Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Covid-45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    For the same reason Sweden is to blame for being too lax. The nations who controlled the disease get credit for keeping it from spreading.

The nation of origin doesn’t matter if you bungle the response. Trump continues to bungle the response, now calling mask wearing “patriotic.”
    Thanks for helping to keep the thread on-topic.

As I said earlier, I originally had no intention of attributing the virus to the president. The problem is that he's assiduously worked towards screwing up the US response to it. He's literally branded it with his incompetence.

He deserves the blame for this country's viral ineptitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yes, Jim, that's true. You take it to a new level, though, being absolutely obsessed with hate.
      I'm not obsessed with hate, CP, I'm obsessed with a wannabe dictator sitting in the Oval office.

I'd never ask him to teach Sunday School, that's for sure.
      And you shouldn't have asked him to be your President either.

And, especially beware of s on the internet spewing forth stupidity. But I still love you, Jim -- you're amusing and harmless.
      You're the biggest troll on the site, CP. Probably why you're always accusing everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        How very myopic of you to "name" a global virus after one man in one country.
        He bears a huge responsibility for the spread of the virus as pointed out in the OP. Lies and magical thinking about miracles did not work. Way too many people have paid with their lives for the false ideas, false statements and the false "security" he promoted. Many who like to claim they are concerned about the sanctity of life seem to turn their blind eye to all the lives lost in this context. Not only that, they seem to have a problem when others are concerned about these human lives.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

All from this very thread:

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Yay. more TDS. I think we need to create a special padded room for you guys.
          Just more Trump blaming based on a tweet from 2013 that has nothing to do with this pandemic while thinking you are being clever. TDS.
          TDS. Got it.
          Look who's talking, Brit.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Michael Gerson has put some words on this topic in a piece called Trump is the king of lies

Why does lying really matter? There are, of course, compelling moral reasons. Lies exploit and abuse the trust of those around us. They sever relationships. They poison love.

But there are also practical and compelling civic reasons that truth makes a difference. As the pandemic has shown, we need reliable information to make rational, healthy choices. Deceptive optimism, distrust of experts and the circulation of myths have a human cost — measured in lost lives and delayed national recovery.

More broadly, Trump engages in a particularly ambitious form of political deception. With the help of a compliant right-wing media, he uses repeated falsehoods and conspiracy thinking to create an alternative mental universe for his strongest supporters to dwell in. Trump’s lies purposely and effectively disconnect a portion of the public from political reality. In this manufactured world, the United States is on the edge of ruin by scheming subversives. Political opponents are not fellow citizens but traitors plotting against the country. Political dialogue and shared democratic purpose become almost impossible. Such distortions are the dangerous culmination of polarization — the polarization of truth itself.

Trump’s lies are especially destructive because they are often designed to encourage dehumanization.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
              When the pandemic began to pick up speed in the US, I resisted the urge to blame the current white house administration for it. By default, a politician is as responsible for the existence of a virus as he/she is responsible for bad weather (aka. not at all).

However, it's become apparent that public resistance to mitigation efforts is encouraged by the so-called president. He refuses to take responsibility for our national response to the virus, undermines expert advice AND the experts themselves, and displays contempt for the people he meets by refusing generally to wear a mask. He lies constantly about almost every aspect of the problem. He's even missed his own standards for success in dealing with the pandemic.

He now owns this virus.

"Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible."
              ~ realdonaldtrump
              Resist no longer comrade, join the resistance, burn something down.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                He bears a huge responsibility for the spread of the virus as pointed out in the OP. Lies and magical thinking about miracles did not work. Way too many people have paid with their lives for the false ideas, false statements and the false "security" he promoted. Many who like to claim they are concerned about the sanctity of life seem to turn their blind eye to all the lives lost in this context. Not only that, they seem to have a problem when others are concerned about these human lives.
                Good morning Charles. Your sentence structure is to be admired. I hope you have a lovely day.

CP
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  I'm not obsessed with hate, CP, I'm obsessed with a wannabe dictator sitting in the Oval office.
                  OK, you're obsessed with hate for Trump, as proven by your constant attacks on his person.

And you shouldn't have asked him to be your President either.
                  I did not "ask" him to be my President. I "asked" Hillary not to. She's still blaming everybody but herself.

You're the biggest troll on the site, CP. Probably why you're always accusing everyone else.

Thanks, Jim, a merry heart doeth good like a medicine, and you provide so much merriment.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

All from this very thread:

I am glad you appreciate good posts.

Comment

It took a while to recognize this...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                        It took a while to recognize this...

You're buying what Jimmy is selling.

And YOU are here, why? For the Christian fellowship?

Jimmy!!! You finally have a follower!!!!

Comment

Michael Gerson has put some words on this topic in a piece called Trump is the king of lies
                          And he acts like Trump invented this hyper-partisanism, and that only Trump's side is engaging in it

Where's that iron E when we need it??
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            And he acts like Trump invented this hyper-partisanism, and that only Trump's side is engaging in it

My dear brudder will be along shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Oh no,Trump didn't create it, but he is exploiting it big time. Divide and conquer is his modis operandi.

Comment

Oh no,Trump didn't create it, but he is exploiting it big time. Divide and conquer is his modis operandi.
                                Have you seen Sleep Joe lately? He does the same thing, but with much less vigor. He tries.

Comment