer for yourself.
                          Perhaps, but I can come to a conclusion without expecting you to come to the same conclusion. And I don't have to prove anything to myself.

The more interesting thing is does tweb have an atheist here that fits your personal definition?
                          I decided a long time ago that I can't prove there are no gods, at least not well enough to convince someone to change his mind if he thinks there is a God. So I don't bother to try. I also don't generally express my viewpoint, unless someone expects me to believe there is a God, or asks me for my opinion.

I will occasionally get involved in a discussion about the existence of God, but only to the extent of pointing out bad arguments. And if someone uses something about God as a premise in some argument, I will point out that the premise carries no weight with me.

Comment

Shuny, it's not "changing the subject" to add background to THE SUBJECT. And I'm really tired of this "does not help your case" crap. I don't have "a case".

And what "passing the buck" is there?

Source?

No, they're not. Or they wouldn't have cherry picked this BORDER COMMUNITY where life is controlled by the drug cartels.
                            Yes they are.

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-hospitals-face-icu-bed-shortage-state-passes-300-000-n1233899

Florida hospitals face ICU bed shortage as state passes 300,000 COVID-19 cases
                            More than 77,000 cases were logged just in the last seven days, according to the Florida Department of Health.

By Nigel Chiwaya and Corky Siemaszko
                            Florida was running out of ICU beds at numerous hospitals Wednesday as COVID-19 cases continued to pile up by the tens of thousands and the Trump administration appeared powerless to stop it.

In Oklahoma, Gov. Kevin Stitt, a Republican who caught flak for posting a photo of himself eating with his kids in a crowded restaurant while COVID-19 was spreading through his state, announced Wednesday that he had tested positive for the virus.

The 67,507 new cases reported across the country Tuesday was the second highest daily number since the start of the pandemic, and states like Wisconsin (4,407), Nevada (1,104), Oklahoma (993) and Alaska (360) shattered their previous records for numbers of cases recorded in a single day.

The death toll nationwide as of Wednesday morning was 137,403 and climbing, with 3,454,352 cases reported, according to the latest NBC News tally.

Four states in particular — Florida, Texas, Arizona and California — continued to account for most of the new cases and deaths.

Florida, where the Republican convention is scheduled to be held next month, passed a dismal benchmark Wednesday with more than 300,000 cases of COVID-19 reported since the start of the pandemic.

More than 77,000 cases were logged just in the last seven days, bringing the total number in the state to 301,629, according to the Florida Department of Health.

There were also 112 more deaths, putting the state on track to hit 5,000 COVID-19 fatalities, the NBC News numbers showed.

Tuesday was the second deadliest day of the pandemic in Florida, with 133 fatalities — the most since July 1 when 145 were recorded, the new figures show.

Finding a bed for all those sick people became increasingly harder with the Agency for Health Care Administration reporting that 54 hospitals in the state now have zero available beds in their intensive care units and another 40 hospitals have less than 10 percent bed availability in their ICUs.

Ten of the hospitals where no ICU beds are left are in Miami-Dade, the most populous county in Florida and the state’s top coronavirus hotspot.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has taken heat for his handling of the crisis, stoked more anger recently by referring to the rising case numbers as a"blip."

In other developments:

President Donald Trump, who earlier this month predicted the plague would "just disappear," tried again to put a positive spin on the increasingly dire situation. "We’re doing well in a lot of ways, and our country is coming back very strong," Trump insisted before boarding Marine One Wednesday. "When you look at those job numbers -- we’ve never had job numbers like we have right now. So it’s coming back very strongly." Trump appeared to be referring to federal jobs figures released earlier this month which showed the U.S. economy in June clawed back 4.8 million of the 22 million jobs that were lost when the coronavirus crisis hit.
                            Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, defended himself amid the White House's attempts to discredit him, calling the attacks "bizarre" in an interview with The Atlantic. “Ultimately, it hurts the president to do that,” Fauci said this week. “When the staff lets out something like that and the entire scientific and press community push back on it, it ultimately hurts the president.” An op-ed by Trump's top trade adviser, Peter Navarro, published Tuesday claimed Fauci "has been wrong about everything I have interacted with him on" (the White House later tried to distance itself from Navarro's column). Asked about Navarro, Fauci told the Atlantic, “I can't explain Peter Navarro. He's in a world by himself.”
                            Fauci got another shout-out of support from another powerful Republican. This time it was Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who said he had "total" confidence in Fauci. The doctor later appeared with Vice President Mike Pence at a Coronavirus Task Force meeting.
                            Dr. Robert Redfield, the head of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, raised eyebrows by claiming that the surge of cases sweeping through the southern states may have been caused by northerners visiting over the Memorial Day weekend.“If you look at the South, everything happened around June 12 to June 16,” he said in an interview Tuesday with Dr. Howard Bauchner of The Journal of the American Medical Association. "It all simultaneously kind of popped." Redfield did not back his claim with any scientific data.
                            Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced that the Defense Department was sending reinforcements -- a U.S. Army Urban Augmentation Medical Task Force unit -- to the hard-hit Rio Grande Valley. There patients are being quarantined in local hotels to save on scarce hospital beds.
                            "These teams, coupled with our newly established partnership with local hotels, will aid in our efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 and ensure adequate hospital capacity in the Valley," Abbott said.

Stitt, whose mantra was “business as usual” at the start of the pandemic, was at Trump’s rally in Tulsa last month where he was photographed not wearing a mask.

