Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Mask Threat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Good for them. There are certain situations where wearing the proper kind of mask makes sense. Walking through a grocery store, or visiting your local Guitar Center are not those situations.
    Perhaps you should consider a Make America Great Again mask?

Unfortunately I fear that quite many Americans would be unable to see the irony of that.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post

Unfortunately I fear that quite many Americans would be unable to see the irony of that.
      Sure. Wear a MAGA mask and end up in the hospital anyway, beaten and bloody, from leftist thugs.

Great idea.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
        This would be more appropriate. Maybe I could put it on a t-shirt.

covid1984-big-brother-780x420.jpg
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This would be more appropriate. Maybe I could put it on a t-shirt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46998[/ATTACH]
          Your president is starting to associate wearing the mask with being a patriot. And he is asking you to do it. Pretty soon he might be watching you, MM. You don't want to wear that t-shirt the day Trump sees you, do you?
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Good for them. There are certain situations where wearing the proper kind of mask makes sense. Walking through a grocery store, or visiting your local Guitar Center are not those situations.
            Reduce the risk by buying your guitars online. This one might interest you: https://guitar.com/news/girl-in-red-...lgbtq-support/

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
              Reduce the risk by buying your guitars online. This one might interest you: https://guitar.com/news/girl-in-red-...lgbtq-support/

When I was refused entry to Guitar Center a couple months ago because I didn't have a mask, I smiled and said, "Looks like Amazon just made a sale," and walked back to my car. I think my order of drum sticks came in less than 48-hours.

If I was going to buy a guitar online, it would be from these guys:

https://www.sweetwater.com/

Of course I would never buy a guitar online. That's an instrument you have to hold and play and fall in love with before you bring it home. Each one is unique, even within the same make and model, and you won't know which one is for you until you cradle it in your arms and give it a strum.

Comment

When I was refused entry to Guitar Center a couple months ago because I didn't have a mask, I smiled and said, "Looks like Amazon just made a sale," and walked back to my car. I think my order of drum sticks came in less than 48-hours.

Of course I would never buy a guitar online. That's an instrument you have to hold and play and fall in love with before you bring it home. Each one is unique, even within the same make and model, and you won't know which one is for you until you cradle it in your arms and give it a strum.
                “Looks like Amazon just made a sale” is one of the stupidest things you could say in that situation. Whoever told you that was following orders and makes near minimum wage. His salary will not be affected by your taking your business elsewhere.

Comment

I can relate to the last part. Even though you can just send it back if you don't like it there is something not quite right about acutally buying a guitar you have never played. And then, when you get it, and you can actually return it if you don't like it, you don't have a huge line of other guitars to compare it to. It is not only a question of whether you like it or not but whether you think it is better or worse than the other guitars you could buy instead. The last part is obviously missing if you only got one guitar sent to you.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                    “Looks like Amazon just made a sale” is one of the stupidest things you could say in that situation.
                    Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Contact Theonomy on facebook (pm me if you don't know his real name) - He is making custom guitars now. And they look awesome.

Comment

• My local Walmart has just hired private security to guard the door and roam the aisles looking for people not wearing masks.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Contact Theonomy on facebook (pm me if you don't know his real name) - He is making custom guitars now. And they look awesome.
                          I'm actually not in the market for a guitar. I have a 30-year old Taylor acoustic that has aged to have a warm, mellow sound that you can't get in a new guitar. Only reason I go to music shops now is to look at drum gear (my new hobby) or pickup some new guitar strings, and that's easy enough to do online when stores try to enforce draconian policies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            My local Walmart has just hired private security to guard the door and roam the aisles looking for people not wearing masks.
                            It's a nationwide policy for Walmart. Thankfully, most stores in my area respect the fact that the governor's mask "order" is optional, and I'm able to shop unmolested. I mostly go to Aldi these days, and they're pretty reasonable. They don't even bother to "sterilize" their shopping carts anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Let's look at that in context:

"Some people, I think, are afraid even to leave the house without a mask on. I've seen folks wearing masks while walking by themselves in the open air, or driving in a car. It's nuts."

That kind of behavior has nothing to do with "saving lives", it's textbook paranoia.

As for "saving lives", that's a specious claim anyway, especially when talking about the kinds of masks that are available to the general public which do almost nothing to stop the spread of disease. You need a mask approved for hospital use, and those tend to be very expensive and are only sold to medical facilities. You're not going to find them at the corner grocery store. Wearing an ordinary cloth mask to stop the China flu is like putting up chicken wire over your windows to keep the flies out.

So not only are people being driven to paranoia, they are being induced to do something that offers little to no benefit to themselves or anybody else.
                              Unfortunately the facts are against you. In a study of two hospitals, one in which the mask was mandated, the other wasn't, and the staff at the first did better at stemming out the virus. But keep on ignoring the facts to suit your ill-conceived ideas about this pandemic.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                                Unfortunately the facts are against you. In a study of two hospitals, one in which the mask was mandated, the other wasn't, and the staff at the first did better at stemming out the virus. But keep on ignoring the facts to suit your ill-conceived ideas about this pandemic.
                                Right, in a hospital setting where one is in extended face to face contact with sick people, and one is using masks specifically designed to be used in that environment, that's exactly what I would expect, so no surprises there. An ordinary cloth mask, on the other hand, will do almost nothing to stop the spread of something like the Wuhan virus and is not necessary for something like walking through a grocery store where your chances of catching the China flu or any other disease simply through breathing is effectively zero.

Comment