Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

On Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Alcohol

Do you drink or not?

Link

------

Should we or should we not drink? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Yesterday I was doing a survey online and questions about alcoholic beverages came up. Now I am someone who has never drank alcohol in my life and in two months I turn 40 and I have no intention of changing that. However, I went to my Facebook to find out how many people are like me and have never drank alcohol.

I want to be clear at the start that I do not abstain from alcohol because alcohol is a sin. I don’t think that’s a biblically sustainable position. I avoid for personal health reasons. I am an underweight man and I realize it would not take a lot to get me drunk. My fear is I would lose control and hurt someone I love someway.

So let’s consider some data about it.

First off, I don’t know the alcohol content in the past such as in the times of the Bible, but I do know that it was enough for people to get drunk and for Solomon to warn against that in Proverbs. It’s tempting for some people to say that it was just grape juice that was drank in those days, but I don’t think there’s a basis for that. It was real alcohol.

We also know the first miracle of Jesus was turning water into wine. Now some could say that wine had no alcoholic content, but I think that that is something the writer would somehow point out. Either way, it’s an argument from silence. When the text says wine, we should assume that it was wine.

We also know that Paul encouraged Timothy to drink a little wine instead of just water to help with his stomach and frequent illnesses. The book of Psalms tells us that God gives wine to gladden. However, not all of us have illnesses that require wine. As for wine to gladden, that is true, but it is also said that a man is to delight in the wife of his youth and may her breasts satisfy him always. Because that is part of the purpose of the wife of one’s youth, it does not follow that everyone ought to have a wife and if someone is not, they are sinning. Someone can be celibate for their whole lives and still be in the will of God.

That means Scripture doesn’t forbid us to drink, but at the same time, it doesn’t command us to drink. That means then that we go with the path of wisdom. So what are some dictates that we are to follow?

Personal health has to be a big factor. If your doctor tells you to not drink alcohol, it is best to avoid drinking alcohol. My wife doesn’t mind a drink when we’re out at a restaurant, but now she’s on medication that forbids it. Because of that, she doesn’t drink.

There is also the point of causing needless offense. If you are around someone who has struggled with alcoholism or has lost someone to alcohol and you are aware of this, then it is probably best to abstain for the sake of not offending that person. You may do what you will in the privacy of your own home, but outside of that, it’s best to be sensitive to those around you so that you don’t cause someone to stumble.

There is also your personal health to consider. Do you have an addictive personality? You should probably abstain then. Perhaps you’re like me and don’t want to risk getting drunk because you’re a smaller person. Then you can seriously consider abstaining. However, if you think you can control your alcohol, you have freedom to do so. This comes with the caveat that if experience starts to show you can’t, then you should abstain.

If alcohol is becoming a problem in your life, I recommend you join a group like Alcoholics Anonymous or Celebrate Recovery. If you have a loved one struggling, there’s also Al-Anon and Alateen.

Interestingly, Welch’s grape juice was made to help deal with alcoholism. Welch knew someone who struggled with alcohol and did so again after a Communion service. The grape juice was made so that something could be served at Communion services for those who can’t drink alcohol and for my own personal tastes, I have never took Communion where real alcohol was used.

So this comes down to personal wisdom. If you want to drink, then be sure to practice self-control and if you cannot, then get help. If you don’t want to drink, that’s fine too. Don’t automatically condemn everyone who uses their Christian freedom to responsibly enjoy alcohol.

But as always, I look forward to your thoughts on this.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

I catch grief sometimes for my saying, "I quit drinking when I became old enough to start".

I don't mean that to condemn anybody else, but this was about the time I began my police career.

I was raised in an independent Baptist church, were alcohol was pretty much forbidden.
    Our "Church Covenant" was prominently displayed on the wall in the auditorium, and one of the "covenants" was "I will not use alcohol as a beverage".
    Like many teens, I decided to check that out, and got involved in underage drinking.

I started off as a police dispatcher, not yet old enough to be sworn in to carry a gun.

One of the first things I noticed was how many "domestic violence" situations involved alcohol.
    Then, how many motor vehicle accidents involved alcohol.
    And, how many fights and brawls and shootings and stabbings involved alcohol.

Then I was sent to Breathalyzer Training, which involved far more than learning how to run the machine.
    It focused quite a bit on the alcohol-related scenarios police officers face.

One of the facts (this was way back in the 70's, so i don't remember it all) was about how may people were killed in alcohol-related accidents, where the person consuming the alcohol was uninjured, but caused the deaths of others.

