Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas hospitals are running out of drugs, beds, ventilators and even staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, I did a little checking on this, and I find reports like
    As Texas morgues fill up, refrigerator trucks are on the way in several counties

Note "in several counties". Texas has 254 counties. That's a pretty small sample size, no? "several" out of 254?
    The headline is false. It's the same thing ox posted, that the trucks are being sent out just in case. The report even mentions one hospital ordering a truck and then sending it away without ever using it, and a spokesman for Houston said they have plenty of room in their morgues.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The headline is false. It's the same thing ox posted, that the trucks are being sent out just in case. The report even mentions one hospital ordering a truck and then sending it away without ever using it, and a spokesman for Houston said they have plenty of room in their morgues.
      It's crazy --- and I just found out a few minutes ago that part of it is FEMA pushing their "assistance" on municipalities.... just like they did when we had a disastrous "Memorial Day Flood" three years ago -- they promised reimbursement for all kinds of things, and our help center spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on "reimbursable expenditures", only to discover how hard it is to get blood from a turnip.

Same with assistance during Katrina, when thousands of people moved to our community, and FEMA promised reimbursement.....
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I sense a new tourism slogan: "Come visit Houston. We have plenty of room in our morgues."

h.jpg
        Last edited by DivineOb; 07-16-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Read the article. It says that hospitals don't actually need the additional capacity but the state gov is asking them to prepare for a worst case scenario anyway.
          So, the "news" keeps propagating....

As COVID-19 deaths fill morgues in Texas, officials ask for refrigerated trucks

When you read the article, it's TWO TRUCKS to San Antonio.

In Bexar County, home to San Antonio, two refrigerated trucks are already prepared for use and three more are expected to be ready by the end of the week, KSAT reported. Each trailer can hold between 24 and 36 bodies.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/c...#storylink=cpy

No "officials" are named as doing the "requesting", though THAT is the headline.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
            I sense a new tourism slogan: "Come visit Houston. We have plenty of room in our morgues."
            What an incredibly sick mind.

Comment

Read the article. It says that hospitals don't actually need the additional capacity but the state gov is asking them to prepare for a worst case scenario anyway.
              Yes, it is always wise to get the needed resources in place before you need them. That keeps dead bodies from having no place to go and rotting in some room unable to be kept at the proper temperature.

The fact they need to mobilize those resources is an indication of the reality of the problem MM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Yes, it is always wise to get the needed resources in place before you need them. That keeps dead bodies from having no place to go and rotting in some room unable to be kept at the proper temperature.

The fact they need to mobilize those resources is an indication of the reality of the problem MM.
                In other words, you didn't even bother to read your own source. You just ran with the deceptive headline.

The fact is that morgues are NOT filling up.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

In other words, you didn't even bother to read your own source. You just ran with the deceptive headline.

The fact remains that 8 of the last 9 days have been the days with the greatest number of COVID45 deaths in Texas. Clearly this isn't sustainable.

Comment

https://fox6now.com/2020/07/14/refri...ovid-19-surge/

Source: above

... In Arizona, one Phoenix hospital has called for morgue trucks to help alleviate a rapidly growing death count due to the ongoing pandemic.

A spokesperson for Abrazo Health told FOX 10 Phoenix that while its hospitals currently have adequate morgue space, the state has asked hospitals to implement emergency plans.

“Abrazo hospitals currently have adequate morgue space. The state has requested that hospitals implement their emergency plans. Part of activating our plan includes the ability to handle overflow morgue capacity if needed. Abrazo has taken a proactive approach by ordering refrigerated storage in the event it may be needed during a surge of COVID patients,” the spokesperson said.

“At this point it is not needed. We do agree with the Mayor’s points around promoting awareness around masking, continuing to practice social distancing and seeking medical care in the event of an emergency need,” the statement continued.

Banner Health, also based in Phoenix, has a contingency plan in place for when and if their morgues reach capacity.

The Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office is also making preparations for an influx in corpses amid a COVID-19 surge in Arizona.”Our planners at Unified Command are moving toward acquiring coolers and staffing because Office of the Medical Examiner is currently near capacity for body storage. This is a situation that occurs almost every summer and is further complicated by the current pandemic,” a statement from the medical examiner’s office said. ...

© Copyright Original Source

So they are preparing for what appears to be to come. You would like to pretend this is an overreaction, but the reality is it is a prudent reaction, given the current uptick in COVID 19 cases and deaths.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The fact remains that 8 of the last 9 days have been the days with the greatest number of COVID45 deaths in Texas. Clearly this isn't sustainable.
                      It's just more of MM trying the play the pandemic issue down, with the goal of painting the situation as manufactured for political reasons rather than real.

The fact news organizations seek out sensationalized headlines to grab a reader's attention doesn't help of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        It's really weird - I'm a hospital chaplain, and get updates from rural hospitals, mainly, but also have connections to Harris county hospital chaplains. They're scratching their heads at where these 'statistics' come from, because they're actually walking the halls and looking into rooms, and not seeing it.

The FACT is that hospitals get federal funding for COVID related cases, so the assumption is that maybe there are cases that are reported as "covid" if there's even the slightest possible link to Covid.

I was in our own local hospital Wednesday morning, and it looked totally "business as usual". One of our members was in a neighboring "big city" hospital for a TIA, and she reports the same thing.
                        My cousin lives in Detroit and works at the university hospital. Detroit was one of the biggest hot spots early on, but she said her hospital was never that busy, and they had plenty of room, and they were furloughing nurses because there wasn't enough people coming to the hospital (for any reason not just COVID). They even laid her off in May.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          It's just more of MM trying the play the pandemic issue down, with the goal of painting the situation as manufactured for political reasons rather than real.

The fact news organizations seek out sensationalized headlines to grab a reader's attention doesn't help of course.
                          He definitely commits to the bit, I'll give him that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            My cousin lives in Detroit and works at the university hospital. Detroit was one of the biggest hot spots early on, but she said her hospital was never that busy, and they had plenty of room, and they were furloughing nurses because there wasn't enough people coming to the hospital (for any reason not just COVID). They even laid her off in May.
                            Please help me understand your take on this graph.

Comment

Please help me understand your take on this graph.
                              It's a drawing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                It's a drawing.
                                All those spots makes it look like measles or chicken pox

Comment