Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

ID and coronavirus conspiracy theories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
    So, one, you're refusing to acknowledge the extensive discussions of the literature on these mutations, which show the two mutations did not have to occur simultaneously.

Second, you're attempting to apply the evolution of drug resistance to completely unrelated contexts.

Third, you're ignoring that fact that a vast number of neutral mutations always exist in all populations, and thus the raw material for evolution of new functions pre-exists the selective pressures for them.

Summing up: your definition is arbitrary and unsupported by biology.

Finally: stop listening to Behe. I won't call him a liar, because i think he's delusional enough that he believes what he's saying. But what he's saying is frequently false.
    Not only arbitrary and unsupported by the science of biology, but a caspiracy theory in its own right.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

So, one, you're refusing to acknowledge the extensive discussions of the literature on these mutations, which show the two mutations did not have to occur simultaneously.
      But mutations are statistically independent, so the probability is the same, whether the mutations occur simultaneously, or not.

Second, you're attempting to apply the evolution of drug resistance to completely unrelated contexts.
      Larry Moran would disagree...

Source: Sandwalk

There's no disagreement among evolutionary biologists about the low probability of simultaneous mutations. They all agree with Behe on that part of his argument.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Third, you're ignoring that fact that a vast number of neutral mutations always exist in all populations, and thus the raw material for evolution of new functions pre-exists the selective pressures for them.
      That apparently wasn't the case for the malaria parasite, which required some time to develop resistance.

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
        But mutations are statistically independent, so the probability is the same, whether the mutations occur simultaneously, or not.
        No, the probability of them occurring simultaneously is much lower than the probability of them occurring up to many generations apart.

With neutral mutations, they can occur many generations apart.

There's no disagreement among evolutionary biologists about the low probability of simultaneous mutations. They all agree with Behe on that part of his argument.

Source

Yes, I think we can all agree that simultaneous mutations are very improbable.

Comment

Source

LAURENCE A. MORAN is not a reliable source.

Simultaneous mutations are not necessary
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            LAURENCE A. MORAN is not a reliable source.

Simultaneous mutations are not necessary
            That's kind of what he said

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Stoic handled this.

The quote doesn't address what i said. Try again.

That apparently wasn't the case for the malaria parasite, which required some time to develop resistance.
              You don't actually know that. It's entirely possible that one or even both mutations existed in the population prior to the experience of selective pressure (malarial parasites undergo sexual reproduction, so you can have recombination events that combine separate mutations). What may have taken time was the combination becoming prevalent enough in an area with sufficient healthcare resources for us to recognize it existed.
              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                No, the probability of them occurring simultaneously is much lower than the probability of them occurring up to many generations apart.

With neutral mutations, they can occur many generations apart.
                With statistically independent events, the probability is not dependent on the timing of the events. So if you roll three dice, or if you roll one die three times, the probability of getting three 3s is the same.

Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

The quote doesn't address what i said. Try again.
                  Evolutionary biologists agree about the low probability, regardless of the context.

You don't actually know that. It's entirely possible that one or even both mutations existed in the population prior to the experience of selective pressure (malarial parasites undergo sexual reproduction, so you can have recombination events that combine separate mutations). What may have taken time was the combination becoming prevalent enough in an area with sufficient healthcare resources for us to recognize it existed.
                  Behe, as I recall, calculated the probability of the two mutations arriving after chloroquine was introduced, and it fits with the timing when resistance developed.

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

Evolutionary biologists agree about the low probability, regardless of the context.
                    Yes, he agreed that something that didn't happen is low probability.

A something that has absolutely nothing to do with whole-genome virus evolution.

Behe, as I recall, calculated the probability of the two mutations arriving after chloroquine was introduced, and it fits with the timing when resistance developed.
                    If Behe told me i was tall, i'd immediately ask for a tape measure.

With statistically independent events, the probability is not dependent on the timing of the events. So if you roll three dice, or if you roll one die three times, the probability of getting three 3s is the same.
                    Ok, this is evidence that you don't even understand Behe's argument. I mean, it's just as well, given that it's a bogus argument. But it kind of makes everything you're posting about it here a waste of space.

Comment

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      The dice aren't being rolled 3 times. They are being rolled countless times.

You roll the dice as many times as it takes for one of the three numbers to come up, and then you roll it as many times as it takes for one of the other numbers to come up, and then you roll it as many times as it takes for the third number to come up.

Simultaneous mutations would be akin to expecting the 3 numbers to be rolled sequentially.

Comment

The dice aren't being rolled 3 times. They are being rolled countless times.

You roll the dice as many times as it takes for one of the three numbers to come up, and then you roll it as many times as it takes for one of the other numbers to come up, and then you roll it as many times as it takes for the third number to come up.

Simultaneous mutations would be akin to expecting the 3 numbers to be rolled sequentially.
                        Considering how many times and in how many ways it has been explained that a sequence of mutations do not need to occur simultaneously folks like Behe cannot be ignorant of it but are instead being intentionally dishonest when they keep saying otherwise.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That would be how selectable mutations would work--but non-selectable mutations are independent.

Well, independently, so P(A and B and C) = P(A) x P(B) x P(C).

Blessings,
                          Lee

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Considering how many times and in how many ways it has been explained that a sequence of mutations do not need to occur simultaneously folks like Behe cannot be ignorant of it but are instead being intentionally dishonest when they keep saying otherwise.
                            Well, the mutations have to be simultaneously present, so simultaneous in that sense, but the probability of independent events occurring is the same, no matter when the events occur.

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

Well, the mutations have to be simultaneously present, so simultaneous in that sense, but the probability of independent events occurring is the same, no matter when the events occur.
                              Behe's whole argument is bogus, because its based on there being no selective advantage to the mutations unless both are present, which we know to be wrong.

But even if we grant him that premise for some hypothetical case, then he's got to show that the existence of neutral mutations in the population is rare, and there aren't many of them floating around. If he can't show that, then the probability of one or both of these pre-existing the arrival of selection is much higher. But, given the fact that we know neutral mutations are the most common type, and huge numbers of neutral variants exist in every population, i don't get how he could claim that.

So it's both a bad argument and based on a false premise.

And, in any case, it's a huge side track from the topic under discussion, which is that the only analysis of the coronavirus genome has been done by biologists, and not the ID crowd, because after all these years, they've not developed any tools to analyze genomes.

Comment

Blessings,
                                Lee
                                Lee, that is nothing but making up definitions to support a predetermined conclusion.

Comment