While Stitt gave no indication where he caught the bug, a number of Trump campaign staffers and others tested positive after attending the rally. And he said he has no plans to roll back Oklahoma's reopening.

Stitt's admission came on the same day that Oklahoma logged a single-day high 993 new coronavirus cases, the NBC News figures show. So far that state has reported a total of 428 deaths and 21,738 confirmed infections.

Medical experts say the main culprit behind the recent spike in COVID-19 cases appear to be younger people who don’t wear masks in public or practice social distancing.

In a televised address to the state, Gov. Mike DeWine warned that if Ohio does not act now "Florida and Arizona will be our future."

"This is not a drill, this is certainly not any hoax," DeWine said. "I'm asking each of you, wherever you live, to wear a mask every time you go out in public."

Until now, DeWine had stopped short of issuing a state-wide mask-wearing directive, fearing push back from the GOP majority in the legislature that had resisted his moves to curb coronavirus by closing down Ohio.

"Sacrifice today for a better tomorrow," DeWine said. "This virus will end...and don't we all want to be around when it does?"

DeWine also voiced concern that meetups with friends and family could have dire consequences.

Ohio governor: ‘Wear a mask every time you go out in public’

JULY 15, 202003:01
                            "Will the family reunion be worth it if your grandmother tests positive and dies? Will the neighborhood cookout be worth it if your neighbor ends up alone, on a ventilator, in the ICU? Will the play date be worth it, if the kids can’t go back to school in the fall?"

Ohio is not the only state where the new coronavirus patients are trending younger.

“We certainly have seen a shift,” Dr. Jeff Smith, chief operating officer at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, told MSNBC. “Early on in March and April, during our earlier peaks, we were seeing patients primarily in their 80s and 90s who were very, very ill. Now the majority of our hospitalized patients are between ages 40 and 50.”

While these younger patients tend to recover faster, the concern is they could infect “younger populations, or vulnerable populations, and transmit to the sick and the elderly,” Smith said.

Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-26-2020, 04:11 PM.

Frank

Comment

• Concerning Mexico the first cases came from Italy and the USA.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Mexico

February–March 2020
                              On February 28, Mexico confirmed its first three cases. A 35-year-old man and a 59-year-old man in Mexico City and a 41-year-old man in the northern state of Sinaloa tested positive and were held in isolation at a hospital and a hotel, respectively. They had travelled to Bergamo, Italy, for a week in mid-February.[17][18][2][19] On February 29, a fourth case was detected and confirmed in the city of Torreón, in the state of Coahuila, from a 20-year-old woman who traveled to Italy.[20]

On March 1, a fifth case was announced in Chiapas in a student who had just returned from Italy.[21] On March 6, a sixth case was confirmed in the State of Mexico in a 71-year-old man who had returned from Italy on February 21.[22]

On March 7, a seventh case was also confirmed in Mexico City in a 46-year-old male who had previously had contact with another confirmed case in the United States.[23]

On March 10, an eighth case was reported in Puebla, a 47-year-old German man who had returned from a business trip to Italy.[24] On the same date, 40 members of a dance company in Puebla, returning from a tour in Italy, were quarantined.[25] The Mexican Stock Exchange fell to a record low on March 10 due to fears of the coronavirus and because of falling oil prices. The Bank of Mexico (Banxico) stepped in to prop up the value of the peso, which fell 14% to 22.929 per US dollar.[26]

On March 11, a ninth case was confirmed in the city of Monterrey, Nuevo León. A 57-year-old man, who had recently come back from a trip all across Europe, was placed under quarantine. The man, who has remained anonymous, came back from his trip a week before and had contact with eight other people who have also been placed under quarantine in their houses. The man has been confirmed to reside in the city of San Pedro Garza García.[27]

On March 12, Mexico announced it had a total of 15 confirmed cases, with new cases in Puebla and Durango.[28] A day later, senator Samuel García Sepúlveda [es] accused the federal government of hiding the true number of confirmed cases.[29]

On March 14, Fernando Petersen, the secretary of health of the state of Jalisco, confirmed the first two cases of COVID-19 were detected in Hospital Civil de Guadalajara.[30] Two new cases were confirmed in Nuevo León, and the Secretariat of Public Education (SEP) announced that all sporting and civic events in schools would be canceled.[31] The same day, the Secretariat of Education announced that Easter break, originally planned from April 6 to 17, would be extended from March 20 to April 20 as a preventive measure.[32]

On March 17, 11 new cases were confirmed, raising the national total to 93, with Campeche being the only state with no confirmed cases.[33] Mexico's limited response, including allowing a large concert and the women's soccer championship, as well as a lack of testing, have been criticized. Critics note that president López Obrador does not practice social distancing but continues to greet large crowds, and the borders have not been closed. Of particular concern is the health of thousands of migrants in temporary camps along the border with the United States. The former national commissioner for influenza in Mexico during the 2009 flu pandemic, Alejandro Macías, said the problem is compounded by the fact that Mexico lacks sufficient intensive care unit beds, medical care workers and ventilators.[34]

The spread of COVID-19 is not due to Mexicans. It came there from Italy and the USA.

Can you cite a source that identifies the Latin Americans as the source of the Virus in South Texas.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-26-2020, 04:28 PM.

Frank

Comment

• the hospitals will have to start hiring back the people they laid off due to coronavirus.

Comment