That actually had far more influence on my decision not to drink than did my Baptist background.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I catch grief sometimes for my saying, "I quit drinking when I became old enough to start".

I don't mean that to condemn anybody else, but this was about the time I began my police career.

I was raised in an independent Baptist church, were alcohol was pretty much forbidden.
      Our "Church Covenant" was prominently displayed on the wall in the auditorium, and one of the "covenants" was "I will not use alcohol as a beverage".
      Like many teens, I decided to check that out, and got involved in underage drinking.

I started off as a police dispatcher, not yet old enough to be sworn in to carry a gun.

One of the first things I noticed was how many "domestic violence" situations involved alcohol.
      Then, how many motor vehicle accidents involved alcohol.
      And, how many fights and brawls and shootings and stabbings involved alcohol.

Then I was sent to Breathalyzer Training, which involved far more than learning how to run the machine.
      It focused quite a bit on the alcohol-related scenarios police officers face.

One of the facts (this was way back in the 70's, so i don't remember it all) was about how may people were killed in alcohol-related accidents, where the person consuming the alcohol was uninjured, but caused the deaths of others.

That actually had far more influence on my decision not to drink than did my Baptist background.
      I don't think that statement comes across as offensive or preachy. It's perfectly legitimate to make that sort of decision bases on personal experience. In college, I decided to be rebellious and not drink myself because I saw how obnoxious other people behaved when they did.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I don't think that statement comes across as offensive or preachy. It's perfectly legitimate to make that sort of decision bases on personal experience. In college, I decided to be rebellious and not drink myself because I saw how obnoxious other people behaved when they did.
        Laughing - in High School, I decided to be rebellious and not wear long hair. Turned out to be a good decision, because when I finally allowed my hair to grow long, it just got really curly and oily. HAIRCUT!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I grew up in a home without alcohol, and except for a tiny bottle of champagne that my husband got when we were married, which I didn't like, I have not been a drinker. I don't like the smell or the taste of any alcohol.

And, I saw the effects of alcohol on my younger brother, also raised in the same home, which resulted in his death by suicide at the age of 35, leaving 2 small children behind.

My children were raised in an alcohol free home. My son does not drink. Sadly, to me, my daughter and her husband do, although they are very controlled, to my knowledge.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I started drinking at a very young age. I was in 3rd grade. Started drinking heavily in High School and even heavier after that. A lot heavier. But since I drank for the pleasure when it started costing me more in hangovers and the like I cut back dramatically. I called it the pain/pleasure principle. At one point I was drinking less than one beverage a month for several years. Two of my good drinking buddies continued at the same pace (with one replacing beer with Jack Daniels and becoming a literal falling down drunk) and both suffered from heart attacks and died during the same Summer. That was three or four years after I quit drinking with them. We were from the same graduating class and they died 13 years after graduating.

Today, I might have a drink or two about every other day. If I go to my favorite Mexican restaurant on Margarita Monday I'll have two.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I got drunk OFTEN in the military in my early career. Too drunk. It almost cost me an Article 15 when I got busted for underaged drinking outside the Airman's Club... in the ditch passed out in my own vomit. Having to run back to the barracks behind my grumpy First Shirt was not a pleasant experience, nor was the Letter of Counseling I received from the Commander the next morning. I realized I had a problem, and have not drank since. I have made a rare few exceptions, like when I visited Fenway Park. My wife knows, and keeps me accountable if I ever do decide to have one beer.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                I got drunk OFTEN in the military in my early career. Too drunk. It almost cost me an Article 15 when I got busted for underaged drinking outside the Airman's Club... in the ditch passed out in my own vomit. Having to run back to the barracks behind my grumpy First Shirt was not a pleasant experience, nor was the Letter of Counseling I received from the Commander the next morning. I realized I had a problem, and have not drank since. I have made a rare few exceptions, like when I visited Fenway Park. My wife knows, and keeps me accountable if I ever do decide to have one beer.
                I have a good friend like that. He admits it's weird, but he will, on a rare occasion, have "one beer" in the company of somebody to whom he is accountable, just to feel the "victory" of having one and stopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I have a good friend like that. He admits it's weird, but he will, on a rare occasion, have "one beer" in the company of somebody to whom he is accountable, just to feel the "victory" of having one and stopping.

Wow.

CP has a good friend.

Who knew?!

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                    Wow.

CP has a good friend.

Who knew?!
                    You're jealous.

Comment