Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas hospitals are running out of drugs, beds, ventilators and even staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    Insults in lieu of a substantive response. You must be a right-wing TWeb conservative...

Your implication that mathematics are to help you to think critically is false.
    OK, so here's a quote from...

African Journal of
    Mathematics and Computer Science Research

So, if you disagree with this one, you're a RACIST!!!

Critical thinking: Essence for teaching mathematics and mathematics problem solving skills

Abstract

Critical thinking is a learned skill that requires instruction and practice. Mathematics education instructors at both the secondary and post-secondary levels can enhance students’ critical thinking skills by (i) using instructional strategies that actively engage students in the learning process rather than relying on lecture and note memorization, (ii) focusing instruction on the process of learning rather than solely on the content, and (iii) using assessment techniques that provide students with an intellectual challenge rather than memory recall. Several barriers can impede critical thinking instruction. Lack of training, limited resources, biased preconceptions and time constraints conspire to negate learning environments that promote critical thinking. However, actively engaging students in project-based or collaborative activities can encourage students’ critical thinking development if instructors model the thinking process, use effective questioning techniques and guide students’ critical thinking processes. The examples provided challenge instructors to think of students as users of information rather than receivers of information. ‘It is possible to store the mind with a million facts and still be entirely uneducated.’’

Full Text PDF here
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      Does math block you from organizing problems so that you can solve them?

I'm starting to think that you are opposing me due to an inclination to oppose me rather than for logical reasons.

That's all logic there, Spanky.

Comment

That's all logic there, Spanky.
        First, you're responding to the wrong guy.
        Second, did MW say that math is ONLY for the purpose of teaching critical thinking? That's what you seem to be arguing against.
        Because maths certainly are used to help teach critical thinking.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          First, you're responding to the wrong guy.
          Second, did MW say that math is ONLY for the purpose of teaching critical thinking? That's what you seem to be arguing against.
          Because maths certainly are used to help teach critical thinking.
          I even tried to reverse the question but that also didn't work.

Maybe he went to school where the teachers would slap a ruler on your hands for bad behavior. so he got a dislike for Math because of that ... and figured Math was just about compelling people to be obedient.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            I even tried to reverse the question but that also didn't work.

Maybe he went to school where the teachers would slap a ruler on your hands for bad behavior. so he got a dislike for Math because of that ... and figured Math was just about compelling people to be obedient.
            I'm just trying to be sure I understand the argument - I thought maybe he was trying to worm his way out of being wrong by wording it in such a way that you were claiming that math was ONLY for the purpose of.....

It's SILLY to think that math doesn't help critical thinking. I LOVE maths.

Comment

You only say due to your inability to think critically.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I'm anxious to see how he worms his way out of this goofiness. He's wrong - factually clearly wrong.

I'll bet you $1.37 (that's all I got on me) he won't admit he was wrong!

Comment

No it's not. It's just so central to yours that you cannot imagine how to some-one else it might be on a par with whether Zeus throws lightning.

And you bear the burden of proving his existence. Since your deity is far more important to you than to me, since my reasons for not accepting your gods existence are largely based on you and your ilk's inability to agree on what your god is, let alone provide any evidence or argument for it, and since you declared you knew your god existed before I said he didn't, you can go first.

I'm not falling for your stupid
                  - "God is real!"
                  - "No it isn't"
                  - "Ha! You need to prove that"
                  burden shifting nonsense.
                  So you're saying that God's non-existence is not a central tenet of atheism? How very curious.

Also, your notion that the burden of proof exists exclusively on one side of the argument is another game that intellectually dishonest atheists like to play. In fact, the burden of proof rests on both parties: on the theist to make a positive case for God's existence, and on the atheist to make a positive case for God's non-existence. But, no, atheists are inherently cowards who want to make the theist do all the heavy lifting while they idly wave from the sidelines and say, "Humph! You've not convinced me, so I'm right by default!"

If you had any coincidence in your worldview at all, you would have no problem being the first to strike out in a debate and present your case. To that end, I have to at least respect the intellectual honesty of the late Douglas Adams who called himself a "radical atheist" and had no problem with "going first", even if his arguments weren't substantially better than any others I've heard (his basic argument was that the existence of God requires too much explanation to be plausible).
                  You should read posts before replying to them. I didn't say the burden of proof was exclusively on one side, but the opposite; I was talking about my worldview, not just atheism; and you might have had a chance to understand that atheism is about all gods, not just your God.

You should also read your own posts before sending them. Otherwise you'd have realised that since you haven't presented your case, you have effectively admitted that you have no "coincidence" in your own worldview.
                  Last edited by Roy; 07-29-2020, 10:10 AM.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I'm anxious to see how he worms his way out of this goofiness. He's wrong - factually clearly wrong.

I'll bet you $1.37 (that's all I got on me) he won't admit he was wrong!
                    Provide references that document this.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Coming from you, that's genuinely pretty funny.

Comment

Coming from you, that's genuinely pretty funny.
                        More like tragic.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          My goodness, I believe Shuny made a self-deprecating joke!

Comment

In that case, it's a stupid question.
                            There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Laughing hard --- MR DuckBobWeave is asking for PROOF"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Dear Atheists, do you KNOW there is no God, or just BELIEVE there is no God?
                                It really depends on which particular version of "God" you're referring to, and which shade or meaning of "know" you apply. But I know that some Xtian versions of "God" don't exist in the same way that I know that there isn't a giraffe in my office.

Comment